Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC swap guys, i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SBC swap guys, i need some help

I had this motor running great for 2 months, now all of the sudden it wont start. My setup is the mallory unilite with blaster coil and ballast resistor. I tried checking the resistance in the resistor and there isnt any. What would make these resistors go out? Also is the stock ignition wire a resistance wire or not? Ive narrowed it down to either the resistor or the coil, both of which are brand new. The ignition module is fine and im getting plenty of fuel. Timing is dead on. Im so puzzled, this thing ran amazing for the last months and now it wont run at all. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

my big block did the same thing and the resistor even though it was new went out...replace it with one from your local parts store...why they go bad is anyone's idea..I am not sure.

Everything you have said to check is ok so I am guessing that the resistor is your problem...hard to say without seeing it but worth a shot... good luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

I used to run the Mallory Unilite but had nothing but problems... I got sick of replacing the Unilite Pick-up.

They are very sensitive to any fluctuations in the electical system. You are not supposed to jump a car with this distributor because the pick-up will fry.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im already sick of it. Ive replaced it once and am tired of worrying about it going out again. But I cant do much about it unless i want to drop the motor.