Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Distributor/Timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor/Timing

Hey guys. I know this is probably a stupid question so I'm sorry in advance. When putting my distributor back in (say after an intake manifold swap) do I have to reset the timing? As long as I line it back up exactly and I don't touch the motor, shouldn't it be the same? Sorry but I've never done it before. Haha.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you know where it was when you pull it and stab it back in the same spot, all you have to do is time it again and not worry about being 180 out.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have not bumped the engine at all- the crankshaft (and camshaft) have not moved, and if you get the teeth of the distributor gear back into the same exact spot when meshed with the cam gear, and you position the distributor cap in the same exact position prior to pulling the distributor, then no you wouldn't necessarily need to re-time the engine.

in the real world though, you're going to need a timing light and at least verify correct timing at idle. If you reinstall the distributor correctly and you're lucky you can probably get +/- a degree of what it was. But you would be foolish not to check timing at idle before running the engine. Just go rent a timing light from any chain parts store if you don't have one... you know what I mean by rent
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

No way are you going to be able to put the distributor exactly in the right timing. It isn't too hard to get it back in the right tooth as long as you mark where the rotor is pointing and you don't rotate the engine while the distributor is out. But once you have the distributor back in, you still need to re-adjust the timing. It isn't a big deal. Even if you don't have a timing light, just make a few acceleration runs, advancing it until it just starts to detonate - then back it off a little.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takes 3 minutes to adjust the timing, do it every time you are monkeying around.