Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

A few updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A few updates

Since I can't really afford to buy anything for the car yet the interior is just about 100% out, removing any wiring that I no longer nead (A TON for HVAC), pulled the back half of the interior and carpet and I never knew the automotive carpet was that HEAVY!

Going to cut off all the brackets and related parts for the rear seats so when I put some light weight carpet in it will all be nice and smooth with no bulges.

Have the fuel lines hanging from the pump ad just have to cut them in a few places (aluminum tubing, going braded and in some areas the tube goes threw the frames).

There are two big wire bundles under the hood one goes along the firewall and to the starter and the other goes up the frame to the head lights. I found a fairly easy way to hide both of them so the only wiring you will see really is for nitrous stuff.

All ignition stuff will be under the dash (enough room to fit a small boy in there hahaha), full digital MSD ignition with the moroso race wires.

Molly K-member up front with A-arms and a lighter steering rack, (current one is the old steering box kind, big, heavy, and loose).

Going to still run a 468 but have the heads worked the rest of the way and go with a nastier cam, bump up the compression and race gas tune. Car was built for driveability but I don't care to much about that now.

Will most likey do a gear swap in my tranny.

Starting to think about dritching the heavy factory seats for some Kirkleys, remember I don't drive the car much and very far.

Car needs rewired front to back when it comes to nitrous, fuel, and ignition, found a few near cut nitrous and ignition wires, no wiring or fuel lines that went threw metal holes had grommets, ect ect.

With keeping MOSTLY a full interior minus factory carpet and seats and some other weight mods I am doing I THINK I can still have a molly 10 point put in and still weigh less then when I started this project. It will be close though.

I will try and get pics up soon with it all torn apart and the empty gutted interior.

With the new combo I am hoping for bottom 10's high 9's on a smaller tire with not much work all motor and keep the nitrous.

When the car had more weight and old parts, less suspension, harder tires, ect ect it went 11.1 all motor on race gas with a pump gas tune so I think my goals are in reach.

Should be a fairly domminate street car.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 09-01-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I got a lot done.

Did the same thing a lof of people have done and forget to pull the power seat BEFORE they pull the battery and electrical system!

Passenger seat is out, mounting brackets on both front seats are pretty rusty.

Decided to pull the stereo and speakers along with the HVAC controls, yeah they don't weight much but I will have a hard time mounting the additional gauges and switches if I don't and still have it look nice. So I will put them in those areas.

Started pulling all the wiring that I don't need and the crap left over from when it was stock.

Next I am going to pull the wires for stupid things like the choke light ect ect.

Found a way to hide the two major wire bundles that are under the hood.

When its all said and done I should have at least 1/4 less wiring and still keep the power windows/locks/mirrors.

Going to borrow a friends Haynes manual to help with the wiring. May be able to ditch one of the fuse boxes also...... have to take my time, if I get in a hurry things may not want to work when I fire it up.... like the head lights hahaha.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 09-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: A few updates