Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

clearance issues?

Old 09-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clearance issues?

Ok here in my set up: stroked 454, 1 inch nitrous plate, 2inch spacer plus carb in a 96 Camaro. With all of that it looks like I am going to need an 8 inch cowl hood is there anything I can do to cut down on the hight ie: custom oil pan, k-member etc?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back to the top....

I would like to know as well. What about keeping the wipers?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Default BigBlock F Body

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat but not as of just yet!I'm dropping a 439cu in BB in a 95 Camaro.I presume at least a 6" cowl will be required.I am on the cage and frame connectors so I cant tell yet but very soon.This part doesnt worry me much as I make pans,covers and intakes so I will make a pan to fit!lol What does worry me is to get rid of that electronic thing and have the speedo to work!!! Every thing electric for that matter.Have any of you delt with this part of the conversion yet?I am going carbureted so all the help I can get would be much appreciated.Oh! if you need help with a pan let ne know.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking about leaving the ECU in place, and hooking the sensors up to the new motor (oil, temp, alt), and that should still allow the speedo to work as well. I would imagine the Check Engine light could be deleted, and I doubt the tach could be made to work, but that was my train of thought at least.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah but what about the speed sensor in the tranny that the speedo reads off of?I dont think that a 4l60 can take 800lbs/ft of torque???
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorporate the nitrous spraybars into the 2" spacer. That saves you an inch right there. Why must you have a 2" spacer? If you need space, cut it to 1", and incorporate the nitrous into that. You won't lose that much HP. Just saved you 2"!

Jim

PS IMHO, an 8" cowl looks weird on any car.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

customfab, I have a TH400 in my car that still uses the stock speedo. Cruise control still works as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by customfab
What does worry me is to get rid of that electronic thing and have the speedo to work!!!
Thanks!
I've used a Speedo Buffer from a late 80s full size pick-up and re-calibrated it to send the correct signal to the speedo in the dash. There is a web-site that has the info on how to recalibrate it for your gears and tire combo. I've even used this same thing to send the signal to the factory cruise control to make it work after a swap.
Here is the link to web-page that explains how to recalibrate the DRAC module (VSS buffer)DRAC Recalibration

Originally Posted by customfab
Every thing electric for that matter.Have any of you delt with this part of the conversion yet?I am going carbureted so all the help I can get would be much appreciated.
If you are going to leave all of the factory wiring in the car then you'll be able to just unplug the ECM harness under the dash and on the fenderwell and everything else should work. If you trace the wires for the gauges and add them back on the new engine (and use the sensors from the old engine) you can use the factory gauges. If you had a V6 car the tach wont read correct. In the car I'm working on I got a V8 gauge cluster so the tach would work.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was under the impression that the LS1 used a different tach signal, and therefore a standard V8 would send a wierd signal to the tach. Maybe I read something wrong.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
I was under the impression that the LS1 used a different tach signal, and therefore a standard V8 would send a wierd signal to the tach. Maybe I read something wrong.
Yes, the LS1 uses two pulses per revolution (same as a 4 cyl.), but he mentioned a 96 and Customfab mentioned a 96 Camaro. Mine is a 95 Camaro with a 98 Front clip.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks Sandmann 120 and Prostreet z28.Your input will be of great help.
Will let you know how it goes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clearance issues?