Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Calling ALL North and Central Alabamians? <<<That a word??

Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling ALL North and Central Alabamians? <<<That a word??

I've seen a lot of alabama guys on here trying to get a cruise, meet, race, hang out or whatever together lately. Im interested in this also (dispite it being cold as FU(K right now!) and everyone needs to go to www.HuntsvilleCarScene.com and see if we can get a thread started on there and get Samir to set something up. Theres already Fbody clubs on there. Just a thought?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

That would be pretty cool. There are also some of us on ARS (AlabamaRacingScene.net). I dont know if many people would be up for it, but there are usually alot of get togethers and people going to different places to race when its warmer outside.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be down for sure. I've been stirring around and trying to drum up something like this for sure. Keep me posted if you guys come up with something.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

There's always stuff going on. It's just a matter of going to an event if there is one going on. And if there isn't, just post one on the calendar and spread the word. And I'll help however I can.

There's a cruise-in every first and last Wednesday of the month that's all-year round:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...y=2011-1-5&c=1
This is a great place to meet up with other people with the same ideas and make things happen--cold or not.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

We need to get some people off of here to join up on huntsville car scene to see if we can get something put together. I work at Landers Mclarty Dodge maybe I could talk our service director into putting a get together sometime soon on in spring at least. Considering our service director is over us and the CHEVROLET store i'm sure he could maybe pull something off and get a meeting or something at the chevy store. Hell it would only be advertising for them for the Camaro and Vette'.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Oh and when I said get some people "off of here" I by NO means meant get people to denounce their membership, i was stating to get the southern community that IS PART OF this site to ALSO get on huntsville car scene. sorry admins I know that sounded blasphemous lol Id never even dream of trying to leave this site.

Last edited by GoatPilot87; 12-10-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GoatPilot87
We need to get some people off of here to join up on huntsville car scene to see if we can get something put together. I work at Landers Mclarty Dodge maybe I could talk our service director into putting a get together sometime soon on in spring at least. Considering our service director is over us and the CHEVROLET store i'm sure he could maybe pull something off and get a meeting or something at the chevy store. Hell it would only be advertising for them for the Camaro and Vette'.
And from my experience Landers is very interested in doing things like this. I'm for making things happen. Once you put it on the Huntsville Car Scene calendar and indicate that a lot of people are coming to it, the ball starts rolling pretty quick.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

ill be damned I didnt know you were on here lol. I weish our dealerships (dodge and chevy) would do more public events. Youve probably seen my car once or twice before. silver 04 gto, gray and chrome wheels. Last time I saw you was during the summer in Hazel Green at a little show on Elkwood Section at Bethlehem Baptist church. But anyway, I wish we had more get togethers in the Huntsville area to just chill and shoot the **** without feeling like you have to be in a click.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I'm e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, lol.

I agree with you that more events need to be open and homogeneous. But that's why I started Huntsville Car Scene. The people that visit the site regularly come from all walks of enthusiasm and have appreciation of all things car and bike. They're people like you and me.

And most of the events that are formally organized, like the cruise-ins during the season, are very open and non-cliquish. It's the informal meets that usually have attitude and unnecessary drama, but I can still pick the good ones of those too.

Here's a thread that I think you'd find interesting:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=3529
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Well hell you should come talk to our Sevice Director Greg and our GM at the dodge store Frank, and the GM at the Chevy store and maybe talk them into putting something together. you might know my service manager or maybe his car its a blue (I think?) Lancer Evo, he uses it as a track car only. Weve got a few guys in the shop that have nice rides. I know another dudes trying to get his 94 supra done he just recently melted a piston but yeah we need to figure something out.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I wish we could get Landers' cooperation with the drag strip and get peoples interest back up in it. I'm worried they may close it down soon due to next to NO spectators. I can see it now..."Track Day brought to you by Landers-McLarty Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Subaru, and Chevrolet alongside HuntsvilleCarScene.com....". Challengers, F-bodys, Goats, Imports...what a good day for Huntsville Dragway and it's followers.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish we could get Landers' cooperation with the drag strip and get peoples interest back up in it. I'm worried they may close it down soon due to next to NO spectators. I can see it now..."Track Day brought to you by Landers-McLarty Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Subaru, and Chevrolet alongside HuntsvilleCarScene.com....". Challengers, F-bodys, Goats, Imports...what a good day for Huntsville Dragway and it's followers.
When I worked for Scott Crump Toyota, we sponsored a couple rodeos and horse rides. They were GREAT advertisement.....and it's a tax writeoff if they attach any proceeds to a charity....That way they can write off any expenses they might incur and show the event as a loss. After I left I know they did a few promo things with a Scion club...Just what the world needs, another RICE crew. Just keep me posted if anything comes up and I'll be down for the drive up to H-Town
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Well hell you should come talk to our Sevice Director Greg and our GM at the dodge store Frank, and the GM at the Chevy store and maybe talk them into putting something together. you might know my service manager or maybe his car its a blue (I think?) Lancer Evo, he uses it as a track car only. Weve got a few guys in the shop that have nice rides. I know another dudes trying to get his 94 supra done he just recently melted a piston but yeah we need to figure something out.
I've actually talked to Frank briefly about advertising on HCS and he's given me a verbal yes. I just got to finish the coding and then talk to him. And I've known Victor for almost a decade now. Ask him about the night I went driving with them. I know he's done a thing with the local Subaru group that went over pretty well. I think every make that has a dealership should have some tie/support from the dealership. Enthusiasts are the best and cheapest marketing material ever.
Thank God someone else understands this. I completely agree with you. Back in the day when the strip started midnight madness, I'm the one who made it big. I guided street racing off the streets and to the track because for $5/head race or watch, there's no point in risking anything on the street. And Lindsey, oh Lindsey--she's the one who really did it. Because while you were waiting in the staging lanes, you got your picture with Lindsey and it was up on the Internet. And this was before facebook, myspace, or any type of social media. People loved it. I remember 3/4 of the stands full on good nights. I'm sure the track did well. It brought traffic to the hsv.streetracing.org site, which was the ancestor of HCS, so it helped me. Lindsey became an overnight celebrity, signing autographs when she would get stopped at the mall and other places in public.

But the problem with bringing the street racing to the track is to bring the excitement of the street to the track--and that's hard. Because it's not always a good night on the street, only sometimes. And you have to figure out a way to keep people coming even when there isn't going to be much to watch.

I strongly believe that we need the dragstrip. Without it, Huntsville will lose one of the most important venues for its citizens and their hobbies. Motorsports is a very serious hobby in our area. And if the city is supporting baseball fields, soccer fields, and other sports activities, they need to support motorsports activities as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I know man I remeber when I was still in school waiting for the bell to ring on Friday afternoon because we looked forward to getting together and meeting up at the track. Hell we didnt have anything special, or fast we'd race our moms van or a 4x4 truck and get chewed out for getting the track muddy lol. But youre right Huntsville one of the biggest race towns in this area closest to Memphis, ESPECIALLY drag racing! Im a fan of anything with an engine it's what brings us together. Sure a lot of people dog on imports on here and I myself would never own one (personal opinion), but these differences and dislikes is what gives us the whole damn experience of a race. Competition is what drives ANY economy and the same goes for the car world.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

And that still happens today, but with a different generation, different cars, and a different venue. And it's the change in venue that has allowed the track to lose it's following. But for those that are serious about drag racing, the track is essential for proper testing and tuning.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Speaking of Victor, I saw his pic you put on HSVCarScene from the Xcross event this past weekend. He looked like a damn pig holding the road cones. I wish I wouldve known about it I wouldve loved to come watch. But seriously we need to get Frank and Greg and Victor to put something together. Even if its just a meet at a local Hardees and we all cruise around. Wish we couldve put as cruise together for Toys for Tots on behalf on Landers. We do sooooo much sponsoring but IMO it should be distributed to other walks of life I.E. RACERS! Or at least do something to boost sales Challengers, or the Camaro in case of Landers Chevrolet. It would be so bad *** if we could rally a fund raiser to get the strip back in shape and running and turn the track around. I hope when I have children some day we will still have a track to take them to, but its not looking too good at this moment.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

He did it on purpose. A lot of people were joking around that day and it made for some fun photos.

Putting an event together isn't that hard. But having adequate participation is what's key. You need enough people organizing it, promoting it and attending it. And there can't be just one key person organizing it if it's going to be sustained time and time again. I can't get too involved in organizing right now because of time, but I know how to do it.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Damn if i didnt just pst two replies on here and they didnt post!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Well I just wish we had more going on around here. Im waiting on the Power Tour again since dates were announced and their coming through here. We went and stayed in Mobile last year and caught the Bham action and saw them cruising into Mobile and watched the Long Hauler Awards. What a site seeing all the Camaros lined in frt of the USS Alabama. I went to SEMA last month and stayed in Vegas that whole week. I just wish BIG events could happen here somehow.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the power tour this year is going to be really cool, especially if it comes through Huntsville like it did a few years back.

You were at sema too? I went Friday as part of the opinion leaders program. It's a lot to take in on just one day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling ALL North and Central Alabamians? <<<That a word??