Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC pontiac cylinder head

Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC pontiac cylinder head

I know a guy that has a set for sale along with everything including the rocker arms, springs, valves and intake manifold. I know nothing about these heads except that you can use them on a small block chevy. I've been searching for information on these heads such as which pistons to use or flow numbers or anything but have come up with nothing. I also read somewhere else that a special cam is needed for this head, can anyone verify any of this? I appreciate any info.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

http://www.dartheads.com/sbchlittlechief.aspx

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Cyli...s/10033867.jpg

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Cylinder_Heads/sbc.html
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haven't seen those darts yet. Ill look into those right now. I've seen that sallee-chevrolet already but it doesn't tell you much at all, just the basic run down. Im not sure if many people use this head or what but its hard to find much on these. Thanks for those links by the way.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

These heads are popular in NHRA Comp. "type" classes, but are high dollar for most street or general comp. users. Equal power can be made with more inches and conventional heads/intake with less effort. SB2's are also another option if you're looking for something "exotic" in a SBC. What do you plan to use the engine in/for?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I only considered the pontiac style heads only cuz the guy we know has them along with the rocker arms and all the other stuff for those heads. We're on a budget so I hear you on the conventional heads which aren't that expensive. We have a 4 bolt main small block already so we're thinking about just boring it out to a 355 and going high compression since I'm not fond of using nitrous. I plan on using it for drag racing with SOME street scenery. One head i was actually checking out were the Brodix Track 1's. They seem pretty impresive for the money but I may be wrong.

Also another quick question. I have a 1050 dominator that we had originally bought with the intentions for a big block. Now that we're going small block, would it be too big for the small block? The combo I have in my head right now are for a 355 roller motor with about 12.5:1, a .640" cam with Brodix Track 1 heads and a single plane edelbrock super victor intake. That's just a rough sketch for now.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

the dominator should work great with that combo.with a mostly strip combo i wouldn't think twice about the dominator.most of the time you will lose alittle vaccum signal going to a bigger carb like that but you will increase hp so your times should be quicker at the strip.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow trap
the dominator should work great with that combo.with a mostly strip combo i wouldn't think twice about the dominator.most of the time you will lose alittle vaccum signal going to a bigger carb like that but you will increase hp so your times should be quicker at the strip.
Sweet! I'm happy with that since we don't have to disregard the dominator since we already bought it.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by 69chevy
I only considered the pontiac style heads only cuz the guy we know has them along with the rocker arms and all the other stuff for those heads. We're on a budget so I hear you on the conventional heads which aren't that expensive. We have a 4 bolt main small block already so we're thinking about just boring it out to a 355 and going high compression since I'm not fond of using nitrous. I plan on using it for drag racing with SOME street scenery. One head i was actually checking out were the Brodix Track 1's. They seem pretty impresive for the money but I may be wrong.

Also another quick question. I have a 1050 dominator that we had originally bought with the intentions for a big block. Now that we're going small block, would it be too big for the small block? The combo I have in my head right now are for a 355 roller motor with about 12.5:1, a .640" cam with Brodix Track 1 heads and a single plane edelbrock super victor intake. That's just a rough sketch for now.
Here is a formula which "ballparks" carb. size.

Engine size (cid) x max. rpm/3456 =cfm

@100% VE (volume efficiency)

Example: 355 cid x 7,500 rpm = 2662500/3456 = 770.399xxx
(again, not sure how far you plan on spinning your motor)

Going with this formula, and your set up, I think the Dominator will be too big. I'm not sure how far you plan on spinning this motor, but I would think a nice 750 (a good one usually flows at least 10% more when modified and air horn removed = <825) would be more than enough. I know you already have the 4500 series carb, but you'll be jetting that crap out of that trying to get an optimum exhaust temp. If you want an idea carb. I'd go with one of the Race series Demon's with adjustable venturi's and air bleeds, although they are pricey. Call Barry Grant and see what they recommend...it's free!

http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=5

Click on the "Technical Support" tab and there is a phone number to call them.

Last edited by BADMOFO; 12-20-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure if compression makes a difference on carburetor but in the future, we might up the compression maybe somewhere around the 14:1 range. Any kind of forced induction is too expensive for us and nitrous, well, I don't like it at all. So i'm stuck on a platform on which we have to go with and that's all motor. Also, is there a process in which you shave the deck of the cylinder heads to get more compression? I might just be making that up but is even possible?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Milling the cylinder heads reduces the size of the combustion chamber, and in turn increases compression. It depends on what size (CC) chambers you are starting with as to what size you can optimumly go to. I still think that carb is too big unless maybe you were going with a larger cam (.700 or so), more compression, and idealy more inches. I think it will be a ton easier to tune with a 4150 series (type) carb, but still would ask the people at Barry Grant for their opinion to confirm.

Last edited by BADMOFO; 12-20-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

A 1050 Dominator will be to big for your combination. I would go with the 750 CFM 4150 HP.

Unless you are going to build a comp style motor with Huge Lift and duration and you plan on spinning the thing at 11,000 RPM (Remember how many valve springs you will eat $$$) I would be very selective in your parts. Just because you can get a deal on a set of heads does not mean that they are the best for you combination. You are better off matching all the parts now and building the engine once..if you mismatch everything you may be disappointed in the end result.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so a dominators out of the question then. I don't plan on going exotic parts (not off the shelf kinda parts) as money becomes a factor im sure. I just plan on building a pretty mild motor but we'll see what the money allows us to do . I appreciate the info.

Also, it turns out that the guy that's selling the pontiac heads (in first post above) is also selling a 377 small block. We found this out today so we're now looking into this. He has it in a 3700lb chevelle and runs 11.70's on motor. My camaro will probably weigh in at 3000lb so we'll see what he says about selling it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SBC pontiac cylinder head