Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Bbc Mark Iv - Hydro Roller Cam - What Is To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bbc Mark Iv - Hydro Roller Cam - What Is To Do?

Have bought a rebuild a BBC 540cid mark IV.
That engine is still in the machine shop where I have bought it.

Now, before I get that engine shipped I need to know if there is any kind of mechanical basic work on the short block for a hydro roller conversion.

As long it is in the machine shop they could do it.

I always hear that it is a lot of expense but I never read about block work.

If it is only a question about money please list what I have to buy in the cheapest case.

For my understanding I will need:

Hydro lifters

Hydro pushrods (harder as stronger springs can be used)

Hydro cam of course

another timing chain set with any kind of trust washer, is what I read ???

roller rockers

If someone did that before please write a little step by step instruction how to do and what, in the cheapest way, to buy.

Thanks

Hannes Slanec
Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

get lifters with link bars or a spider retainer kit to keep the lifters from spinning.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

And a cam thrust button, you don't want the cam moving forward. Might want a strong timing cover too.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Teching In

why not go solid roller?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I was recommended to use hydro as it is less work to maintain it.
Is there a difference by converting from usual cam to roller if I take solid or hydro.

Is there any machine work on the block to do?
I saw a kit that includes the cam, timing chain set with such a trust washer, springs, retainers, lifters, pushrods maybe some small parts more.

Is that all, is there no work necessary?

Hannes

Hannes
Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Not on a Mark IV block. A roller cam conversion should go right in with no machine work.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the answers, could you make me a small check list what all I need and what brand you would prefer by every part.

I could by a complete set from Crane but usual I buy the things seperatly on eBay, you find everything if you wait. Crane ask for 800up and I did not find any set with the right roller cam for my application.

Thanks Hannes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

I'm not making a list and I don't recommend buying from ebay. Build it right and get new name brand parts from Summit or something.
By the way how did they get a markIV to 540CI ?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Here is everything you need to know:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3DR2%26fvi%3D1

I was talking with people who know about engines and how to modify them and they told
that Cat is one of the more pricier Products but not that bad. It is 4340 forged steel, so iit will be ok I think. Probably all the crankshafts will produced by the same company and will sold by different brands, you would not believe in how many business that is usual.

I think I will by a complete hydro roller kit like from crane or something. Any recommendation?

Thanks so far

Hannes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I would be very leary of a production block running a 4.5 bore. It can be done, I'm running a 4.56 bore on a production 502 block, but you have to be very careful. CAT is just a standard Chinese brand like Adept and others and needs to be checked and machined very carefully. Eagle and Scat are other Chinese companies but are generally accepted to have better tolerances and finishing. Of course American companies tend to require the least finishing, but also tend to be the most expensive. In any case good luck with your project and for a HR you can run any major companies top end kit and be fine for what you are wanting to do.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I thinks this engine is done very well. The seller used sleeves to support the block and he promised to me that the crank hold 1200HP. If he is brave enough to say so I think he trust in the product he use.
Were I live, in Austria/ Europe pay that money for an old, ripped 2 bolt main 454block with cast internals and 220hp.
No company could do the rebuild that fine as they dont have the experience and the tools.

Also I think that the engines hold much more than we expect. My friend drove a 71Chevelle with 350 2 bolt main and TH350 with a, I think, Dyers 6-71 Mega Blower.
That car ran 0-60miles in less than 4,9sec, measured by a Vericom centrifugal force measuring tool.
I think that says a lot.
How many people did you see with broken BBC cranks on the street?

Maybe it is not the best money can buy but I have a lot of pleasure with my engine.

Thanks Hannes
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Banned

WOW!
I don't have the words.
They took a PRODUCTION block and bored it .250 over! NO THEY HAD TO BORE IT MORE THAN THAT TO MAKE ROOM FOR A SLEEVE. IT'S COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT .125 IS THE MAX FOR A PRODUCTION 454 BLOCK.

What these guys are doing is taking blocks that have been bored too far and making something of them.

And you wonder why the price is so low?!!

This is America, I'm American and I know there are people here more than willing to take your money and give you garbage in return. I'm not proud to say this.

And CAT? Ever seen a CAT product, ever hold and inspect a cat product?
I did, first ebay experience I had was a guy running a store out of his garage right down the road from me. Every CAT product he had was piled in plain white boxes. Connecting rods for a big block chevy=bulk box of x amount in thin plastic bags. Rockers, valve springs, you name it.
I cannot believe this.

EDIT you seem to be concerned with the crank, don't worry, the cylinders are going to blow out first, yes the rotating assembly as cheap as it is may hold 1200 hp, but the block, NO WAY. They didn't even fill it.
Sorry but this is my opinion, you may not enjoy this engine-unless you plan on just looking at it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Hannes,

I have no issue with running off brand Chinese parts. I personally haven't run Adept parts, but my builder, who I am friends with, runs them in his circle track motors all the time and he hasn't had one failure, they just take a little more finishing to ensure they are correct. He runs the cheaper stuff because most of his stuff are claimer motors, so if he wins someone can claim his engine for $400 and give them theirs. It's to keep the racing somewhat fair and keep a guy from throwing a $10K engine in his car to win the race. In any case, looking at the pictures it looks like a nice peice and I hope it runs well for you. Be very careful of overheating and detonation with your project because with that block bored so much it will be fairly fragile and if it distorts something will break.

Quick Reply: Bbc Mark Iv - Hydro Roller Cam - What Is To Do?