Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2002-up 496/8.1L BBC info please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002-up 496/8.1L BBC info please

Does any previous years intake and heads fit these? or are they all by themselves. If so,what year/gen fits this block and heads. Also what about cams,standard OEM roller?
Thanks for any info.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default 8.1 liter

I have a 8.1L for sale. It was pulled out of a truck with 90,000 mile son it. It has a piston pin(it sounds like) making noise and the owners didn't want to take a chance on it( it had good oil psi). We put a low mileage motor in his truck for him. The motor is complete from intake-pan. I can send you some pics if you want. Will make a good deal on it. The block I believe it is like a Gen 6 BBC, taller lifter bores,timing cover and coolant holes(heads also) on the deck is different than a normal BBC. I also have the ecm for it..but the harness has been cut up, so you would need a harness.

email me jp85iroc@***.net
Thanks

Last edited by JPATI; 02-15-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Does any previous years intake and heads fit these? or are they all by themselves. If so,what year/gen fits this block and heads. Also what about cams,standard OEM roller?
Thanks for any info.
8.1s are a taller deck which makes the motor taller and wider than a conventional BBC. Heads are "symetrical" port and do not interchange with an earlier motor. They are all hyd roller motors. They are pretty much all by themselves as far as interchangability with an earlier Rat. They should fit fairly easily into an earlier truck or so but the taller deck and wider at the exhaust ports is gonna create all kinds of clearance issues with headers, etc in a car. Plus the throttle body aims "up" at an angle that would most likely run right into a cars hood. HTHs........... Bill
Old 02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the 8.1 have a reluctor wheel like the LSx motors. Where does the factory computer get the signal for the coil packs?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Check out Raylar Inc. for performance parts.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Do they share the same OE rollers as previous years? What about exh port spacing,are they the same as other BBC's to use aftrmkt headers? Would a late bbc head physically bolt on as far as coolant passages and head bolt alignment,and use an aftermaket intake?
Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default 496

This is the first 8.1 that I have seen..Hell I didn't even look at the intake to see that it does have symetrical port heads..but it does). Not sure on the other questions..I have a friend that is the part guy at the local chevy dealership..I will ask him tomorrow. The exhaust pattern looks the same.

later

Last edited by JPATI; 02-15-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Do they share the same OE rollers as previous years? What about exh port spacing,are they the same as other BBC's to use aftrmkt headers? Would a late bbc head physically bolt on as far as coolant passages and head bolt alignment,and use an aftermaket intake?
Thanks for all the info.
Exhaust pattern is the same AFAIK. The heads, deck surfaces and head gaskets are all unique to the 8.1 and will not interchange with an earlier BB. The 8.1s also do not run water thru the intake like a conventional BB does, they use a coolant transfer tube that bolts to the front of the heads and mount the thermostat housing and rad hose off it. That would "kill" any idea of using "conventional" earlier brackets and accys since they mount off the front of the heads. Even if you could bolt the earlier heads to the block you would still have intake problems due to the tall deck which would require a wider intake to bridge the distance. And they are NOT the same deck height as an older tall deck truck block either so you couldnt use an intake or spacers made for them. HTHs...... Bill
Old 02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Does the 8.1 have a reluctor wheel like the LSx motors. Where does the factory computer get the signal for the coil packs?
They do use a reluctor wheel so thats where the signal comes from. HTHs..... Bill
Old 02-16-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by billg
They do use a reluctor wheel so thats where the signal comes from. HTHs..... Bill
thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

so there is no way to carb this engine?

or use BB performance parts for an earlier BB ?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You simply changed a long block in somebodys truck and yet took their ECM AND cut out part of their harness ? Are you sure this isn't a junk yard motor ?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default 8.1

yes it is. We put a used motor(out of a RV) that had 4,000 miles on it. They are the ones that cut the harness on the used motor. We just took the used motor and swapped the harness and coolant by pass from the rv to the 1 ton.

Quick Reply: 2002-up 496/8.1L BBC info please