Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

INSTALL pricing help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default INSTALL pricing help

Hey guys, i've done a dozen or so installs for people, almost everything to F bodys you can do. I run my own shop and I feel like I usually short myself on labor costs. What kind of $ do yall usually charge or get charged for installs? (headers, cam, etc)

I usually charge $150 for a basic tune on HP Tuners, $250 for dyno tune, which is just enough and I have no problem doing that. But hard parts labor cost I seem to fall behind on.

I'm fixing to do a cam/valvesprings/timing chain/PR, 2 piece cover, and block paint(spray bomb) on a lq9, the motor is on a stand so its pretty easy to do, but i'm lost on charging labor for this particular motor.

Any Input?

BTW i'm not looking to make $ off tech by asking this so I hope its ok to ask since i'm not a sponsor
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
Hey guys, i've done a dozen or so installs for people, almost everything to F bodys you can do. I run my own shop and I feel like I usually short myself on labor costs. What kind of $ do yall usually charge or get charged for installs? (headers, cam, etc)

I usually charge $150 for a basic tune on HP Tuners, $250 for dyno tune, which is just enough and I have no problem doing that. But hard parts labor cost I seem to fall behind on.

I'm fixing to do a cam/valvesprings/timing chain/PR, 2 piece cover, and block paint(spray bomb) on a lq9, the motor is on a stand so its pretty easy to do, but i'm lost on charging labor for this particular motor.

Any Input?

BTW i'm not looking to make $ off tech by asking this so I hope its ok to ask since i'm not a sponsor
Call a few of the big money making shops and ask them what they would charge you for various installs. Then just go a little under that, if people are happy to pay that (or not totally unhappy) then keep charging that.

Having all the right tools also makes for a big difference in labor profits.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well bud, I own a shop in shelbyville tn and did a cam, valve spring, oil pump and timing chain, walbro intank pump for a guy not to long ago for $300. I lost on labor but was able to help someone out.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Charge a fair rate for labor and leave it at that. I dont know of any shop that quotes a rate for any install, that doesnt already know how many hours of labor goes into it. FYI a good dynotune goes for 350 to 400 here. Wish I lived closer to you! lol!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

dyno tunes for 250.00 ? wow thats cheap.

we charge 350.00 for a cam install (unless its a vette), 350.00 for a clutch/converter install, 300.00 for a header install.

on some things we use alldata and actually go by hours, depending on what it is. if its something we dont do everyday where we have a flat rate.

do you have an hourly shop rate?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hourly rates can be mis-leading, but they work the best when u have a good tech. 100.00/hour works for me on most jobs that are 5hrs or less. Big jobs are no where near that amount. Going by that u might pay 400.00 for header install but only 200.00 for a convertor. I been charging this for 10 years now, and as long as most don't hear it's 100/per (just quote the total) AND the job is done perfect and nothing is scratched, they will keep coming back. In my experience, dynos don't make money (by themselves) but are a "needed tool" in certain shops. It's 98.00/hour to get your cobalt worked on, I don't see any issues here and I don't believe people should have to give labor away (trading for pizza/beer os ok though)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was charged the same for my dyno tune ($250). Cam swap around here is $300, Converter $250, header install is $250
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
I was charged the same for my dyno tune ($250). Cam swap around here is $300, Converter $250, header install is $250
The very reason I could never do this full time, and 1 in 3 cars u do will be someone else's abortion/butcher job or leak enough fluids to get the DEQ involved.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
dyno tunes for 250.00 ? wow thats cheap.

we charge 350.00 for a cam install (unless its a vette), 350.00 for a clutch/converter install, 300.00 for a header install.

on some things we use alldata and actually go by hours, depending on what it is. if its something we dont do everyday where we have a flat rate.

do you have an hourly shop rate?
You guys have some EXCELLENT rates on your work
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Your labor charge is often based upon what kind of overhead you have. Big nice shops have to pay the rent somehow so they might charge a little more. If your doing it out in your garage you could cut people a little more of a break. Goodluck man
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome info guys!

I usually go by $100hr on most things, and it works out pretty good, but we all know not everythings fits that category. I have a low overhead right now so i'm still able to offer great pricing.

I usually go $500 for cam and headers swap(in car, together)..which I thought was a little low, but I guess i'm not too far off.

As far as tuning, it seems that everyone has prices all over the spectrum, and I think my prices are right there in the middle. I know HPH in Bowling Green charges around $250 usually. I've got 2 years experience on HP myself, while others have more tuning experience; I believe they price on how much they know sometimes, but I just price what I think is fair, and I always go back and help anyone out that I have tuned on, which usually helps me bring in more customers.

Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 04-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.