Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Camaro or trans Am motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro or trans Am motor swap

Hey i got a gen 1 350 and was planning on putting it back in my rx7 but im lookin at getting a camaro or a trans am now...i was wondering if since it has the LT1 if I could throw the motor in or if I had to get conversion brackets because of the different motor? If I do need brackets, wut should I get? thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the LT1 is still physically a SBC as far as mounting, same mounts, just different fuel system and Ign system (yeah I know, rev cooling also). Shouldn't be a probelm, just need to plan out what you are going to do for induction (Carb or EFI) and the Ign system.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice...but im gunna be carbureting it if i do get one....wut would be a good ign. system for it?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Actually Wut do i have to do to swap the motor? And wut do i do about the cooling system? Anything you guys have to say will help...Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am no LT1 expert, especially if your going to Carb it. But Physically the blocks are the same, Mounting of the motor and trans bolt up as any SBC Gen I engine.

The major difference is that the LT1 doesn't use a standard distributor, but uses a front mounted distributor called OptiSpark distributor and is driven off of the front of the Cam shaft, the Water pump is also driven off of the front by a gear that is connected to the cam also. You would need to use the Opti and water pump as it would be suggested to use the front accessories of the LT1.

You should be able to connect your radiator as you have now. the LT1 Gen II engine is reverse cooling, but that is internal to the engine and externally you would connect the hoses to the radiator and heater the same way as a Gen I SBC engine.

Suggest you do some research on the LT1 / Gen II engine.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

not the lt1 mounts are diffrent then the sbc mounts i have a 1 gen motor in my 97 camaro. only 2 of the bolt holes on the mount would line up if u keep the motor in the stock location the reason why on a lt1 block one bolt hole is on top and two are on the bottom and sbc is the other why around, but it is easy to make some mounts use the stock mount of an lt1 and get like an 1/16 or 1/8 plate and use it as and adaptor plate line the 3 hole with the plate and mark them and drill them out the and then flip the plate over and line the to front hole of the lt1 mounts to the back to hole with the plate and that will keep the motor in the stock location i hope that make since to u its easy to me to do it the to explan it
Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its an easy motor to swap...Im in teh process of swaping one into my 55 Chevy 1st series truck.Im keeping the fuel injection though but I know MSD makes a nice ignition controller for the carbed setups and its mostly plug-n-play if I remember correctly...something to look into.

Quick Reply: Camaro or trans Am motor swap