Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

How long have you had an electric pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long have you had an electric pump?

HOw long did your electric water pump last?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Stewart 7 years, still works great, track only.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CSI/CSR, going on 4 years with 1-2 days a week driving and 20-30 weekends of racing.

Derek
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

mines going on 4 years of track use
Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Which electric water pump would be good for a 383 stroker. This is a street car and would only see the track once in a BIG while. I've seen some proform, are these any good.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 75bird
Which electric water pump would be good for a 383 stroker. This is a street car and would only see the track once in a BIG while. I've seen some proform, are these any good.

Thanks
The CSI/CSR is what I'm running on my 383. May cost a little more than Proform, but I've heard nasty things about some proform stuff since they are ripping off certain designs. But hey I'm only one opinion....
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your opinion
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you need an electric for? just put a good aluminum one on it!

BTW- I have a CSR/CSI on my 496@!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Street cars should have an alum mech pump, I don't like taking a chance for the small amout of HP loss you are trying to save.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Street cars should have an alum mech pump, I don't like taking a chance for the small amout of HP loss you are trying to save.

I'm curious on why you think electric water pumps are a bad idea on the street, even from a manufacturer that states they are good for street use?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I'm curious on why you think electric water pumps are a bad idea on the street, even from a manufacturer that states they are good for street use?
ever feel your electric water pump after driving for awhile, and the motor is so hot you cant touch it?
I just dislike them for the same reason as elec fans, and fuel pumps, electric parts fail more frequently than your typical mechanical part...
Ive NEVER seen a flex-a-lite mechanical fan not work, Ive never seen an aluminum mechanical water pump fail, and Only after about 70k miles have i seen a stock GM mechanical pump off my dads 1970 Trans am fail...

do the electric pumps work and work great... Yes without a doubt, if you have them run properly through a relay they could probably last forever..But for street, I hate using electric bullshit.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
Ive NEVER seen a flex-a-lite mechanical fan not work, Ive never seen an aluminum mechanical water pump fail, and Only after about 70k miles have i seen a stock GM mechanical pump off my dads 1970 Trans am fail...
Mr. Obvious says "even the best parts fail eventually."
Old 02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nate81Camaro
Mr. Obvious says "even the best parts fail eventually."
I never said it couldnt happen, I just said electric happens more frequently...
I just like mechanical
I have a customers 70 camaro bone stock suspension(with air shocks in the rear) weighs 3700#'s with a 383 runs 10.70's@ 125mph mechanical fuel pump stock clutch fan, edelbrock water pump,never goes over 160, never starves for fuel..
I mean Carter and other companies now make those mechanical fuel pumps that flow over 200 gph, and not belt driven, stock location mech pumps...
Im NOT saying electric stuff dont work, but I do think it goes out and needs replacing and maintenance more frequently.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Hey, I wasn't disagreeing with ya. I just couldn't resist replying when you said :
Ive NEVER seen a flex-a-lite mechanical fan not work, Ive never seen an aluminum mechanical water pump fail.

There's more reason than just cost to why I'm running a flex-a-lite fan with a mechanical high flow water pump.

-Nate
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

A belt drive anything will spin with the motor, I had an electric H2O pump crap out and blow a head gasket, and it wasn't worth the money it cost to get home, pull head, new gasket, time & effort to repair. I don't care what they say, a belt drive will last longer and be more reliable than an elect. Hell a wire can break, connector come loose anything. 5-10 whatever HP is not worth it in my book.

I've also been 60 miles out in the boonies and had a fuel pump die. You try half assing some pump from a farm store to get home you'll understand why my opinion is mech pumps for street cars.

If it's a hot rod, track and close to home only car than I think that's a different story.

I'm old and very conservative, keep it simple and you'll be happier in the long run.

I see 6 second cars every day with belt drive oil, fuel, H2O, vaccum pumps ect, and they don't mind trading reliability for a few HP.
Obviously as a drag racer, I'm a fan of electric fans & H2O pumps for between rounds cooling. That's why I spend $1000+ for my dual drive H2O pumps. On the street all my toys have a alum mech pump and always will.

Just offering my opinion & many years of experiance, people can take it or leave it.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
7 Second Club

Well, then we're screwed considering almost EVERY car made now is using an electric fuel pump, and quite a few are using electric fans. My Carter 8 psi electric pump has lasted 8 years on 2 different cars, and is now being replaced due to not holding sufficient pressure at WOT (likely seals or the vein just being worn out), plus I'm stepping up to an Aeromotive for my new bullet.

I'm not an expert here either, but considering what I've seen work on PLENTY of street/strip cars makes for a good argument against the blanket statement of "I wouldn't use electric ______ on the street."

I just like mechanical
I have a customers 70 camaro bone stock suspension(with air shocks in the rear) weighs 3700#'s with a 383 runs 10.70's@ 125mph mechanical fuel pump stock clutch fan, edelbrock water pump,never goes over 160, never starves for fuel..
I mean Carter and other companies now make those mechanical fuel pumps that flow over 200 gph, and not belt driven, stock location mech pumps...
Im NOT saying electric stuff dont work, but I do think it goes out and needs replacing and maintenance more frequently.
Hope your customer doesn't race at the track and ever get hot lapped, b/c that clutch fan and belt-driven pump sure doesn't help it cool down after runs unless you're using an external fan or blower. 10.70s with air shocks is impressive since I think they are garbage for weight transfer, but bone stock suspension? Come on, it doesn't have a traction bar of some type and at least looser shocks in the front?

Derek
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

10.70s with air shocks is impressive since I think they are garbage for weight transfer, but bone stock suspension? Come on, it doesn't have a traction bar of some type and at least looser shocks in the front?

Derek
But with air shocks your able to stick the *** end way up in the air

Unfortunately, when I got my camaro it had air shocks on it. I have yet to replace them with either Koni's or Billstein's, but I'm going to.

For a track/rarely (under 5k a year)/intown car, a electric waterpump wouldn't be so bad. I plan on replacing my flex fan (that sounds like a supercharger...it's loud) with a electric fan. I maybe drive my car 300 miles a month so I probably could get an electric waterpump, but the closest 1/4 track to me is 108 miles and I'd like to go more than a couple times this year.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hope your customer doesn't race at the track and ever get hot lapped, b/c that clutch fan and belt-driven pump sure doesn't help it cool down after runs unless you're using an external fan or blower. 10.70s with air shocks is impressive since I think they are garbage for weight transfer, but bone stock suspension? Come on, it doesn't have a traction bar of some type and at least looser shocks in the front?

Derek
bone stock, stock leaf springs, shackles,bushings, no sub frame connectors, its not stockish gas shocks, stock springs control arms, 8.5" 10 bolt with a 4.56 gear...

And it gets hot lapped, has won a few bracket races also, sure it heat soaks when it gets turned off, but as soon as you fire it back up its fine...
We just run a reducer on the thermo housing during race days, 160 stat for the street.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

So someone with 30 years working on cars can't have an opinion.
A street car with a carb doesn't need a electric pump, which an injected car comes with stock.

A 20 year old guy asked a ?? I recomended keep it simple and even said it's just my opinion, and I'm very conservative.

A couple of us like mechanical over electric on street cars and get crap for our opinion. There is no 100% right answer, and the blanket statement is my opinion, and will stay my opinion. There was no argument, give your opinion, explain why if you want, and don't start crap when people have different opinions.

My crew chief has a 950-1000 HP strip 95% time, 5% street car and we are putting a mechanical fuel pump back on it. So we do it ourselves.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
7 Second Club

bone stock, stock leaf springs, shackles,bushings, no sub frame connectors, its not stockish gas shocks, stock springs control arms, 8.5" 10 bolt with a 4.56 gear...
Unless it's jacked way up in the back, I'd hope he'd be a little concerned by the marks the driveshaft makes when it get rotated skyward due to no traction bar or other similar device limiting the rotation travel. I could easily be wrong here (big surprise, right?), but it seems very odd to have no external traction device at those kind of e.t.'s. What kind of 60 foots are we talking here?

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

So someone with 30 years working on cars can't have an opinion.
A street car with a carb doesn't need a electric pump, which an injected car comes with stock.

A 20 year old guy asked a ?? I recomended keep it simple and even said it's just my opinion, and I'm very conservative.

A couple of us like mechanical over electric on street cars and get crap for our opinion. There is no 100% right answer, and the blanket statement is my opinion, and will stay my opinion. There was no argument, give your opinion, explain why if you want, and don't start crap when people have different opinions.

My crew chief has a 950-1000 HP strip 95% time, 5% street car and we are putting a mechanical fuel pump back on it. So we do it ourselves.

Fine, your welcome to your opinion, I never said otherwise. I'm just stating facts here on new STREET cars, and you had to get upset. I stated my opinion, and you get defensive.

Use whatever you want, that's your call.

Yes almost every car is fuel injected, but still why do you think electric fans and pumps get used over belt-driven? Improving on old ideas maybe? Technology advancement? Should we all go back to driving on bias-ply tires from 30+ years ago b/c they did it right back then and newer stuff isn't worth the risk?

Sorry to get off topic here, but I'm allowed to voice my opinion, just like you can yours.

I guess agree to disagree here?

Derek

Quick Reply: How long have you had an electric pump?