Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

those with garage queens....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those with garage queens....

How often should you change your oil in a car that pretty much sits?? I start mine up now and then but wasn't sure how it affects the oil or if it even does. Anything else thats good to do besides fuel stablilizer, etc??
Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

They say every 3 months but i don't know if it is different with synthetic oil
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Twice a year for me and mine, I do a max of 3k miles in 1 year, YMMV
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Launching!

i know the whole 3 month/300 mile thing but im running synthetic oil and have under 2300 miles total on the car. The oil isnt really getting dirty since i dont drive it, but I wasnt sure if it hurts anything just sitting there....plus I have a cam and other mods if thats worth noting.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once a year with my 81 & 99
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dan
Once a year with my 81 & 99
Been 2 years since mine has been changed....how many miles a year are you guys putting on some of these cars?? I know I may not be doing mine much good especially the seals with it not getting moved much.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

700 miles or less per year is nothing to worry about as long as the mods you made are solid. Doesn't matter if its synthetic or Dino oil. The seals in any LSxx engine are not affected from lack of a oil change - they are silicone and very resistant to temp changes, water, etc.

I didn't change oil in my limited edition 01 SS for over 2 years with a total of 1160 miles on the clock. Out of curiousity, I sent a used oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It came back with good results which tells me that the BS about an annual oil change is just a myth. Some say that condensation is the problem with letting a car sit, but the analysis from Blackstone didn't show that. Change the oil if it makes you feel good, but on a low milage Garage Queen, its probibly not be necessary.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
700 miles or less per year is nothing to worry about as long as the mods you made are solid. Doesn't matter if its synthetic or Dino oil. The seals in any LSxx engine are not affected from lack of a oil change - they are silicone and very resistant to temp changes, water, etc.

I didn't change oil in my limited edition 01 SS for over 2 years with a total of 1160 miles on the clock. Out of curiousity, I sent a used oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It came back with good results which tells me that the BS about an annual oil change is just a myth. Some say that condensation is the problem with letting a car sit, but the analysis from Blackstone didn't show that. Change the oil if it makes you feel good, but on a low milage Garage Queen, its probibly not be necessary.
Yeah ive heard mixed reactions so that's why I was asking. I was mainly worried about the seals dry cracking from not being moved even tho it stays in the garage and about the oil picking up moisture from just starting it up and letting it run and building up heat but not actually moving the car to where its getting air pushed into it. I know a lot of people claim it does more harm to leave a car sit so just trying to find out opinions and first hand experience on this.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to change mine this weekend and it's been a little over a year and just shy of 3k miles on mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic. w/ delco filter
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Some say that condensation is the problem with letting a car sit
I heard the issue with this was starting a car up and letting it idol in the garage on occassion...??? Dunno...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

For the pride and money you have invested in your car I don't think that a $50 oil change once or twice a year would be to much to ask.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Been 2 years since mine has been changed....how many miles a year are you guys putting on some of these cars?? I know I may not be doing mine much good especially the seals with it not getting moved much.
I put 2-3k on my 99 a year & about a couple hundred on the 81
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mom's SS gets driven really limited amounts, and we've been questioning when to change it as well. Whenever she has me check the oil, it's still clean, even half a year later after only 100 or so many miles.

The speedometer sensor's seal and powersteering fluid seal on the rack do not seem to like being left to sit however. Both of those were leaking, but not to the point they were dripping. The '95 Z28 that gets driven every day had a leak at both of those locations as well. For that matter, my GXP had a power steering leak in the same place!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Unless you have a GMMG or LT4 car, you really need to drive it. Its not going to be worth anything anytime soon. You are only cheating yourself out of valuable car time by not driving your rides. It took me a while to realize I was only preserving cars for others to use and enjoy as I "kept it nice" by letting it just sit like auto art in my garage, total waste. DRIVE THESE CARS.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

It's your property. Do with it what you want. Screw what anybody else thinks.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Launching!

I kind of disagree....I think it could be worth something down the road. Probably not in the next 5-10 years but I think the low mileage WS6's do pull good money still now. Pontiac is dead and the TA isn't coming back anytime soon so who knows. Id rather have a nice car that still looks brand new than one that has rock chips all over it and dings down the side b/c of all the jackasses that could care less about a car when they park beside you. Once i get done with school, I want another one to drive but I think I want to preserve this one.
I know alot of people have the mind set of drive the damn thing and may be right, but it's nice to have a car that looks like new and when you do drive it, people stop to look b/c of how it looks and sounds. Not bad for a car that is 8 years old and a design that goes back to 1998. I could be biased but I would argue that the WS6 is one of the meanest looking cars GM has made. I'd love to have my exact car now but with the new GM build quality and an LS3 or LS7 from the factory.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I heard the issue with this was starting a car up and letting it idol in the garage on occassion...??? Dunno...
I do this once a month in the winter..
Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine less than 1,000 miles a year. I've been changing the oil twice a year but will prolly just do once a year now. Unless it sees the track then right after a heavy track day.

Quick Reply: those with garage queens....