Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Why do I keep fouling plugs?

Old 12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I keep fouling plugs?

Motor Specs:

• 383ci
• 4 Bolt Main
• Forged Alum Flat Top Pistons
• Forged 5.7 Rods
• Lunati Hydraulic Cam 246 Duration / 520 Lift
• Camel Hump Heads
• Comp Cams Valve Locks w/ Lash Cap Recess
• Comp Cams Steel Retainers
• Comp Cams Double Valve Springs w/ Damper
• Stainless steel valves undercut
- 202 Intake
- 160 Exhaust
• Victor Jr. Intake Manifold w/ Air Gap
- Port Matched
• Holley 750 Double Pumper Carburator w/ 2" Spacer
• Double Roller Timing Chain
• Mallory fuel filter canister type w/ replaceable filter
• MSD Pro Billet Distributor
• MSD 6AL Ignition
• MSD Blaster 3 Coil
• MSD Adjustable Timing Control
• MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Plug Wires
• Hedman Headers 1 3/4" Primaries to 2 1/2" Pipes w/ Flowmaster Mufflers

OK I had some Autolites spark plugs in the car and ran fine until I started getting many misfires during idle so I changed them out to Champion J63Y which I believe now are 266. Anyway those ran just as good but got fouled as well. I say fouled meaning they are very wet with gas. I would crank the motor and it would take the typical 3 or 4 times to start with giving it some throttle. (That 750 double pumper really dumps a lot of gas as you already know). I had it running/ideling perfect... a perfect lopey idle and a warm motor. Then I said well let me turn it off and then try to start it again without touching the gas pedal. It wouldn't crank so I gave it more gas and every since then it won't start. I checked the plugs and they are wet. Why is this happening when the motor is fully warmed up running fine, turn it off, try to crank it up again and have to give it more gas and fouling plugs? Carb needs to be tuned? Not a hot enough plug? I'm not sure which plug I should even be using because I didn't build the motor or know the compression. I'm sure the compression is high though. What plugs are normally used with a smiliar setup as mine? I was told with that carb it's not good to let it sit idleing because it's dumping so much fuel down the carb and it's not burning off as much as it should?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do I keep fouling plugs?