Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

35th SS vert or Viper GTS

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 35th SS vert or Viper GTS

I dont know if this is the right forum.

Anyway, I have a 35th LE Convertible with 6,000 miles on it. It is in perfect shape. My problem is I am growing tired of the F Bodys and would like to get something different. I have been looking at 96-02 Vipers. I would like to keep my car and buy one but cant afford both. Does anyone have one that could tell me what they think. Should I keep my vert and buy a viper down the road. Which would be a better investment? Are vipers as nice as they look? Please help me! I think about this on a daily basis and Its driving me crazy!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have a really collectible car there. Your car is def gonna be a nice investment but is your not driving the car and enjoying it worth $$ later down the road. In my opinion its not. If I were you I would try and keep that car and buy something else as well.

Vipers are nice and you don't really see to many around but for the money, I would try and find a nice C6 Z06 instead.

Thats just me though.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 AM
TECH Resident

Definitaly viper out of those two cars, they are in different leagues.

Investment wise i dont think your LE will start appreciaiting in value for many years, unless you happen to find a buyer who is looking for EXACTLY that car.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

A car is a horrible investment, unless it's something you know you can turn around and sell for more.
As for the Viper, they are great looking cars- they are expensive as hell to mod. I know this first hand because my old roomate is on his 2nd quad cab SRT-10 truck(9 mpg). And his parts cost way more-
And just go get a tune up and see how you feel about keeping that V-10.. Its just overall an expensive car.. And why not keep yours if its paid for?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep both...if not get a Viper. There's nothing cheap about cars.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Edit: any interest in unloading your 69 Camaro? PM me with details.

I'm in the same boat. I've thought about getting a Viper next year. Couple reasons:

Good:
1. It's a real race car that you can drive on the street.
2. It had Carrol Shelby and Iaccoca involvement
3. It's in the exotic catagory
4. It's raw power, unlike the more subdued Corvettes
5. Vipers stop traffic, Corvettes do not
6. It won't depreciate as fast as a Corvette or F-body

Bad:
1. It's a Dodge which for someone who's a die hard GM person is hard to make the jump
2. It's a V10, for someone who's a die hard V8 driver, it might be hard to get used to the sound. However, certain exhaust systems do make them sound wicked

If I was you, sell your LE before it depreciates any further and while it's still summer time.

Get a 96-99 GTS as 99 was the last year for the forged internals in the V10. In '00 they started to cheap out.

You can get a 450hp Viper with less than 30k miles for about the cost of a base new Camaro SS. RT/10s are even cheaper.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope I am keeping the 69.

Thanks for the comments. I posted the same thing on the viper forums and they were not as nice.

Im still undecided. One thing is I have a 4 year old son and we could not all ride together in the viper. That and the value of my Camaro down the road are the two reasons I would keep it.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also considered this. But ultimately I decided I'd rather keep my Camaro and get a Viper GTS when my funds and garage space allow it.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the viper, in the long run it will be a better investment.

If i am correct, viper no more after these year no more production.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Proto X
I posted the same thing on the viper forums and they were not as nice.
Not surprising. I'm sure at the mention of Camaro they were throwing insults about how crappy the f-bodys were.

Nine Ball had a 35th LE and now has a SRT coupe. Check out his fquick.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Demonspeed-many Viper owners have Camaros and Corvette. Here is my post from the Alley.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...ert-viper.html

If you had a 69 Camaro(like mine) with every possible mod it would be a tough decision. This is a no-brainer since you have an 02 Camaro. No comparison unless you are a little light headed.

Gen2's are considered to be the Hottest looking Viper. Superior to any stock Camaro in every way. Drive down the road for 10 miles alongside a Viper with your 02Camaro. Your car would be invisible, even to a State Trooper. I would never knock Camaros. My 69 is still my favorite car and I also own an 09 Viper. Before the 09 I had a 1000hp boosted Viper. Even then I still preferred my 69 but if I had an 02 F-body it would be gone as fast as I could find a 96-02 Viper. That is just my opinion. Good Luck with your decision.

Paging Nineball
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Default Really???????????????????????????????????

You have to be joking about this one! Complete apples and oranges. Totally different league!

I can assure you it will be MANY decades (if ever) before your FE starts appreciating in value. Dont own a gen 3 or 4 Camaro as an investment! They are a dime a dozen and there's just about nothing that makes them note worthy or attractive from an investment standpoint. With that said, The GTS is an icon. One of the sexiest cars ever made. Plus it has a big V10 with a ****-load of potential. For this reason, they will always be valued. The car market in general is very depressed right not and there are some good deals on Viper GTS's, which otherwise hold their value pretty well (and there's a reason for that, unlike your Camaro).

In the looks dept, a 96-02 GTS is about 1000 times more attractive than your car. The Vipers are a little hot inside, they can be tough to get in and out of, and parts are more costly... but these are things you have to be ready to accept. If its going to be used as a DD, your Camaro is probably the better car. Weekend toy? NO COMPARISON! It's like comparing a super model with some fat pig you see shopping a Walmart...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ Agree...

Viper GTS FTW! I have been a die hard GM guy and have had Camaros, 4 Corvettes and a Cadi CTS-V. Now, after owning a GTS, I don't think I will ever sell it... just add other cars to the stable. For a weekend toy, it is hard to beat. Sure the mods are more expensive and that is because the car is so rare, but it is honestly one of the few cars that is fun enough right out of the box to keep stock.

The only other cars that I would choose over a GTS are a 3rd / 4th gen. Viper for a weekend car. For a daily driver, I'd get a C6 Z06 or a new CTS-V. The attention this car gets is pretty crazy... camera phones, thumbs up, etc. I have had people pull u-turns to follow me to get a closer look.

Right now is a great time to buy... good luck in your decision.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

stock fbody vs viper

VIPER EVERYTIME
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

this thread stinks
Get the viper
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to be a big Viper GTS fan. I still think they are gorgeous. A decade ago, I used to look at them for sale on ebaymotors every week. It was so odd... there were so many of them that had front end damage. I got to reading about them, and learned that they didn't get ABS brakes until 2002, the lack of which I assume to be the reason these things seem to have such a hard time stopping...?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Ha! I caught this thread from the alley. Proto X im in the same boat. I have always wanted a Viper, especially a GTS. If you have the means I would go with a Viper. That's my plan. U know though with a kid involved how bout a terminator cobra? Different then the Camaro and Viper and has a sweet following! 600+ RWHP with nothing much more than a whipple and fuel!! Holds value pretty well too, better than the fbodys.

Although a Viper is a Viper! That's where i'm going too later this year if all goes well.

Semper Fi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 35th SS vert or Viper GTS