Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Borla failed NC inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Borla failed NC inspection

Anyone in NC (Charlotte area specifically) been failed on the state inspection due to having Borla exhaust? my 99 TA just failed due to there being a y-pipe connection between the mufler and the right side tip (part of the Borla design) - I currently have no plate in there. This exhaust has passed on the car for 7 years so I was shocked to see it fail. The shop manager said that there should be no provision (ie y-pipe) for bypassing the muffler. The shop is going to call the a Union county inspector tomorrow morning to see if the car can pass with this exhaust. Ridiculous!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

So you live in Union, not meck county? Just go get the car inspected somewhere else, the more "Ma&pop" of a place it is, the better. If that makes any sence. -Jim
Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have all your baffles , you can block the right side off completely.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's CARB certified you are good. Just call Borla and get the carb EO
Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses guys. I live right over the Union county line south of Ballantyne. I had been getting the car inspected in Charlotte until this year I decided to take it to a closer location in Wahaw - by mistake obviously! The problem is that somewhere in the NC inspection testing manual under exhaust it mentions that a y-pipe that could bypass the muffler will require the exhaust portion to be failed. Now, this is read to me by the shop manager out of the book so I do not have the context. It may only be talking to a y-pipe that could bypass the cat. I am trying to find a copy of the manual to verify myself. I explained to the shop manager that the exhaust is adjustable and I can block off the right side entirely - routing all exhaust through the muffler. The inspector said he still could not pass it due to there being the y and being able to easily take the plate back out. I already called the shop that did my inspection last year and several years before (with the Borla on the car) and they said they would pass it. My main thing is I paid $33 bucks for inspection already and if I can confirm that they should pass the car I want to make them reinspect rather than shelling out another $33. It's not the money, its the principle.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anytime you get involved with the government city, county, state or federal you are going to get phuched...spend another $33 and go back where you passes for the last 6 years and do it there and be done with it..you are always better off with as little interaction with the government as possible no matter what the situation is...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Smile

slt200mph - I totally hear what you are saying - sometimes best to cut your losses. Just ticks me off!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you mean but when ever you find a EZ way to deal with the gov ... if it aint broke dont fix it .... is the best policy..
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

WTF??? Mine passes over here on the eastern seaboard in NC easy, w/ my cam,headers, exhaust.... you just need a good tune. My tune I think fooled the inspection computer, you could smell my car running, almost to the point of burning your eyes and the guy just looked at my car and then back at the computer and did that back and forth a few times......but it said I was running efficiant. ha ha gotta love a good tune.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Man, I'd pay $10 grand if it bought me immunity from misdemeanors, city ordinances, and traffic laws for just one month.

Life would rock.

What's $33 dollars? I would leave twin skid marks outta' that place.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by !2Slo
The problem is that somewhere in the NC inspection testing manual under exhaust it mentions that a y-pipe that could bypass the muffler will require the exhaust portion to be failed. Now, this is read to me by the shop manager out of the book so I do not have the context. It may only be talking to a y-pipe that could bypass the cat. I am trying to find a copy of the manual to verify myself.
i have my inspection license in NC, and the rule is made to keep people from having cutouts that bypass their muffler (or cats for that matter). the rules in the manual are very strict about exhaust stuff... no exhaust leaks, no cutouts, and you can't move the cats from their origional positions.
i know it sucks that you waisted that $33 on an inspection, but i feel pretty confident that you can take it to the next shop up the street and they wouldn't fail you. sometimes the inspectors just want to make sure that their back is covered and that the car passes the plug-in portion of the inspection.

although i'm not inspecting now, if you have any inspection questions let me know.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Teching In

~JOSHUA - you don't know how close I was to leaving those twin skid marks outta there!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

I feel sorry for you OBD2 guys trying to modify your cars and still pass the computer test. I went with a 95 OBD1 model car just so I wouldn't have a headache at inspection time. They just check the safety stuff and let me go.

One thing that does tick my off is we have to obey these inspection laws (wife's car is OBD2) when SC residents don't. Now that may not bother most people it does me because me next door neighbor lives in SC. I can throw a rock from my house and hit his yet he doesn't have to get an inpection and I do.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

its all gay if u ask me
Old 12-08-2006, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

thats why i love alabama
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

AMEN!! exhaust systems are optional lololol
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

damn i passed charlotte, nc inspection with longtubes, ory no AIR and no EGR no sweat...tuned out the codes but still
Old 12-15-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mississippi rules i have a SES light a SV light, brake, abs and air bag on, not to mention a wide open borla with a huge cam, i pull up hand dude 5bucks, he puts my sticker on and i go on about my buisness
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Took it back to the shop that had passed the car years prior. Passed no problem. The inspector and shop manager took a look at the exhaust and could see no reason to fail it (course, I put the block off plate in for good measure). Now, to get the 3.73s that have been sitting for a year and half since I bought them installed!

Quick Reply: Borla failed NC inspection