Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Hi tech Big Block questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi tech Big Block questions

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have some questions that I need answered. First, a little about the engine I'm planning. It's going to be a big block 427 that's going to be built off of a gen 6 block, a set of AFR heads that the specs read 335cc intake runner, 121cc combustion chamber, 135cc exhaust runner, max valve lift of .85". Cam will be a Comp Cams supercharger cam, specs read intake duration of 224( @ .050), exhuast duration of 236, intake valve lift of .537 (w/ factory rockers), exhaust valve lift of .547, and a lobe separation angle of 113*. Supercharger will be a Whipple W305ax on one of their multiport fuel injection intake manifolds that's going to be getting their stage 1 intercooler, blower pulley will be a 4.25" and crank pulley will be a 7" which will make ~10 lbs of boost if my math is right. Oiling system will be a dry sump system with an electric pump instead of a belt driven unit. It's going to be getting coil near plug with a kit from EFI connection, some info on how I plan on building the car. It's going to be a 1972 Chevelle that's going to be built more or less in a pro touring fashion, it's going to be getting a T56 magnum that's built with the dog gear conversion kit from PPG, the pads on the forks are going to be upgraded to bronze pads, and clutch is going to be a Stage 3 kit from Diamond Clutch. Rear axle is going to be a Moser 12 bolt with 35 spline axles, a Wavetrac differential, gun drilled axles and the PRO flange option, what that is I don't know. Haven't started planning out the fuel system, cooling system, or the electrical system. Now here comes my question.

The timing chain that comes with the kit doesn't include a cam sprocket with sensor marks ground into it or forged into it, which I don't know. I found a sprocket from Lingenfelter that's listed as being used for everything to the LS1 to the LS7 and everytihng that numerically comes in between. Will an LS sprocket work on a big block? If not, does anyone know of a sprocket like the LS one that's on Lingenfelter's site for the big block?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default MY 60-2 (58x)

The EFI-24x group will sell a 58x TW (60-2) for the same price if you ask for that option.

The Spark Accuracy WILL increase from the 24 tooth 2 degrees to the HIGH 1/4
degree accuracy of the 59 tooth TW.

I would fit EIGHT of my coils, from the IGN-1 family.

MY camshaft choice would have MORE exhaust duration AND a 121 L/C.

Lance, BTW my ECU-882C-2 would work well for your build.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:55 PM

Ok, I'm actually planning on using the cam and crank wheels from an 02 8100 Vortec, however, would the spark accuracy make much difference performance wise? I'm planning on using a set of Granatelli's Malevolent series coils simply because I would use them on any true LS engine build and any engine build that uses LS ignition architecture because they seem like a better option than the factory coils and I don't like how the MSD coils have the pigtail connection and the plug wire connectors are on the same side.

On the point of choosing a different cam, how much more exhaust duration would you recommend? Will a cam that's compatible with a gen 4 block work in the gen 6 block? Or can i fit a gen 6 timing cover on a gen 4 block? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:19 PM

So is it possible to be able to drive a cable driven throttle body with an ECU that's set up for a 58x reluctor wheel? Would it be easier to change that part in the ecu that the sensor sends the signal to to look for a 58x signal instead of a 24x?
Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

Default MY 60-2 (58x)

Hi, NO the TPU inside the GM - E?? is internal to the the Main Processor, a BGA.

I am VERY SORRY that your choice would be to remove my coils and fit a lower grade coil.
The FOUR Tooth TW (8.1 Vortic) is BELOW a distributed power trigger's accuracy in most cases.
Thus your answer = YES

Your 2nd question, MY EMS = sure thouigh I would like to know your EMS, the GM-E??

I know AS A FACT, I sell many DBC conversion kits for the GM 90mm Air Door.
The same question is asked often, my only answer is it has been done.

The last question : I have a camshaft 212/256 @ 116 C/L used in boats with Bravo Drives that the boat owners love.
Your case : I would fit a Crower "cast" Hyd Roller, cast dist gear compatible, into your GEN-6 as done for a Mercury Marine engine, my customers, Fountain boat owners.
Your case camshaft : I would fit a Crower 226/256 @ 121 C/L, I .590" E .526" . (GM LS-9 style)

Lance
Old 01-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi, NO the TPU inside the GM - E?? is internal to the the Main Processor, a BGA.

I am VERY SORRY that your choice would be to remove my coils and fit a lower grade coil.
The FOUR Tooth TW (8.1 Vortic) is BELOW a distributed power trigger's accuracy in most cases.
Thus your answer = YES

Your 2nd question, MY EMS = sure thouigh I would like to know your EMS, the GM-E??

I know AS A FACT, I sell many DBC conversion kits for the GM 90mm Air Door.
The same question is asked often, my only answer is it has been done.

The last question : I have a camshaft 212/256 @ 116 C/L used in boats with Bravo Drives that the boat owners love.
Your case : I would fit a Crower "cast" Hyd Roller, cast dist gear compatible, into your GEN-6 as done for a Mercury Marine engine, my customers, Fountain boat owners.
Your case camshaft : I would fit a Crower 226/256 @ 121 C/L, I .590" E .526" . (GM LS-9 style)

Lance

I've one from using the factory 8.1 ignition parts and will be using a 58x crank reluctor from EFI connection, OD measures 4 inches, cam sprocket will be an LS3/LS7 stule that's compatible with a 4x cam position sensor. I'm going to be using an LS harness from Speartech and since I'm going to be using the 58x crank reluctor I'm going to be purchasing a 305ax blower from Whipple instead of the 8.3L one I was going to buy becuase they offer an axial inlet option that can be set up with dual electric throttle bodies. But what's the problem with the Granatelli coils?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Default Arc Duration/Piston Position

Hi, thanks for your report.
The use of the 58x will ALSO allow for MUCH better Coil Dwell control.
That amount of dwell SHOULD be MAP based.
I will provide you with Coil Dwell values for use with our fitted coils.

The Delphi required Arc Duration length is known/ordered.

The coil you ask about : I have never been able to get Arc Duration information.
You could have better luck ?

The Arc Duration IS effected by Plug Gap, "pico load" by Delphi Engineers.
The coil in question : What is the mj of energy ?

The art of creation voltage is as simple as the "turns ratio" math.
This has NO/LITTLE effect on coil energy.
They do not state the use of Rare Earth internal magnet/magnets.

I am able to test coils both with Pico Load and my CO-2 Spark Plug Test Chamber.
I would be able to test both at the same time with your approved witness ?
This would be a free test if you supply your coil of choice.
Jala has also tested many coils, mine/others, in his lab in Finland.

Lance

Quick Reply: Hi tech Big Block questions