Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

NC Emissions testing ?s

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NC Emissions testing ?s

I've lived in NC all my life so I'm familiar with the testing part. However, I'm in the process of buying a 99 Z with an offroad ypipe, cam, and a good tune. The car is registered in SC currently where they have no inspections. I'm curious as to what all parameters the computer reads when they hook it up. The place I take my 2000 Silverado to just hooks the computer up to the port and reads everything that way, no sniffer in the tailpipe. This car has no check engine lights and everything's been programmed out. My thought was that since they never look under my truck to see if the cats are there (aftermarket exhaust too) I may try my luck. If nothing else, I'll put a couple of cats on it to pass visual. I'm not worried about the visual part as much, but am more worried about if somethings a little off with the tune and the numbers are strange, but with no check engine lights, will it still pass? I've been told the tune is a little rich for safety, will this matter? I'm in Winston Salem, anybody have any idea?

Also, anybody got any idea how long you have to get a car inspected before they'll issue a registration?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

You are pretty much dead on. The computer mainly reads the check engine light and if there are any thrown codes. Just clearing them will not be good enough, you will need to have them deleted or programmed out. I have aftermarket exhaust and I don't have near as much problems passing the computer test as I do the visual. Just find someone you trust and that can trust you.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good, that's what I was hoping for. I'm not familiar with what all is tested when they plug it up. I'll probably pick up a couple of magnaflows and put them on just so the smell and rasp is better. Anybody got any idea around the Winston Salem Kernersville area to get a car inspected?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncsu602
Good, that's what I was hoping for. I'm not familiar with what all is tested when they plug it up. I'll probably pick up a couple of magnaflows and put them on just so the smell and rasp is better. Anybody got any idea around the Winston Salem Kernersville area to get a car inspected?
Any smaller garage, the chain garages check everything. I small shop will do just as they do your truck, which is scan the ECM. That's all you need

Search this Thread