Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Gas milage and performance. Big block.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas milage and performance. Big block.

Alright, i have a big block 396 with a six speed. this is for a 68 camaro that i want to drive the hell out of. Im looking for a way to make 500-600 to the wheels or maybe even more but get like 13 ish miles to the gallon city not beating on it. lets just say money is not an option. Ill go supercharged, turbo, N/A, fuel injected, whatever. but no nitrous. I know this is alot to ask but im just wondering if its possible. I dont wnat to go with an LS1 because so many people do it and i want to be different. So i want to stay with my big block. I dont want your average low fuel milage BB. I want to drive my car everywhere. Sorry if im asking something crazy but im just wondering.

thanks
Jesse
Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion would be to have the engine rebuilt using late model parts and technology.You need to make the engine as efficient as possible.First off you need the right combonation of parts-this needs to be done by a professional who has good experience with something like this-one wrong part and the whole thing is wrong.Second,you need to use things like new aftermarket cylinder heads with effiecient combustion chambers and ports,roller cam and rockers are a must,try to keep compression up while maintaining a flat top piston-this promoted flame travel across the piston-which is always more effiecient.Run a custom piston with a thin ring set for less drag on the cylinders.use a lightest rotating asy possible-remember everything adds up.Then top it off with a good standalone fuel injection and have it tuned by a pro.
a couple of other things to consider-fuel economy isnt just dictated by the engine,other things add-you do have a good 6 speed but other considerations are the rear end-brakes-even the driveshaft and wheels and tires-it all adds up.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Good question. I am going to have a T56 and a 496 in the future, i dont know WHAT the hell it is going to do, it will be looking forclode to 600RWHP NA then a 200 hit of dope.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 8-10 out of my 468 so its a goal that would not be hard. My car is also set up to race.

I would go turbo with fuel injection with a tune for MPG and one for race.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my chevelle get around 10, which I think is pretty good

Quick Reply: Gas milage and performance. Big block.