Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

My video of what 2002 Camaro SS optional SLP 345 hp Center Mount Exhaust sounds like

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My video of what 2002 Camaro SS optional SLP 345 hp Center Mount Exhaust sounds like

I got really frustrated looking for what in the world '97 Camaro SS SLP Dual-Dual optional exhaust sounds like, so I decided to upload a video of exactly what the 2002 Camaro SS optional SLP Center Exit Exhaust package sounds like to help other people to not be frustrated in the future.

The 345hp package included the entire cat-back starting with a 3 inch intermediate pipe, the same muffler as SLP Dual-Dual optional exhaust (3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets, muffler measures approximately 22x11x5 or 5.5 just like the stock Z28 one measures (though, at least for LT1 Z28s, it had a 2.75" i-pipe, narrowed down to 2.5" where it connected to the muffler, and 2.25" outlets)), pipes leading around the cargo space, and a cast aluminum centrally mounted dual outlet tip with polished lips. The package also included the SLP Blackwing air intake lid.

As my description on the video says, if you lack a subwoofer, you won't be hearing ANY exhaust properly, and that especially applies to this one. It's a very low frequency exhaust that is actually quite loud, but without a subwoofer, all you'll hear is what sounds like hamsters running in wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9yF4I2Vh4

I called SLP today, and whoever I was talking to managed to bother me enough with wrong information (though good information and advice in other things I asked him about) that I had to upload a video and make a topic.

Wrong claim #1: This exhaust is quiet. WRONG.

Is it so loud you need earplugs? No way, but this is much louder than our stock '95 Z28 and certainly much louder than my stock '06 GXP with LS4. I'd say it's 1.5 times louder than the Z28, and 2 to 3 times louder than my GXP. It sounds extremely good at idle and at any speed. I don't know why they continue to offer the terrible SLP Loudmouth exhaust, but not this type. This type was so much different from everything else on the market (in both looks and sound).

You can hear a comparison video between our cars here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyQGa2efTY
Again, you'll need a subwoofer...

Wrong claim #2: This exhaust reuses the factory SS muffler. WRONG.

It's the same as the one used with the SLP Dual-Dual cat-back SLP no longer offers. Whoever I was talking to told me it was the stock SS muffler and after hanging up, I had so many "WTF?!?!?!"s over my head that I had to sit down and research it. The SLP owner's manual supplement (which does not include the 10 hp gained by the Blackwing air intake) is proof enough for me.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? what is your point exactly
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CME on my 02 SS is loud for a stock exhaust.My 13yr old daughter was complaining that the car was too loud and It does have a loud droning @ a certain RPM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

This exhaust is pretty much a loud drone at any speed. I really enjoy it, and that's what makes it so different from most of the other exhausts.

Most people think it's quiet when they hear it on their computer, but in real life it's really great.

Quick Reply: My video of what 2002 Camaro SS optional SLP 345 hp Center Mount Exhaust sounds like