Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

In need of help Tremec 3550 to SBC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of help Tremec 3550 to SBC

Hey everyone! I have been reading a ton of posts lately and can't seem to find the information I need to help me finish my project. This is my first time posting so bare with me. I have a "frankenstein" 1981 Camaro.

I bought this car with the current set up in it. It has a SBC, Tremec 3550 transmission, and ford 9" rear. It also has a Wilwood master cylinder which is relevant.

Anyways when I bought the car it was a retired strip car so the tranny was shot as well as the clutch. I pulled the transmission had it rebuilt and replaced the clutch and flywheel. Of course there was challenges along the way to make these two different manufactures fit together such as having the input shaft milled down to fit the GM pilot bushing.

Anyways, I couldn't identify what hydraulic throwout bearing they used before so I went with what I thought was the right choice. A McLeod. I have phoned a friend and even had Summit Racing (their headquarters is close to me) come look at it. They took their measurements and tolerances and said it would work. However, I went through THREE McLeod throwout bearings because they blow out and lose all their fluid and pressure. I'M OVER MCLEOD and after reading reviews learned others were having problems as well.

I'M LOOKING FOR ANY SOLUTION OR IDEAS.....

I'm not oppose to a T56 transmission because an LS will eventually make its way under the hood. I feel a T5 is a waste of my time but i'm not sure. I want to keep this car a manual so I'll pass on any automatic advice.

Car probably produces close to 400hp at the crank that is why i'm not sure about a T5. Anyways, the car has 2,000 miles on before I tore it apart so there is a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a lot of different throw out bearings that fit the throw out bearing tube for a Chevy. I imagine there are a lot for Ford if the tube is a differing size.

To get away from McLeod, shop Tilton, Quartermaster, and others which cater to roundy-round racing. I don't know if Wilwood offers one.

If you have a lot of depth / room to work with, you might even be able to machine an adapter to take a late model Tremec throw out bearing for a large variety of OEM applications. GM did something like this on the V6 T5 Camaros 96-02. I like OEM style parts that can be found at 9pm on a Sunday if they fit and work properly.

There are a huge and different number of ways to do this. Things that probably matter:
Exhaust clearance, driver's side.
Bellhousing.
Depth between pressure plate to bearing retainer.

I would do it differently than the next guy, but again, lots of ways to do it.

I don't remember seeing your post on Nasty Z28, but there are guys with a lot of different style setups who might have some options for you.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Mathew,

Thanks for the information. This helps to send me in the right direction. I'll look into the tilton and reach out to people on Nasty z28.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call these guys, they may be able to help you. http://www.moderndriveline.com/
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Great Thread.

Quick Reply: In need of help Tremec 3550 to SBC