Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Emissions in Va

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions in Va

Ok well Iam going to be installing my new exhaust next week and I have a few questions. The headers I bought do not have emission fittings, so what do I do with my egr and air sensors. Also Iam going to a custom true dual setup and right now I dont have cats. Iam hoping I can pass without them but if not can I use my stock ones they only have 82K miles on them, or should I gut them(what does this take)? Also with the long tube headers I guess I can only bolt in one of the 2 02 sensors I plan on getting a madz28 tune to edit the 02 sensors out and the tripped codes from the egr and air. Any suggestions are welcomed and does anyone know where I might be able to get a inspection near mechanicsville that is a "slack" on their inspections?
-Brandon
Old 07-19-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

below 96 they are going to smell the tailpipes, youre pretty much outa luck for emissions unless you know somebody that knows somebody that likes money
Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

I though I heard that va just does a visual inspection? Also why would I be out of luck if they smell the tailpipe?
-Brandon
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

if you have a vehicle 1996 or newer they do the emissions threw the computer, hints egr, air sensors, 02 sensors it all tells the computer if your emissions are working correctly... below 96, they hook up to the tailpipes, seeing as you arent going to have egr... chances are your gonna need cats to even come close to passing, also they wont smell true duals, they arent gonna reach under the car its an automatic FAIL, thats what ya'll lt1 guys always get the shaft and i feel sorry for yall..... run your pipes out the back with some good cats and maybe you will pass
Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We LT1 owners just don't have any luck where emissions are concernd. The only way I got mine inspected was b/c I knew someone. Thats the only way really to get the sticker. One of the non-perks of being a LT1 owner. Good Luck.