Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Help need a tune in Huntsville Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need a tune in Huntsville Alabama

Where can I get my 2001 Z28 tuned near Huntsville Alabama
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

http://culverautospecialties.com/About.html

Or get in contact with member Gomer on here.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gomer isn't tuning at the moment due to a surgery.

Art also isn't letting him use his dyno anymore since he started hack job tuning ls1 cars. You have to go to Birmingham for Gomer now.

Lane Culver tunes our stuff now, for good.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Default Tuner In H-ville.

Originally Posted by mattz28zx6r
Where can I get my 2001 Z28 tuned near Huntsville Alabama
mattz28zx6r ( chevy406 ) IMHO is the man. He is located in Meridianville a very straight heads up guy. He does it on the side some to support his habit seen at the link here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...bo-408-ls.html
I recommend him 100%, just tell him I sent ya. I will be taking my new 01 SS to him in a week or so.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know ^ or his capabilities.. I myself, I am done with "side tuners". Not to say they don't care... But I want someone where it is their main source of income. People to tend to care a lot more. Just real world experience, nothing pin pointed to the tuning world.

Side things usually are cheaper, but at what price?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

understand concerns on shadetree tuners but chevy406 tuned mine and i'm very pleased also the first weekend i get free i'm taking my coussin to get his 99 t/a tuned buy him.staight up good guy,when you talk to him you'll see he know his stuff so yours want be the first one he's done.gomer and lane had to start somewhere.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

No doubt they did.. But i moved from gomer to lane. First twenty minutes being at his shop and talking with him i was committed.

Doesn't get much better than Lane so why not?

Again, nothing on him personally and hope nobody takes it that way.. Id just rather use the guy "already there" than the guy starting somewhere.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Check hsvracing.com for threads on the same subject.

You won't find any bad words said about Clyde (chevy406) and that can't be said about the others.
Granted the others have done more so they have more chances at making someone mad, but Clyde is a perfectionist and a straight shooter.

In the end, everyone mentioned in the thread can take care of you so talk to all of them and see who you feel the most comfortable with.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

I don't even use anyone in Alabama anymore. Too many wishy, washy; here today, gone tomorrow type places/shops around here for my comfort zone. I have a couple of buddies that got that shaft that way by Mustang "tuners" back in the day.

Everyone I know just makes the ride the Vengeance. Mike is the man and can be reached at any time. Vengeance also has thousands of cars out there that perform and have always gone above and beyond before, after and during the sale to make us happy.

That would be my vote.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

chevy406 tuned my coussin's car for us yesterday.i asked him how his nova turbo build was coming.it ran 6.38.if he can build a 406,twin turbo,fuel injected car then thats good enough for me.easy to get up with and great to deal with.i've read on hear where gomer is hard to get with and nothing but high praises for lane.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I'm with lemons12 on this one, Lane is the one I would recamend and not dought him any. If you want his website just pm me and I'll send it your way, he is a A+ guy to deal with.

He tuned my D1 -370
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just stumbled on this thread. I appreciate the vote of confidence from you guys that I've met.
There have been several times on HSVRacing and other forums where people ask about tuning. Typically I will reference Lane and Gomer as the most experienced LS1 tuners in North Alabama. They both have a lot of dyno experience and have both tuned a wide range of LS powered vehicles. Gomer did a street tune on my C5 after my first cam swap, and I've known Lane for many years - since he waxed me on the street back in his Procharged Malibu days.
I bought HP Tuners in order to understand and work on my own Corvette and eventually my turbo LS Nova. I (reluctantly at first) agreed to helped out one or two local friends with tuning changes, and that has evolved into 45+ cars at this point. I am totally not trying to compete with anyone else. There really isn't any money in tuning at $150 when $100 is used for the license. Many times I meet the owner at their house in order to get their new build started up. So I can absolutely understand lemons12's decision, and he did a nice job explaining it without any personal jabs. We are fortunate in North Alabama to have several options to help support our hot rodding. Maybe one day I'll drive my Nova down to Lane's dyno for some internet bragging numbers. My daily driver C5 made 467 rwhp on his dyno.

I should have the Nova's transmission back from PTC later this week, so be on the lookout for some dragstrip numbers soon. So far since adding the turbos I've busted the rear differential, had to upgrade from my 10" PTC converter to a 9.5" PTC, and now rebuild the TH-400. Maybe, just maybe the drivetrain is up to the task now.

Last edited by Chevy406; 04-09-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I may have to give chevy406 a holler I am in Hartselle Al
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Default Chevy 406

Originally Posted by 00-BUCK
I may have to give chevy406 a holler I am in Hartselle Al
You wont meet a nicer fellow. Give him a shout he will be more than happy to help out a car guy. Tell him Bama99z says hello.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

There is only tuned, or not tuned. I'll take the guy that spends time on my VE table to make sure all cells are right. Instead of the guy that's been in the game long enough to know how to "trick" the PCM into using the narrow bands and different PE ratios to adjust to "close". My suggestion is to buy HP tuners and "know" it's right (tuned).
Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwalton29
There is only tuned, or not tuned. I'll take the guy that spends time on my VE table to make sure all cells are right. Instead of the guy that's been in the game long enough to know how to "trick" the PCM into using the narrow bands and different PE ratios to adjust to "close". My suggestion is to buy HP tuners and "know" it's right (tuned).

This guy knows what he is talking about.
The proper procedure to re-calibrate your operating system air fuel ratio after making changes to the engine is:
1. Verify your fuel injector flow data is correct. There are several tables that need to be updated if you are using new sized injectors. Be certain that the injectors you buy have well documented values.
2. Set the PE table to your desired AFR at wide open throttle
3. Setup the ECM to run in SD open loop so you can data log and correct the VE table.
4. Return the MAF sensor to operation and log/correct the MAF table.
5. Return to closed loop and verify fuel trims are +/- 5% and that AFR at WOT matches commanded values.
6. Repeat as needed

The shortcut that nwalton29 referenced is to simply scale the MAF table and then adjust the PE table as required to force the WOT air:fuel ratio to match your desired 12.5 to 12.8 value. This is commonly referred to as "raping the PE table" and not considered good practice. Bolt-on parts and cam swaps will change the volumetric efficiency (or airflow potential) of the engine, and the VE table should be properly adjusted so the ECM isn't having to make large fuel adjustments to compensate.

Then there is ignition tables, transmission, and idle tuning... Idle tuning for a larger cam shaft is what really takes time and practice.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I can tune like a ****.

But I dont tune MAF cars. Only speed density, and focus mostly on turbo, and blower setups.

If you're interested. I'm in Enterprise AL, and tune with HP Tuners.

I've been tuning for 10 years. Tuning my turbo vette for a year and a half with HP Tuners, and can set you up for everything from E85 to big boost and timing.

I dont rape the PE table either.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

If I didn't tune my own stuff... I'd go with Clyde (Chevy406)... He knows all about the tuning and hasn't dealt with enough ******** to turn him against it yet! He's a 100% Good guy. All I know about "the other guy" is that I've personally witnessed a total loss fire on the dyno he orchestrated and told the customer "tough ****". That day I gave that 70yr old man a ride home after his "tuner" ran off... That changed my outlook on tuning and tolerance I have for bullshit. I almost feel bad for Clyde for the hassle he will end up dealing with down the road. He'll meet that ********** that "read it on LS1tech" and know why I don't tune for the average ******* any longer.

Btw... Flame away *******, my skin is as thick as your old ladies thighs!!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gomer
If I didn't tune my own stuff... I'd go with Clyde (Chevy406)... He knows all about the tuning and hasn't dealt with enough ******** to turn him against it yet! He's a 100% Good guy. All I know about "the other guy" is that I've personally witnessed a total loss fire on the dyno he orchestrated and told the customer "tough ****". That day I gave that 70yr old man a ride home after his "tuner" ran off... That changed my outlook on tuning and tolerance I have for bullshit. I almost feel bad for Clyde for the hassle he will end up dealing with down the road. He'll meet that ********** that "read it on LS1tech" and know why I don't tune for the average ******* any longer.

Btw... Flame away *******, my skin is as thick as your old ladies thighs!!
And yes... This is my first post since late 2011. I've been watching silently for a while
Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Gomer ftw

Quick Reply: Help need a tune in Huntsville Alabama