Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Best Deal SBC complete crate motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Deal SBC complete crate motors

Alright to start off with I'm 14 (the car in my sig is my brothers I'm just representing it) I'm planning on getting a job and a car this summer maybe a chevelle or a thirdgen and I've already started looking at crate motors and bare blocks but I think I'm gonna go with a crate motor I was looking at the GM preformance parts ZZ4 350 crate motor or the edlebrock preformer RPM crate motor (the 320 hp version) I was just wondering if there were any better deals out there I did think about going with a LS1 but I dont have that kinda bread are there any better deals out there or should I just start with a bare block and work my way up.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you would be better off looking for a motor through a friend of a friend or somewhere along that line. Some of my dads friends have sold motors in the past that run pretty good for a street motor for cheap. You just have to have patience and look around and ask people. For example, I bought a 377 for my camaro for $4000. It may seem like a lot but the motor ran 11.80's in a 3700lb chevelle. Unless you want to start from a new motor then exclude everything I said .
Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crate motors are a nice starting point, but you'll most likely want to start swapping stuff from the way GM sends it and it usually ends up costing more in the long run.

Try a local speed shop/machine shop to see what they offer. Talk to racers at your local track and see what they use/build or recommend.

Derek
Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hardcore Peformance and Shaffiroff build some Kick *** drop in Engines
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

What about pulling a motor out of a salvaged/wrecked car? A lot of salvage yards sell them? Not the best, but you could find one in decent shape and definately affordable for a starting project.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

yeah I think I'm getting ahead of myself gotta get the car first then go from there a while ago my brother told me there was a LS1 going for 1500$ and I have thought about a donor car wouldnt be a bad Idea
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

best deal to go fast is like they said wait and look for deals on already forged and ported or aftermaket heads with a cam in it and ask around ....

but @ 1500 $ and ls1 ... carbed or fuel injected (search the cheapest) with a cam and springs is a good deal (remember on a thirdgen if you`ll use LS1 and it`s aircinditioning there are some cutting and welding job or an aftermarket K-member)

note: stock LS1 heads flow better than some aftermarket gen I sbc heads and the intake valves are already on a better angle than the older 23 degree .... exhause ports I don`t remember the LS1 size

another note : check your states laws if you`re running on the street they might say if you`ll run an engine it has to have all the engine emmisions or your cars year emmissions or what ever.

hope this helped.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help. Its gonna take a while for this project to be completed but recently my brothers friend got a 89 GTA from the boneyard for 200$ it has alota potential and it runs! I probably wont have the same luck but I'm sure I'll find something else

Quick Reply: Best Deal SBC complete crate motors