Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Lowes Motor Speedway 1/4 drag strip!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lowes Motor Speedway 1/4 drag strip!!!

The owner or Lowes Motor speedway is trying to build a 1/4 strip outside of Charlotte. The city is trying to screw him and stop the build. Help us ralley together to over turn the cities decision and get this thing going. LMS will have a high qualitly strip if all is a go.

Here is the link of cities decision..
http://www.charlotte.com/news/story/301709.html

Mayor and city members email links
http://www.ci.concord.nc.us/cityhall_0.asp

And my favorite, Owners response to not allowing the build. He will sut the LMS and rebuild in Charlotte.
http://www.wsoctv.com/sports/14251573/detail.html

Lets keep that from happening and save it. Evey little voice adds up please help.
~Derek
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it gets built. The nearby home owners talking about the noise a dragstrip would bring. But, don't they live near a race track already. One of the articles says something about it distrubing there children's sleep. Do they think they will be out there all night long. I hate stupid people.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

The speedway was there before they were. So if they didn't like noise, why would you build a house beside it? The ignorance of people never cease's to amaze me.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
The speedway was there before they were. So if they didn't like noise, why would you build a house beside it? The ignorance of people never cease's to amaze me.
I totally agree. No matter what it is...circle track, dragstrip, concert venue, etc....if you don't like noise, then don't build your house next to it!

I hope he moves the track. Bruton doesn't mess around!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

I used to live beside it 15 yrs ago and it was always loud then. You get used to it, a 1/4 track isn't going to make a differance! I think Concord will cave and let him build it, they can't afford to loose the speedway too now that Phillip Morris to leaving. If they don't and Humpy moves it all to Charlotte thats still closer to me than Moorsville or Rochingham. I see it as a win/win situation. I plan on living at the new track.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If I was Bruton I would move out and donate all the land to FEMA for a trailer park.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kp
If I was Bruton I would move out and donate all the land to FEMA for a trailer park.
HAHA, then the nice people from the new trailer park would have no where to hang out, I mean what is a good trailer park without a race track nerby??

But on a more serious note, Bruton has all the money he needs, I dont see him bluffing against moving the track. Hell if I was worth 1.4 BILLION I would do as I pleased too.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
That would be hilarious!! They are all worried about their property value.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

i think that bruton is very determind..and sooner or later...the drag strip Will be built..which i cant wait for..
Old 10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

I would love for one to be there. Speaking from the shoes of a home owner I wouldn't want it there. Flip side being, noise in the area? nothing new
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12stones
I would love for one to be there. Speaking from the shoes of a home owner I wouldn't want it there. Flip side being, noise in the area? nothing new
Well I agree, we would all like to have no noise but I have seen million dollar houses built 50 feet from train tracks and right along the flight paths of major airports. You just get used to it, I'm sure the NASCAR track doesnt get a ton of use but the dragstrip will be a year round, every weekend thing. Just have to weigh the potential income against how many people it will **** off.

Unfortunately drag racers these days are about on the same level with people who smoke in restaurants as far as public opinion goes. Only time you ever hear about drag racing one the 'real' news is when someone gets killed or hurt badly - or skr33t racing. 20-30 years ago drag racing was a lot more mainstream and people thought it was cool to have a track 1/2 a mile away, I remember seeing drag racing results and new records (not just fiery crashes) on the 10 o'clock news when I was a kid. Even though it pisses me off to see that track stopped at least the houses were there first. The biggest pisser is when developers start building subdivisions near tracks that have been there forever and then try to get the tracks shut down..
Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Teching In

That area has been always noisy as hell weather there is a Nascar race going on or not. Concerts r more louder and noisy, plus I can everyday hear at home ppl kicking so strong at the 485 or the 85 and it sounds as it next to my door , no wonder also cops are all around that area.

I live next to the 485 and have a good view from my window, and can see the need of a dragstrip especially in that area.

There is an abundance of sportcars in the university area, everybody is talking about how they can't enjoy their cars and my guess also this should reduce streetracin to.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NASCAR.COM - Smith bluffs move of LMS in battle with city officials - Oct 5, 2007

Pretty interested read I tripped across today
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

petition for dragstrip at lowes

saw that on carolina rides... then signed it
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kp
The biggest pisser is when developers start building subdivisions near tracks that have been there forever and then try to get the tracks shut down..

That is so true. It happened here. I live in Texarkana, TX. There was a dirt track just outside of town here, and a big apartment complex/golf club moved in about 1/4 mile through the woods away from it, next thing that happens they petition and get it closed because of the noise. And that place had been there for well over 20 years!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

I can't wait 'til they build the drag strip!!!! I only live 5 miles from LMS Made the 1-1/2 hr. drive all the way to Rockingham to race a few weeks ago
Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
That would be hilarious!! They are all worried about their property value.
I'll second this vote. FEMA still has about 8000 trailers sitting in a field, in South Arkansas, that they could move.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the quote in the article where Burton says..."It's not a threat (to move LMS)...it's a business decision".

I live in the D.C. area now, where we have 3 1/4 mile strips within an hour's drive (one about 15 minutes from me), but I grew up in Asheville, NC (my family still resides there) and I've always said that a 1/4 mile track in the Western part of the state would make a FORTUNE. I'm honestly surprised that no one has done it yet.

I hope to move back to NC in the next year or so, so it would be fantastic to have nice shiny new track relatively close.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

There already is a big *** trailer park right from it!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I live in mooresville about 20 minutes from lowes. You guys should have seen the local news coverage. The owner of the speedway said Fine if you dont want me to build another track Im shutting down the speedway and taking it elsewhere, all of the sudden everyone was OK with the dragstrip. The owners lawyer looked like the penguine from batman with long hair.

Quick Reply: Lowes Motor Speedway 1/4 drag strip!!!