Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Rear end work in Jackson,MS

Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end work in Jackson,MS

Hey everyone. I am looking for a place around Jackson,MS to do a gear swap on my '00 TA. I've talked to the guys at Jackson Powertrain and they want 825+tax just to do gears with bearings and seals being additional cost. That seems a bit excessive to me. If I provide the parts myself then it would be 428+tax. I would like to know the opinions of some folks in the area that might be able to point me in a better direction or if this is the best I can hope to expect for the area. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

I'll see if I can find someone. I didn't do a gear swap on my car. I an S60 rear end (and I say save up and do this instead. Do it once and never look back until you want to change the gear again lol). Also you could check OTRACING.net (local forum).
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Ideally, the S60 is what I would want but that's a pretty hefty chunk of change The reason that I wanted to look into changing gears is that I have noticed a whine from the gears along with a low roar when booking it down the interstate. There has also been a couple occasions when I heard it pop when in reverse. After looking around some more it could be a carrier bearing issue rather than my gears about to crap themselves. I just figured if I was going to get the bearing replaced I might as well have the gears done at the same time. Although if I can keep it from crapping out on me for a good while I might be able to save enough for the rear, just not anytime soon.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your parts from jackson gear and axle. They are cheaper for the same parts and much friendlier. Thats who i get all the gears i install at the shop i work at. If you drove to meridian i can do it for you for 350 bucks but that wouldnt justify the gas to get here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end work in Jackson,MS