Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Crank Trigger Ignition benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Trigger Ignition benefits?

What are the benefits of running a crank trigger ignition on a gen 1 small block Chevy vs a regular HEI setup?
Old 10-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50 years of technology
Old 10-15-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

You'll have a more efficient and precise spark with individual coils versus a distributor. The more teeth on the trigger, the more precise the spark will be because the computer will better know where the engine is in its cycle.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a crank trigger setup on my SBC conversion for a few reasons. First I cant remove the distributor with the engine in the car so I went with a gutted Pro billet MSD distributor and now dont have to worry about anything inside of it going wrong all it does it distribute spark. Second its a much more accurate way of controlling the timing of the engine, When you check the timing the line will not move at all it is dead steady, With a standard distributor you have a lot of factors down the line, timing chain slop and the lash between the cam and the gear on the distributor which are what makes your timing line jump around when you check it. I really like my crank trigger setup alot!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of more distributor clearance and less need to service it. The engine will be very stuffed into the engine bay so that's a plus.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your putting a carbed small block into a fbody you will definitely need room for the distributor. I cut a bunch of material out to make room. The crank trigger is the way to go, They make a super short "crab" distributor and with that you may not have to cut anything out to get it clear. I have a SB2 distributor in my car which is fairly tall

Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use efi connections 24 tooth reluctor. With a gen 3 ecm for my turbo build . It allows me to use hp tuner to tune it.
Its one of the best things you can do to a Gen I or II engine.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default MY 60-2 (58x)

YES, there is a GREAT increase in the accuracy of the Spark Instant.
I am a member of the modern inventor team, the FIRST DIS with a 60-2 (GM58x) and a Laptop GUI calibration ability. (Circa 1984)

The OP question, "Crank Trigger" : The Spark Accuracy CAN BE WORSE than a distributed ignition system WHEN a FOUR tooth TW is fitted (MSD) to the crankshaft.

YOUR Vortec Oil Pump Drive (1/2 Moon) CAS choice could be fine if you use TWO coils "AND/OR" to keep the Coil Dwell at a higher amount.
Then fit a 60-2 to the crankshaft, you could also use eight/four coils.

NOW the reason : A four tooth Crankshaft TW can have OVER twenty (20) degrees of Timing Lag @ 2500 RPM Acceleration !
The magnet direction, strength, and temperature effects the accuracy of the ignition.

The use of MY 60-2 TW has a resolution of 1/4 degree @ 2500 RPM acceleration rate, the best required for an engine.
The TW tooth count 36-1 (Ford 37) is 1/3 degree, very good, also fine for an engine.
The TW tooth count 24-1/2 (GM-24xe) has a resolution of TWO degrees, about AS good as a Distributor, so WHY change.

This 60-2 "Technology" IS 30 years old AND when the patent expired in 2006, World Wide use is OBSERVED.

If you ask for my help, I will specify MY IGN-8 DIS ignition box, my 60-2 TW, (most sizes are based on the common front dampers), the VR sensor, AND my coils, one from the IGN-x family.

A more modern choice is to replace the engine front cover, the TW then fits next to the timing chain.
I have manufactured/sold this product for many years, thus field service is proven.

MOST common fitment is a "cut-off" distributor, the "Oil Pump Drive", or one we sell that is made for SBC/BBC engines, (gear choice material required) AND eight "TTL" coils mounted on the frame rail next to the oil pan.
The BAJA race car most often has an under dash coil location due to MUD.

If you would like my help just ask ?

Lance

Quick Reply: Crank Trigger Ignition benefits?