Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspection

I was speaking with a mechanic today, and he told me that i couldnt get a newer camaro, like a 96, with a big block past inspection because it was carbed and they wont allow that? is this true and is there any way around it?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:02 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This depends on where you live. Some states still have a visual inspection, while some have laws on both a sniffer and/or swapping earlier engines into late-model cars. I'd check your local dot laws and see.

Derek
Old 10-07-2006, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

there ways around it!! I have a 1996 with a carbed 1gen motor....I went ot DMV, told them what i Had...they asked me to bring a list of reciets for EVERYTHING I have got..I brought them stuff for over $25,000...They classified it as a "kit car"..they changed the VIN numbers and re-titled it as a kit car....Worked out really well...the bad is my car want be classified as a WS6 anymore...but I dont care, I dont plan on selling it!!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

As long as you don't have a sniffer test you'll be just fine with the visual safety inspection. But if you haven't bought the Camaro yet try to get one with the OBD1 computer.

Of course if you do have a problem getting the sticker you can always take a sticker off another one of your cars and place it on the Camaro Must be same computer type car. Just use a heat gun to get it to peel. This will only work if they don't have your inspection information listed in the state database. In North Carolina all OBD2 96 up cars are checked by computer all 95 and under cars are still visual.

The shop where I get my cars inspected told my to just take one off my pre 96 model car and place it on my Camaro and then come in and tell them I left my window down at the mall and came out and my inspection sticker had been stolen. He told me that your wouldn't believe how many times that actually happens.

Quick Reply: Inspection