Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Balancer/Timing problem. Need QUICK help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Balancer/Timing problem. Need QUICK help!!!

You know the age-old mixup where one has a balancer with the mark at 12 o-clock, and the timing tab at somewhere near 2 o-clock?

How many degrees of seperation are there really there? I know if you litterally take it to be 12 and 2 you get 60*, but im sure its not exactly that.

Ive searched for the last hour and came up with one number, 8*. And thats something that changed in the 70's. Regardless, its much more than that. 8* would still show up when you set timing, but this mark is nowhere close to where it should be.

If someone knows the exact difference, I could put the right mark on my balancer and get my car back together.

Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest the best thing to do is check with a piston stop tool and a degree wheel.

Once you have Identifided 0* TDC you can mark you balancer to match you timing marks
Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I think I got it. I used a piston stop last night, but I wasnt clever enough to think about turning the motor backwards and marking dead in between the two marks to get the exact TDC.

Anyways, after a little bit of experimentation, I got the right mark on the balancer. Turns out, it really was only 8* off from the other mark. Go figure...

She runs awesome now. More power and less hesitation. I think it still needs lighter springs for the advance. I also re-tuned the idle circuit and idle speed. Its running like a champ.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Chevy had 3 different marks, the two you have that is about 8* apart and the 3rd is the one that is up behind the water pump which would be the 12 O-Clock
The way I tell the difference between the two ballancers of the 8* is if you look at the ballancer from the front without the pully on look at where the timming mark is in relation with the crank keyway one is inline with it and the other is off a little and the one for the 12o-clock is off a lot
if its a used ballancer becareful as the outter ring slips sometimes

Wade

Quick Reply: Balancer/Timing problem. Need QUICK help!!!