Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Building a Single Turbo BBC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Single Turbo BBC

Im currently building a race pickup. Its a 90 454ss or was. I have a art morrison chassis, 9in ford rearend, mustang 2 front, and a 454 with a single turbo. most of the chassis and body fab is done but I need some help with the motor. I have a 454 .030 over, crower crank, forged pistons, billet rods, 8:1 comp, brodix BB2+cncd heads, accell gen 7 efi. thats the engine. I bought a pt 106 turbo, but i want to mount it in the back of the truck right behind the cab. I would like to know what size tubing i should use to make my headers. what size should the crossover be? Ive never built a turbo motor before, this one used to have a procharger on it. I would like to make between 1800 and 2000 hp. I also will have to buy a cam for it and any suggestions on who can get me a good one.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its race only then why only 8:1????

Why do you want that thumper in the back? I would mount it in the front with the inlet facing the grill and get some air in that sucker.

Don't know much about the crower cranks. Are those forged pistons good high dollar ones or just forged?

PM that Kentuckey turbo and performance or whatever they seem to know a lot about BBC turbo cars.

I think to take advantage of those heads you will need to go to 500 cui range.

Most people don't understand that you have to have the bore and CUI to get big heads to work well with your motor.

My car has out of the box 454 aluminum heads on a 468 BBC. On a 150 shot out of second gear the car traped at 136mph. This winter I am having the heads and intake ported, porbably a better cam and going to hit it with a 275 out of the hole. I think 150mph trap speeds are pretty realistic. Not bad for 454 C port heads.

The worst things you can do for an engine is have to big of a cam or to big of heads.

I bet if you call Brodix they will tell you those heads need to be on a larger BBC.

There is a local guy here with two older Lightnings. One is the tow truck that runs 11's. His race truck has a tube chassis now and a turbo big block.
The monster put down like 1800hp at the crank on mid boost I think they said.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. the heads are for a 454-509 they are 320cc intake runners 2.25 int and 1.90 exhaust. I do want to run on the street every once in a while. that motor made 1200 hp at the crank with the procharger. but I do understand that turbo cams and supercharger cams are different.

but you think I should up the compression even if i want to run over 30#s of boost?
any advice on header size.

and I would like to put it in the back just cause space limitations. from the outlet of the headers to the inlet of the exh housing really isn't that far, but I haven't done anything yet so this is why Im trying to get some other ideas.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id still double check with Brodix and see what they say. You might be ok with the 320, might even be perfect.

If you want to run on the street just a little I would bump up the compression and run nothing but C16 or something with a big air to water IC. More compression means more power (to an extent, you will hit a wall with power after a while) You might look into the blow threw carbs, big thread on it that should still be on the first page in this forum. Lots of people making well over 1,000hp on them no sweat

On header size thats dependent on how much air you are pushing. With a 106 its going to be quite a bit but again you don't want to go to big.

On the cams the difference between them is the turbo cams have more work in the exhaust side of things.

Make sure you have REALLY good high boost turbo pistons.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Teching In

thanks

Quick Reply: Building a Single Turbo BBC