Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Lifter question, stock-ish setup, new engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter question, stock-ish setup, new engine

Hey,
914-V-8, custom 930 trans
I have a new (2000 miles) 350 SBC. It has real mild cam maybe stock but has no markings on it. The rocker arm are the ones with the stock GM look but have a roller machined in. I have 20 psi of oil pressure at idle (7-900 rpm), 30 at 3K, 60 at 4k etc. I began to here a lifter (one) make noise after a few hard runs. Now its doing it more often. I don't know which one it is but its only one, at least one at a time. I don't know what brand they are and was thinking the most likely problem is the lifter. Another thing I did notice #7 exhaust lifter felt less solid after adjusting. (engine not running method). Can anyone set me straight here, chime in with there experience?

Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I thought I would give you guys an up date. I drove the car again and herd more than one lifter clacking. I removed the engine and disassembled it. Now I found metal in the pan, real fine particles. I removed the pistons and the crank thrust (with only the crank installed) was huge, over .050 I didn't use a dial I placed a feeler gage in-between the crank and the main cap. This can't be right??? I have a heavy pull type clutch could this be a factor??

Last edited by Old Drive-ability; 12-20-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Thats strange the guys on the other forum had a lot to add, maybe they just know more on the subject. Thanks anyway

Quick Reply: Lifter question, stock-ish setup, new engine