Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Older 350 in 4th gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Aww
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older 350 in 4th gen camaro

i know this has been covered several times but I have been unable to find the information I've been looking for. I'm trying to get details on how to get an older 350 to fit in the 4th gen. I got the engine put in, and it hit the firewall to where I couldn't get the engine mounts to line up. Do I need to beat in the firewall, weld in new engine mount locations or buy some sort of k-member adapter? If I need to beat in the firewall, how much do I do so without causing any other damage? If I need to weld the engine mounts, where should I mount them with regards to the steering knuckles? And if I need an adapter, can you send me a link to one that would work? I am trying to just get this Camaro running. I got the roller for $400 and the engine for free. I was able to trade the 4l60e that came with the body for a 700r4 so I didn't have to mess with the wiring harness. That is why I am going with the older 350.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a older small block in my firebird and I am using the stock motor mounts and k member in my car. When going from the LT1 to a older small block you will only be able to use 2 of the 3 bolt holes on your side motor mounts because the LT1 has a slightly different bolting pattern. As far as cutting the firewall I had to cut mine a lot to get my distributor to clear, The stock LT1 distributor was on the front of the motor so there isn't enough room back there to get things to clear. I only drive my car on mice days so I removed a bunch under the cowl and also got rid of the windshield wipers arms and linkages to make roo for a 14x3 air cleaner. I have lots of pictures on my swap on my thread, You can check it out here. Hope it helps!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...2-19-13-a.html
Old 01-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Aww
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it does help. I see I will need to cut out for the distributor and air cleaner but my valve covers were hitting the back firewall right above the opening for the flywheel to transmission connection. Do I need to bend that portion of the firewall back some? Because after I got the engine in and got it all the way back up against that part of the firewall it still wasn't far enough back to get both engine mounts attached. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have something off, I have lots of room between my valve cover and the firewall and I have tall covers to clear my stud girdles. do you know if the car was originally a v8 car? If it was a v6 car before im not sure if the k-member and motor mounts are different or not and may cause your problem. You can kinda see the room I have on my car.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 383 forged tubo engine .I have a gen 1 sbc running a gen 3 ecm. May be something to think about. Does away with use the distributor for spark . Also allows you to have a true MPFI system.

Quick Reply: Older 350 in 4th gen camaro