Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Red HOT Headers - Literally

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Red HOT Headers - Literally

Engine:
350 Chevy bored 30
B&M Cam designed for the 144 Blower that is on the engine
Hydraulic lifters
750 manifold referenced Holley

I recently had problems with my engine, per this thread. I replaced my lifters, and 2 bent push rods, 2 broken rocker studs, and 1 pushed through rocker arm - for a total of 5 valves that weren't working (engine still ran though

With that all happening, I did have some backfires through the carb, so I replaced the power valve on it as well.

Now that it is together, it is running Great!

However, both headers (Sanderson block huggers) are literally red hot in the center, where all 4 tubes gather. I had this in the past and came to a conclusion on something, and I seemed to fix it.

But I don't know why it would be back now.

I'm not offering what I had done, as I'm interested in what you folks here think, without my planting any ideas. If what I had done in the past was it, I wouldn't think I would have it now.

What do you think?

Appreciate your thoughts.

BTW...I've posted this very post on 3 different forums. I hope I haven't frustrated anyone who may happen to frequent the same forums.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there are several conditions to cause the glowing.

But, in my experience, it is usually a indication of the timing being too retarded.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that in fact is what I think was the biggest part of my fix, which I achieved this afternoon. I increased my timing from 10 advanced to 18.

I also had a lot of discussions with people in another forum about lean vs. rich. I called Holley, and they pointed to timing, and possibly rich.

At any rate, I think it's in good shape, and timing was the main culprit.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad thats all it was.

Quick Reply: Red HOT Headers - Literally