Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

My 89 Iroc-z engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 89 Iroc-z engine issues

Hey,

I was wanting to see if someone can help me out. My car has been running really rough when i start it. The RPM's keep jumping up and down between 500 and 1500 rpm's, and when i press the gas it dies.

I was suggested to get a new Mass Flow Air sensor, which I did and the problem still persist.

Im kinda stuck on what I should try next...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We has a whole bunch of problems with ours. Did you check the prom, or the fuel injectors?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
We has a whole bunch of problems with ours. Did you check the prom, or the fuel injectors?
I haven't checked the fuel injectors yet, am I just making sure that they are tight and not damaged, or is there something specific to look for. Also I dont know what you mean about "check the prom"
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cml11109
I was wanting to see if someone can help me out. My car has been running really rough when i start it. The RPM's keep jumping up and down between 500 and 1500 rpm's, and when i press the gas it dies.
Is the SES light on? If so, be sure to scan for codes, which is a very easy process. If you already checked for vacuum leaks, you might want to clean out the Idle Air Control valve, cuz just like a sticky choke found on a carburetor, the IAC's tend to get just as sticky in the throttle body. When you pull it off, go over it lightly with some carb cleaner, and a tooth brush, lightly. Don't push in, or bend, the pintle....

You said you replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor, with no positive results. However, have you replaced, and/or checked, it's corresponding connections; the Power and Burn Off relays? You might want to double check to see if they're connected firmly, with no loose wire terminals. In fact, just replace them altogether, they're only $20.00 each, give or take....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the TPS.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Default sorta fixed

Ok, I re-did the spark plus and wires, new destributer cap, etc. I also found a vacuum leak, after doing all of that. The car started up great and was running great. I drove about 10 miles out and was on my way back when the car started to die everytime i took it out of gear mainly and sometimes it was between taking my foot off the gas and taking it out of gear. And then right before I got to the garage, it started idling fine again, any suggestions with whats going on with that???