Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

carb'd sbc... retaining gauges/windows/etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carb'd sbc... retaining gauges/windows/etc

just as the topic says, when i do finally get a carb'd sbc(or bbc if i'm feeling that ambitious) how can i keep my factory cluster, headlights, windows, radio, key fob, etc working? Do i pretty much need to cut and solder every damn wire in the car?

Can any of the tuners(pcmforless, madz28, etc) Just delete the engine/tranny controls and parameters out of the pcm?

sorry if this has been answered, but i searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer and i'm dying to know.

thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the headlights, windows, radio, etc. go, they should be on a separate configuration all together. But, when it comes to getting your factory guages to work, I think you might be out of luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, retaining the stock gauges is quite simple.
Tach - youll need the instrument cluster from a z, but just hook the white tach wire up to your coil.

Speedo - i kept my stock computer so that my speedo would work (6 speed), but dakota digital makes a buffer box, or you can get one out of an older truck (i think it was prostreetz28 who did that)

fuel - untouched

voltmeter - untouched

oil pressure - i just got an adapter from ACE hardware to plumb my stock oil pressure sensor into the top of my intake manifold, if you have a one piece rear main block, you can also utilize the low oil light

water temp - will work with sensor in side of cylinder head

Am i missing anything? Its actually very straight forward and very simple.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome... thanks a lot guys. It's a long ways away because i'm going to UTI which is costing me $$$ and i don't make too much at my job, but i'm definitely going to get the ball rolling on a small block buildup soon. Any more advice/tips/experiences you guys have would be greatly appreciated