Go Back   LS1TECH > REGIONAL FORUMS > Southern Members
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

NC Emissions testing ?s

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10
Default NC Emissions testing ?s

I've lived in NC all my life so I'm familiar with the testing part. However, I'm in the process of buying a 99 Z with an offroad ypipe, cam, and a good tune. The car is registered in SC currently where they have no inspections. I'm curious as to what all parameters the computer reads when they hook it up. The place I take my 2000 Silverado to just hooks the computer up to the port and reads everything that way, no sniffer in the tailpipe. This car has no check engine lights and everything's been programmed out. My thought was that since they never look under my truck to see if the cats are there (aftermarket exhaust too) I may try my luck. If nothing else, I'll put a couple of cats on it to pass visual. I'm not worried about the visual part as much, but am more worried about if somethings a little off with the tune and the numbers are strange, but with no check engine lights, will it still pass? I've been told the tune is a little rich for safety, will this matter? I'm in Winston Salem, anybody have any idea?

Also, anybody got any idea how long you have to get a car inspected before they'll issue a registration?

Thanks!
ncsu602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 2

You are pretty much dead on. The computer mainly reads the check engine light and if there are any thrown codes. Just clearing them will not be good enough, you will need to have them deleted or programmed out. I have aftermarket exhaust and I don't have near as much problems passing the computer test as I do the visual. Just find someone you trust and that can trust you.
SiezeTheMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10

Good, that's what I was hoping for. I'm not familiar with what all is tested when they plug it up. I'll probably pick up a couple of magnaflows and put them on just so the smell and rasp is better. Anybody got any idea around the Winston Salem Kernersville area to get a car inspected?
ncsu602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
TECH Resident

Trader Rating: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to BURN'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu602 View Post
Good, that's what I was hoping for. I'm not familiar with what all is tested when they plug it up. I'll probably pick up a couple of magnaflows and put them on just so the smell and rasp is better. Anybody got any idea around the Winston Salem Kernersville area to get a car inspected?
Any smaller garage, the chain garages check everything. I small shop will do just as they do your truck, which is scan the ECM. That's all you need

01 WS6 Heads, cam, forged, stalled and sprayed....not even the paints stock!
MWC Fab9, Bogart Bolted R/T's, Dual stage 300, Yank PY4000
98 C5 M6 | 02 WS6 Vert Wifes car 12 Cadillac SRX Premium
BURN'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
camshaft, emissions, inspection, ls1tech, nc, testing