Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Possible project in the future: 383 SBC in a 94 Z28.. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible project in the future: 383 SBC in a 94 Z28.. need advice

Well, first off... this is my first post here, I am 17, just started a Votech class to become an auto service tech because I love cars, and got my 94 Z28 for $2200 from an older guy with now 194,5XX+ miles on it. It's in awesome condition, but still... being so far up there, I was looking at rebuilding, and short blocks, long blocks, etc. I'd love to do a 383 LT1, but that would require so much crap just to support the new bottom end, and figured I could get an entire 383 SBC long block for $2550 from RPM:

Street/Strip Stroker SBC 383 4 bolt main block, Eagle cast steel 3.75" crank, Eagle SIR 5.7" rods, KB Performance or Sealed Power hypereutectic 9.6:1 pistons, Sealed Power rings, solid or hydraulic flat tappet cam, double roller timing set, new balancer and flywheel, pushrods, new OEM rockers, OEM heads with Manley 2.02/1.60 stainless valves, HP springs, locks, and seals

I saw a few posts on this site that helped greatly in seeing what an end product could look like. My main concerns are keeping it drivable in the sense that I will need to retain the windshield wipers and as long as it gets like 10mpg I'll be happy(I don't have a long commute to work or school, and once I'm out of HS I'm planning on getting a beater for daily driving). I know that to keep the wipers, I'd need a low profile intake and carbuerator... and it will obviously need to have an air cleaner on it as well.

Another thing that I'm concerned about are keeping the power steering and brakes. I don't have a problem losing power steering, but the brakes seem a bit scary. I'm not sure what is entailed to keep those intact.

And finally the transmission I have is a 4L60E, so I am not sure how long that could hold up, let alone the stupid 10 bolt rear... If those could survive being babied, I plan on saving for those parts when the engine is in.

Any comments/help is appreciated!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive done the same swap. Wipers still intact, all fits under stock hood, power brakes, power steering etc. But if you arent worried about gas mileage, why dont you go with a th350 or 2004-r instead of the 4l60e? I dont think the 4l60e will work with the carb motor, you would probably have to go 700r4. Do a search. Its amazing how many times this has been covered. Welcome to the site by the way.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

You'd be better off buying the Eagle cast crank,a set of GM Powdered Metal rods and a set of KB pistons, a good cam, like a CC306 and having the stock heads ported. You'd prabably come out ahead.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

The LT1 is a good motor, I would focus on it.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definatly do an lt1, they are stong durable motors, for your 383 im not too sure, all i know is that i am planing on doing the same project except with FI. Good luck to ya man, WELCOME TO LS1tech.com
Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys, I think I will end up sticking with the LT1... I think I'll just get the basic bolt ons like headers/cai and then a few things it's in need of(tune up, madz28 tune, paintjob). Then I think I'll look into the suspension(adjustable LCAs, panhard rod, new shocks/springs).

I think this thread is done, I'll go over and post in the LT1 forum now

Quick Reply: Possible project in the future: 383 SBC in a 94 Z28.. need advice