Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

It's been a while.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It's been a while.....

.....since I've read the board or seen any of you guys so I'm not up to date with what going on but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around and doing okay (for those who give a ****, lol).

I got a chance to take my car to the track down here with the new gears. They apparently changed the rules again and I'm not allowed to run 11s without a cage, so I was going to wait until the end of the night to run with the spray. I managed to get 2 runs in before it rained. They were both without nitrous. I ran a 12.6@111.9 (1.98 60') with the cutout closed and then a 12.5@112.1 (1.89 60') with it open. This was on the Nittos.

I did manage to get my *** handed to me on the way home from the track. I was running a 125 shot. This Cobra had a wee bit more than I did. Here's what it looked like. We both had a little traction issues because we started from too slow a speed. http://home.comcast.net/~pewterls1/Me_vs_Cobra.mpg

I didn't really like the gears at first but they're growing on me now and I'm starting to like them. I keep hitting my rev limiter in second because I'm so used to running that gear longer. For some reason, it's only that gear. I lowered my shift light to 6200 (limiter is at 6600) and I'm still hitting it from time to time. I also have the dreaded gear whine now. They were quiet as a mouse when first installed but a few launches on the drag radials has changed that. Is there anything I can do to quiet them down a little?

Keep it to the floor....
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow that cobra was FAST! pulled ya pretty good, did you get and chance to talke to him and find out what mods he had?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Hey Bobby! I was going to post a thread asking if anyone had heard from you? Its hard to believe a Cobra beat you like that especially with you running a 125 shot. You kicked the **** out of me pretty bad the last time you and I ran motor to motor. What did he have a KB running 19 psi or something? I ran against a pullied 03 Cobra with 453 RWHP 4 times straight at the track when I was running consistent 12.9s and he did not beat me that bad. Great to hear from you Bobby!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

HI Bobby..great to hear from ya..hope all is well..take care man and keep the shinny side up..
Old 09-20-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
wow that cobra was FAST! pulled ya pretty good, did you get and chance to talke to him and find out what mods he had?
Yeah, we pulled over and talked for a few minutes. He said he had a Whipple Charger @ 20 psi with all the other goodies. His set up was well done to say the least. Right before we parted ways, he said, "by the way, I also have a 45 shot on it too."

If you look at the video, we were pulling about even and then he pulled on me hard. That must have been when he sprayed.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Hey Bobby! I was going to post a thread asking if anyone had heard from you? Its hard to believe a Cobra beat you like that especially with you running a 125 shot. You kicked the **** out of me pretty bad the last time you and I ran motor to motor. What did he have a KB running 19 psi or something? I ran against a pullied 03 Cobra with 453 RWHP 4 times straight at the track when I was running consistent 12.9s and he did not beat me that bad. Great to hear from you Bobby!
Hey Jeff, I think we were close to being even until he sprayed me.

Maybe I need to change jets. J/K, I don't think I could safely spray enough to keep up with that.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slt200mph
HI Bobby..great to hear from ya..hope all is well..take care man and keep the shinny side up..
All is well here for the most part. Katrina passed through here my first night down here and pushed over a lot of trees and dumped some serious amounts of rain but we're all okay. We're lucky we didn't get it as bad as the Gulf Coast.

Drink and extra one for me at Hootas.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wile_E
.....since I've read the board or seen any of you guys so I'm not up to date with what going on but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around and doing okay (for those who give a ****, lol).

I got a chance to take my car to the track down here with the new gears. They apparently changed the rules again and I'm not allowed to run 11s without a cage, so I was going to wait until the end of the night to run with the spray. I managed to get 2 runs in before it rained. They were both without nitrous. I ran a 12.6@111.9 (1.98 60') with the cutout closed and then a 12.5@112.1 (1.89 60') with it open. This was on the Nittos.

I did manage to get my *** handed to me on the way home from the track. I was running a 125 shot. This Cobra had a wee bit more than I did. Here's what it looked like. We both had a little traction issues because we started from too slow a speed. http://home.comcast.net/~pewterls1/Me_vs_Cobra.mpg

I didn't really like the gears at first but they're growing on me now and I'm starting to like them. I keep hitting my rev limiter in second because I'm so used to running that gear longer. For some reason, it's only that gear. I lowered my shift light to 6200 (limiter is at 6600) and I'm still hitting it from time to time. I also have the dreaded gear whine now. They were quiet as a mouse when first installed but a few launches on the drag radials has changed that. Is there anything I can do to quiet them down a little?

Keep it to the floor....

Bobby glad to see things are good in the FLA!,you shouda called me...the first thing and most likely the answer to the noise is to TQ down the pinion nut a little,you will need I think a 24 or 26 mm socket and a fairly large rachet but if you do it with the wheels on the ground I would say a 1/4 turn should just about do it,hope this helps. Ken
Old 09-20-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Bobby glad to see things are good in the FLA!,you shouda called me...the first thing and most likely the answer to the noise is to TQ down the pinion nut a little,you will need I think a 24 or 26 mm socket and a fairly large rachet but if you do it with the wheels on the ground I would say a 1/4 turn should just about do it,hope this helps. Ken
I'll give that a shot. I haven't been driving my car much down here. I ride to work with my brother and just take my car out for recreation.

I'll see if tightening the pinion nut helps. Thanks for the tip Ken.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

I torqued down the pinion nut a little and most of the whine is gone. You can still hear a slight whine but it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help Ken (as always).
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wile_E
I torqued down the pinion nut a little and most of the whine is gone. You can still hear a slight whine but it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help Ken (as always).
Glad to help friend, on a complete new setup like yours was it is the most common deal for the pinion clearence to widen some what. Stay in touch brother