Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Head gasket change walk through?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head gasket change walk through?

Is there a good walk through that anyone knows of that will step through changing a head gasket on a SBC? Looking for a friend, thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/ic010532.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/gasket_failure.htm

for a cast iron block and cast iron head you have to be really barbaric when you clean it or mechanically inclined like my brother-in-law to screw it up. biggest thing is that nothing is warped and both the block and mating surfaces are flat before it goes back together. more than 0.002" or 0.003" and chances are the gasket will fail premature. and when you clean the old gasket off you on't want to gouge the block or head. if you use a wire wheel be careful, don't run it hard in one spot to remove a significant amount of iron. Get a good straight edge and lay it across the block/head mating surfaces different ways, if you see light between straight edge you either have warpage problems and the head/block should be resurfaced flat, or your straight edge sucks.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...and yes I did try google. Maybe I wasnt using the right search criteria cause I couldnt find anything that was too helpful. Those are some good articles, preciate it.

If there are any others out there please drop them by.

Thanks again!