Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

help - '97 vortec/Edlebrock top end.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - '97 vortec/Edlebrock top end.

I need some insight here guys. I have a '97 vortec and live in a non emissions area (just visual). I am strongly considering an Edelbrock top end kit. Their P/N 2096 along with a FiTeck self tuning unit (30003)

Top end kit consists of:
7516 performer air gap intake. Vortec head style - no egr.
60985 heads, 2.02/1.60 vortec style
2207 cam, .594 lift/242 duration on 112 LSA

Heads are assembled and matched with all the other components and also has new timing set, lifters, rods etc... The new parts list also includes a built trans, rear etc.

Obviously need tuning - not sure how far i can go or what and be deleted, am worried about all the existing sensors and such.

Am I headed down the wrong path here? Concern with MAF, MAP, Evap purge solenoid, injector harness... Do these all get tuned out? You just remove the harness for them?

Help...
vodka0tter is online now Report Post
Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after receiving a recommendation from some one, I think the FiTech EFI 4 is a better solution. It also controls spark. I assume a HEI computer controlled is the best route here.

Any recommendations for a tuner?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default AFR Control by EGO

Hi, when I invented the "self tuning" code twenty years ago, I found a great amount of confusion when a camshaft such as yours was fitted.
The UEGO readings varied a GREAT amount with a HIGH OVERLAP camshaft.

The OEMs such as Ford, GM, Fiat have also tried this with some success (block learn mode).

The TRUTH is that a mild cammed engine can work well when the UEGO range is wide (Self Learn)
The term "self learn" is just one that makes you believe in their product.

The TUNER you need to find FIRST, the one that knows the EMS fitted.

Lance
Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm assuming this is still in your '97 truck? If so, with a 97 Vortec, I'd be looking more at a 24x conversion than going the FiTech route.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if your gonna go through the work its gonna take to convert to a true fuel injector setup over the stock spider assembly you might as well 411 and LS swap it.

I'm a fellow vortec guy and if you wanna exceed the stock fuel system ability an LS swap is money better spent. Sure you can get a intake for vortec heads that is a true EFI injector setup, but they are about as much as a entire salvage LS motor. Then you have harness work to do for the new injectors, tuning, ect.

With the amount of money your looking at I'd recommend the swap.

Quick Reply: help - '97 vortec/Edlebrock top end.