Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

FiTech on an old school Big Block???

Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

OMG. Go tell somebody else about it.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I'd rather go with a used 98+ engine (already has the FI tech and so forth)
You realize that FiTech is a company offering an actual product and isn't some sort of forum shorthand for Fuel Injection Technology, right?

Anyways, OP, I haven't had direct experience with FiTech's products, but I am currently building a 355 for an 81 El Camino that will be receiving a FiTech unit. The nice thing about FiTech is that the GoEFI 600 can control both fueling and timing, which should definitely help with, well, everything. And their fuel command center, while an added cost, is a really ingenious way of maintaining your mechanical or low-pressure electric pump and fuel system while still delivering the needed 58 PSI for the unit. Personally, whenever I am given the choice between a carb and EFI, I will always select EFI.

There are plenty of YouTube videos of people giving reviews of the system, and they are all positive reviews. It is a very well thought-out system, and is the best thing for getting EFI on an older engine without going the 24X route.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

The command center is a neat idea and I would be going that route myself. Keep all my stock lines, tank, pump, everything. You have an extra pod taking up room, but if room isn't an issue it is a great idea.

I bought my truck because I WANTED something old school tech wise, so an FItech would go against that, but it's still all nice and neat in a little package that bolts to my existing carb manifold. If it gives me an improvement in MPG and maybe a little power over my out of tune carb it would be great. It would also be great to not worry running lean when WOT or towing. I bet it even comes with nice, leak free modern gaskets.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Sorry if what I have to say, you don't want to hear the truth.
Your version of the truth is about like Hilary's version of the truth.... Nobody in their right mind believes it or cares what you say. You have your opinion and everyone else has theirs... Funny how everyone else's contradicts what you say!

Still not sure what two piece seals (that work great by the way) have anything to do with the performance or mileage of this engine.....Because it doesn't!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Your version of the truth is about like Hilary's version of the truth.... Nobody in their right mind believes it or cares what you say. You have your opinion and everyone else has theirs... Funny how everyone else's contradicts what you say!

Still not sure what two piece seals (that work great by the way) have anything to do with the performance or mileage of this engine.....Because it doesn't!
Thanks. Wasn't looking for some nut job to chime in and talk about seals. I was and am looking for some good insight and hopefully real world experience. I understand that I'm reaching out to mostly lsx folks, but I know a lot of you are experienced in carbs and small and big block motors as well.

I know that the system has limitations compared to moder multi port with more sensors and sophistication. I'm not looking to pull down 30mpg. What I'm looking for if I invest in it is something that will help improve mpg and ALSO make sure that might motor is safe in a myriad of weather and load conditions. There is a good 80 degree swing in seasonal temperatures here and, as I said, my load and type of driving vary. There is a huge difference between a steady 65 mph on flat ground when it's 90 degrees and pulling long hills at varying speeds when it's 30 out. Or vice versa on the temp and load thing.

I bought a good, new carb, 02 sensors and said let me get this thimg dialed in. Then I stumbled across this FItech and realized that it's roughly the same cost as my new equipment AND that made me think that no matter how dialed in my carb is it will always be dialed in for a certain set of conditions.

My goal with this truck is to keep it relatively stock and simple. I have three other modern cars and didn't realize how much fun it is to tinker with old school stuff again. It's what I learned on. It became addictive to tinker with it. And there is no way in hell that I would swap a ls into it. No way that I would attempt a complicated fuel injection system. I want simple. And there is NOOOOOOOOO way in hell that what I would pull the original 396 out of a low mile 1968 vehicle. It's the number one thing that I love about. (So go **** yourself you garbage posting, ignorant nerd).

Anyway, I just want to know if this basically simple, budget doable system is right for me.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, and a numbers matching 396 at that you ******* dickwad. Unreal.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Folks, I’m just seeing this thread and I have knowledge of this system But first:

Stop the back and forth BS about what works how why and when. Let’s keep it on the OP’s topic. Nothing useful to add about using an aftermarket all-in-one FI system? Say nothing.

I've greatly researched these systems from FiTech as well as a few others, I even started a thread over in FI ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...i-systems.html ).

There’s a really good (and long) active thread about FiTech’s systems over at the chevelles.com forum that I'm participating in.

From what I gather, for the most part, these systems work pretty good. If you have a big cam with low vacuum, the system will be troublesome. FiTech’s Fuel Command Center (FCC) has been the cause of problems for a bunch of guys. The can absorbs heat, the pump gets hot, there was a few issues. Also, from all the posts, for a “self learning system”, there seems to be a lot of users that needed to re-work the settings a lot. FiTech tech support? Depends on who answers the phone. Seems one guy is great, the other gets it wrong.

There have been many people who install the basic system and it is bolt and run with good results.

I would suggest when going with this or any bolt-on system like it, invest the effort and dollars to get a baffled fuel pump into the gas tank with a return. Aeromotive has that nice Phantom system you squeeze through a hole you drill into your existing tank.

As far as installing FI on an old school engine: Back in the day, the ONLY thing that made my Monte run good was the Holley Pro-jection4 system, the grandpappy to all these systems.

For my Monte? After comparing all these systems, I’m going with the more expensive FAST EZ-2.0. It has more features, a fuel pressure sensor and a much more powerful computer module. The FiTech would work but I want something more.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 09-14-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Thank you for your first three sentences.

The comment on the FCC is disappointing. Despite being a rather large vehicle, these body style Suburbans do not have a whole lot of airflow. They breath through the grill openings and the openings are not very large. Underhood temperatures get rather high. What they are exactly? Dunno. And maybe they aren't excessive compared to the average vehicle, but I do know that it seems pretty damn hot under there. So if heat is an issue with the FCC, well, that's an issue.

Which sucks. I'll look into it more. The FCC is one of the beautys of this system IMO. It's one of the things that makes it a true bolt on, driveway type install. Dropping tanks, drilling tanks, uck. It's not the end of the world but I'd rather not.

Holley system - two grand for the 2 barrel. Ouch. What kind of fuel upgrades are needed?

FAST systems, just took a peak. $$$$ They get pricey really quickly.

Again, I bought a new carb because I knew that the systems I ws aware of were out of my price range. The FItech SEEMS to make it feasible. I have a mild cam and am not looking to do anything crazy. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like they are using a super cheap pump in the FCC but that it can be replaced. I skimmed the thread on chevelles.com because it's massive. Seems kind of mixed.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Sounds like they are using a super cheap pump in the FCC but that it can be replaced. I skimmed the thread on chevelles.com because it's massive. Seems kind of mixed.
In the later pages of that thread, a few people came up with solutions to the FCC problems.

I also thought the tank in the front was a great idea BUT it's a NEW idea (I actually had a similar idea in the '80's but never built one, the float & valve held me back). As with any technology, in time it will improve and mature and there will certainly be better products out there.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

The issues do sound addressable. Though the idea of storing a gallon of gas under your hood is questionable for safety and heat issues. Is fuel flowing fast enough to keep a fresh supply in there or am I just simmering my fuel before it gets to be used?
Old 09-15-2016, 12:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No, the tank is somewhat stagnant. It only allows fuel in from the low pressure (stock) pump as the level drops with use from the injectors. Think of it as a float bowl in a carburetor.

A high pressure pump in the tank with a return line is better because it helps keep the throttle body cool.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Stagnant, right. At temperature would one normally start seeing problems with fuel? It's got to be around 150 degrees underhood while idling, if not more. Or am I way off on that?

High temps have got to be detrimental to electronic pump life as well.

I know a return system is best. Again, looking for a true bolt on experience. The whole idea starts to lose its luster the more into things one has to delve. I think FItech is aware of that. My Suburban isn't a build, it's my DD right now, can't afford to have it down. And I can barely afford a Saturday afternoon.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
The issues do sound addressable. Though the idea of storing a gallon of gas under your hood is questionable for safety and heat issues. Is fuel flowing fast enough to keep a fresh supply in there or am I just simmering my fuel before it gets to be used?
I don't think a gallon of fuel is going to be risky if it's in a sturdy tank, In any crash an electric fuel pump can quickly pump a gallon or more of fuel out so I don't think the risk is increased that much by having a gallon sitting there. As far as heating the fuel it would be easy to insulate a one gallon fuel cell. If you can install the whole system for not much more than the cost of the carb then I would seriously consider it. In the end if it's operating correctly it should deliver better drivability and slight increase in economy and performance over a carb in good working condition.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I think you're on the right path with the FiTech system. Studying the thread on chevelle.com will show you how to avoid the few pitfalls. Go for it I say.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

This guy has a good thread as well. I mention reliabilty, additonal fail point on the last page and he says that it has quit on him once. The FCC got too hot and stopped working while idling for too long. I idle in traffic a LOT. Not getting any warm fuzzy feelings about reliability. He also said that he had to send the whole unit back for a new one.

He was early on when the units just hit the market and maybe they are working the bugs out. But I NEED reliability. I'm gonna poke around a little more. My next project is getting my trans installed in my Silverado. The Suburban will likely be parked for the winter. Uck, winter. Noooooooooooo!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

I thought I posted this link before but maybe not. It's a pretty decent thread. The guy is an electrical programmer of some type and seems to know his stuff. We got into some back and forth banter towards the end and he just told me about why the FCC's may have been/are having heat related issues. If you're interested in FItech it's not a bad read.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...83#post7719983
Old 10-16-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

While I don't have any personal experience with FiTech systems, I would personally get what I'd call a "full package" system, i.e., one that also controls timing. These systems all will compensate for air temp and elevation changes.

Another setup you might look into is the Holley Sniper EFI. It's a reasonable price and has quite a few nice features, and directly competes with Fitech. I have an 86 C10 with a 5.7L Vortec that I converted over to a carb, but now I'm looking back into EFI systems. The mid-end FiTech and Holley Sniper are both on my research list, but I think the Sniper system might win me over.

Either one will be a great improvement over an untuned carb. While I have nothing against carbs, I'm spoiled with the 'set-it-and-forget-it' style all these new EFI systems bring!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Nick. Funny you mentioned the Holley Sniper. I JUST saw this yesterday randomly on the back page of a Summit catalog that's been in my garage for a while and thought hey, I should check that out. Fi does offer timing control, but I don't know that it does anything special except set your curve but that's still useful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FiTech on an old school Big Block???