Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Slight Knocking in Motor. Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slight Knocking in Motor. Help Please.

The other day while I was driving my car, it suddenly developed a small knock. To me, it don't sound like a spun bearing because it is not that loud of a knock. I thought it may be a broke valve spring, so I pulled the valve covers, nothing found there. I decided to drain the oil and see if there was any metal shavings or parts there, nothing there either.

Weird thing about it is that it takes forever to crank up now...it has to turn over like 7-8 times before it will crank up. It has great oil pressure when running though, around 55-60 psi at idle. What could possibly be my knock? Lifter? Broken cam lobe?

Just for a FYI...I have just recently installed PRC stage 2.5 5.3 liter heads and a MS3 cam in my car from Texas-Speed. I replaced the lifters at the time of the heads/cam install. Thanks for the help in advance.

Zach
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did u pull ur rocker arms off and see if u got any pushrods bent? I got a rod knocking in mine right now it isnt very loud and still holds great oil pressure, but i can tell its a rod because its more of a rattle down low than up high...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

I didnt pull the rocker arms off, I will check that this afternoon.