Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Watch out for TaterShack in middle Tennessee...!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Watch out for TaterShack in middle Tennessee...!

I'm Terry Spear. I have run a successful Pontiac restoration business for 20 years now. I'm well known in classic Pontiac circles, and my business was called Terry's GTO's in Orlando Fl. I have had a 1966 GTO drag car that was an all iron PONTIAC motor, IRON HEADS bored out 428 that ran 10's. I rebuilt that motor twice. Now, back to Tatershack, my ex wife sent her 2001 Trans Am to have a cam installed along with headers and a bigger stall, well they replaced all stock components with their used parts. They "rebuilt" the trans, and it just recently blew up. Most likely it was replaced with a used transmission, as I had the trans rebuilt around 10000 miles ago. The steering rack was replaced with some piece of garbage, used and worn out. Right after they added the cam, it spun a bearing or something (I was never able to discuss exactly what happend to it with them), but they did straighten that out. They stall they put into it was way too big, but I don't believe my ex wife specified the stall speed oh well... had motor troubles recently and she sent it to Delk, they sorted out all the problems (numerous, such as intake leaks). They sorted it out and days later the transmission blows up. Anyway, I'm not too fond of my ex wife, but I don't like to see her get screwed because of her lack of knowledge. She's looking to sell the car now.
Tatershack=
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never herd anything thing but good things about those guys. infact I know them. and from what I have seen Delk are the quacks, if its not a Mustang they dont give 2 ***** about it! Sorry to hear about her mis fortune but Im sure Tater will make it right.

on a side note what does she want for the car?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW you really need to get your facts straight buddy. Lets lay down EXACTLY what she wanted and what we gave her. We met her over a year ago and she desperately wanted to take her 01 high mileage leaking from every gasket TA and make it a 90%STRIP 10% street car, and she wanted to do it by spending as little as possible.

So the cheapest way we could get her into the 11's (which was HER goal) was to get a used Trex, new springs, new oil pump, push rods, a trans build with cooler and a 4000 Stall converter and pray the bottom end would hold.... We also found NUMEROUS parts on the car that were either completely shot or hanging on by the last leg. We knew she was on a tight budget and replaced them with parts we had in the shop. Things like stock trans mounts that where completely separated and motor mounts that someone had pushed a bolt through to keep from moving non existent TQ arm mounts. They were replaced with good polly mounted we had lying around for next to nothing! To say we went above and beyond TRYING to get her car back into shape is an understatement. There wasnt a single piece under the car or in the engine bay that didnt have grease,oil caked on it.

So enough painting a picture, The car NEVER spun a cam bearing it was a rod bearing, and it happened with her test driving after we completed the cam swap. so we said we'll take car of her and since we felt bad (she was crying) even tho we had absolutely no responsibility for it, we pulled the motor and just had her buy new rod and main bearings and ARP rod bolts, we took care of the rest....

Now the transmission we have absolutely NOTHING to do with WE DID NOT BUILD IT and this is the first ive heard of her having a problem with it. I know for a fact the guy that built it would have LOVED to hear how it blew and would have easily taken care of her. but did she call him? did she let him know there was an issue? The converter again was done on the cheap since she couldnt spend the money, the Receipt shows a 4K stall, if its loose we told her they would restall if for free no big deal, even drove two hours one way to go pick it up for her!

Now we dont handle tunes here but we did get her loaded up with a safe drivable tune and told her she needed to get it tuned ASAP and to not go racing on it, we even called and set up a local tuner for her that guess what she never called....

We here at Tater Shack are ONLY in it for the enthusiast we all have day jobs, we dont try to make a profit we are simply here trying to help the local LS community, we did absolutely everything in our power and more to get her car back in respectable shape and meet her goals. I don't see a single thing we could of done differently with the exception of turning her away...

Last edited by Tricked-Out-Toy; 05-06-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Terry spears

Let me tell you about terry.i had terry do some body work for me all started ok. I left the car there in july of 2009 was told it would be finish by 1/10 so i could get it ready for power tour the parts came up missing the work was half *** stay on him made 20 trip too check on car my boss took a change on him also but that his storyto tell.terry came up gone for about 2/3 week check around his shop and was told i had better check more . Terry show up later saiding he had been on vac. Ok i can live with that. But not my car. He call in dec/10 saiding the car was ready too pick up .p/u went home raining at p/u got too check on body/paint found body work bad and paint so thin that the primer was coming out the moldind i paid for was replace with old part.call terry very mad at this point took car back for repairs.felling i was making a mistake but did anyway i had paid for paint already he ask for more money. Anyway he did rework the paint but was not sand and buff out .p/u car took home found rear tire slick and motor had rattle in it call terry . Terry kid had my car out driving itaround. I finish the inside/ motor /trans/rad/fan/tires. 1 week before power tour .i had the sanding and buff out after power tour . Very bad dealwith this man .terry you know this is true and you know my name. I have my lawer looking at this at this time so beware of any dealing with terry spear this is my own opinion
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I had a shop and learned one very hard lesson. Doing things for people dirt cheap because they dont have any money will cause you more headaches than you can imagine.
Quote a good price so you can make a good living and if they cant pay for it, send them down the road to someone else!!!!!

The people who come in whining about how little money they have are the same people who will expect you to go above and beyond.

Oh, and dont pick a liar, thief and dirtbag for a business partner, but thats another story.

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
WOW you really need to get your facts straight buddy. Lets lay down EXACTLY what she wanted and what we gave her. We met her over a year ago and she desperately wanted to take her 01 high mileage leaking from every gasket TA and make it a 90%STRIP 10% street car, and she wanted to do it by spending as little as possible.

So the cheapest way we could get her into the 11's (which was HER goal) was to get a used Trex, new springs, new oil pump, push rods, a trans build with cooler and a 4000 Stall converter and pray the bottom end would hold.... We also found NUMEROUS parts on the car that were either completely shot or hanging on by the last leg. We knew she was on a tight budget and replaced them with parts we had in the shop. Things like stock trans mounts that where completely separated and motor mounts that someone had pushed a bolt through to keep from moving non existent TQ arm mounts. They were replaced with good polly mounted we had lying around for next to nothing! To say we went above and beyond TRYING to get her car back into shape is an understatement. There wasnt a single piece under the car or in the engine bay that didnt have grease,oil caked on it.

So enough painting a picture, The car NEVER spun a cam bearing it was a rod bearing, and it happened with her test driving after we completed the cam swap. so we said we'll take car of her and since we felt bad (she was crying) even tho we had absolutely no responsibility for it, we pulled the motor and just had her buy new rod and main bearings and ARP rod bolts, we took care of the rest....

Now the transmission we have absolutely NOTHING to do with WE DID NOT BUILD IT and this is the first ive heard of her having a problem with it. I know for a fact the guy that built it would have LOVED to hear how it blew and would have easily taken care of her. but did she call him? did she let him know there was an issue? The converter again was done on the cheap since she couldnt spend the money, the Receipt shows a 4K stall, if its loose we told her they would restall if for free no big deal, even drove two hours one way to go pick it up for her!

Now we dont handle tunes here but we did get her loaded up with a safe drivable tune and told her she needed to get it tuned ASAP and to not go racing on it, we even called and set up a local tuner for her that guess what she never called....

We here at Tater Shack are ONLY in it for the enthusiast we all have day jobs, we dont try to make a profit we are simply here trying to help the local LS community, we did absolutely everything in our power and more to get her car back in respectable shape and meet her goals. I don't see a single thing we could of done differently with the exception of turning her away...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLACKIE66
Let me tell you about terry.i had terry do some body work for me all started ok. I left the car there in july of 2009 was told it would be finish by 1/10 so i could get it ready for power tour the parts came up missing the work was half *** stay on him made 20 trip too check on car my boss took a change on him also but that his storyto tell.terry came up gone for about 2/3 week check around his shop and was told i had better check more . Terry show up later saiding he had been on vac. Ok i can live with that. But not my car. He call in dec/10 saiding the car was ready too pick up .p/u went home raining at p/u got too check on body/paint found body work bad and paint so thin that the primer was coming out the moldind i paid for was replace with old part.call terry very mad at this point took car back for repairs.felling i was making a mistake but did anyway i had paid for paint already he ask for more money. Anyway he did rework the paint but was not sand and buff out .p/u car took home found rear tire slick and motor had rattle in it call terry . Terry kid had my car out driving itaround. I finish the inside/ motor /trans/rad/fan/tires. 1 week before power tour .i had the sanding and buff out after power tour . Very bad dealwith this man .terry you know this is true and you know my name. I have my lawer looking at this at this time so beware of any dealing with terry spear this is my own opinion

Just to be clear Terry is the original poster, Tater shack is NOT involved with this.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J1D2warrior
I had a shop and learned one very hard lesson. Doing things for people dirt cheap because they dont have any money will cause you more headaches than you can imagine.
Quote a good price so you can make a good living and if they cant pay for it, send them down the road to someone else!!!!!

The people who come in whining about how little money they have are the same people who will expect you to go above and beyond.

Yup unfortunately learned that the hard way.... Oh well ya live ya learn
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 AM

I know but if anyone put terry spear in computer this well come up i do not know this tater but this sound like the terry i know

Last edited by BLACKIE66; 12-09-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Who the hell names their shop "TaterShack" ? Sounds like one of those gas stations on the side of the road that sells biscuits in the morning.

Last edited by Damian; 12-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a fun place to hang out haha
Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm, Well then
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone that's trying to do a project as cheap as possible is asking for problems down the road.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Wow! This really back fired on you Terry LMAO! If I ever dropped my car off and trusted someone with it, and they let their wife or kid drive it I'd be pissed. I'd say now I get to ride ur wife, cuz its basically the same thing. J/K
To Tricked Out Troy: After reading this, I Hope to do business with you in the future
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Anyone that's trying to do a project as cheap as possible is asking for problems down the road.
best statement i have heard in a while
Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds to me like the guys at "Tater Shack" are some stand up guys. There arent too many folks out there that would do that kind of stuff. Especially pulling the engine and doing the work to put new rod bearings in and just making her buy the bearings and rod bolts. Thats some major bank you guys gave up.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

If you can't afford to build an 11 sec car the right way then you need to either set your goals and save for it OR be happy with what you have.

If it's the stock 4l60 you can rebuild that POS a hundred times, it will NEVER be worth crap. Upgrade so she can start shattering the 10 bolt and blame someone for that
Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

this is the first negative things ive heard about tatershack. good group of guys who knows what the hell is goin on and does their **** right. id let em touch my junk any day of the week
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

haha only my gf gets to touch my junk hahaha
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98z-28redcamaro
haha only my gf gets to touch my junk hahaha
lol damn, my bad
Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLACKIE66
I know but if anyone put terry spear in computer this well come up i do not know this tater but this sound like the terry i know
This is Joe Hartsfield. Terry Spears is trying to screw me too. I'd like to get in touch with you. He lives in Franklin, TN.
Thank You!

Quick Reply: Watch out for TaterShack in middle Tennessee...!