-gmmg officially bankrupt-

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default -gmmg officially bankrupt-

Well someone had to say it!

http://www.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.or...aseno=09112654

Will they be remembered for their work notably the 2002 ZL1 or will everyone associate them as a aftermarket company making hi performance cars using GM models. It seams every one is making special edition cars these days.

I also noticed that GMMG cars have been going for less and less as the years go by. Maybe I am mistaken but that is what I have observed.

Furthermore, when the true new 2012 ZL1 was unveiled yesterday at the Chicago Auto Show, there were so many flashbacks explaining how the original ZL1 came to be in 1969 with the help of risk taking GM dealers sneaking special stuff through the back door. The was no mention of GMMG's 2002 ZL1 and GM clearly states that after 42 years the iconic legend is back totally dismissing GMMG's ZL1's as a production GM car effectively placing them in the aftermarket realm.

GMMG seamed different because they used as many stock GM parts as they could in their cars to effectively offer the same warranty from GM. Furthermore, you could go to a select few Hi-Performance GM dealerships and order your GMMG car from them which added to the stock feeling.

In the end, they were an aftermarket company that delt directly with dealerships and should never be compared with the actual GM factory which was the St-Therese assembly plant along with SLP in Lanchine at the time located in Quebec, Canada.

I feel that GMMG had the spirit of SLP which is where Matthew Murphy worked in the 90's which would explain why GMMG has that stock GM feeling. SLP on the other hand is definitely standard GM production stuff and although GMMG tried it as well on its cars, it will never archive the "Stock" product designation SLP cars and product have.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

You bring up some valid points. GM is dissmissing the 02 ZL1. Maybe because it was called the ZL1 Supercar? Whatever the reason, I do know that these cars were approved by GM and had that extra something from certain dealers that were around in the late 60's and early 70's. I am sure that every camaro has dropped in value over the last few years so that doesn't suprise me that the GMMG cars are dropping as well. I personely am sick of all these Mustangs and Camaros being whored out to make a buck based on the 60's. The specialness is gone to me. I think in time the GMMG cars will be looked at kindly in history.
They will certainly out perform the 2001-02 SLP camaros at the auction block. Time will tell but if your an F-body fan these GMMG's are the ones to have regaurdless of collectibilty.

02 Year One Blackbird #4 380HP

Last edited by jim simon; 02-11-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Well said Mr. Simon. I could have had a (SLP) Firehawk but I wanted something "special". I was one of the lucky that had my Firehawk order messed up by Southern GM in Shelbyville, TN and after seeing all of the hood bubbles and flaking chrome (on the wheels) I got over my loss. I started hounding Matt in mid-2004; asking questions when I would find a Blackbird, 35 Year Anniversary Edition or a YearOne. I saw some pretty good deals come and go, like the number 19 of 19 35 Year car. It was in Montgomery, Alabama with 9800 miles on it and a asking price of $23,900 and I let it go. I also passed on the only red Formula YearOne car (besides the red prototype), on the lot at Jacky Jones Pontiac. I had my heart set on a convertible and waited until I could get the very last Blackbird built - a Collector Edition converted in August-September 2008. I bought the car brand new from the dealer in late August 2008. Matt picked it up for me in his trailer, transported it to GMMG, modified it and delivered it to me on October 13, 2008. I am the only owner of my GMMG car and although it only has 945 miles on it I am very happy with my decision. I am thinking about selling it in the spring, just to do something different, nothing to do with GMMG's woes. If/When I sell, I may lose my butt - I didn't buy her as an investment. Regardless, I am proud to have been a part of something special.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The future value if these GMMG cars will be determined by how desirable they will be from fans of the 4th Gen F-body cars. I personally still love the 4th Gen's and would be willing to purchase these in the future assuming I'd have the wallet to do so.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Wth the new fuel mileage standards I would think LS based 427's and 454's will be the "new" HEMI 20 years from now.

Rumor is the C7 vette is going to be 5.5 liters. If I had a GMMG car I think I would hold onto it for at least 5 more years. Big cubic inch factory sponsored cars are going down the drain quickly.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

The Dick Harrell cars will always be the ultimate 4th gen IMO. If I ever find myself in a position to own one, it will be done
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
The Dick Harrell cars will always be the ultimate 4th gen IMO. If I ever find myself in a position to own one, it will be done
They are definitely something to behold! The concept Penske #6 was GM's last hurra concerning the 4th generation. GMMG asked and got the opportunity to make more productions of those bodies.

Imagine if they were to actually become factory stock...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

I just took a look at GMMGINC.net and the site is still up for now. It seams to be the only thing left.

Maybe Matt will rise from the ashes!

Somebody must still be paying for the GMMG site to be up?

http://www.gmmginc.net/

Or maybe its just waiting till the prepaid contract is up.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
I just took a look at GMMGINC.net and the site is still up for now. It seams to be the only thing left.

Maybe Matt will rise from the ashes!

Somebody must still be paying for the GMMG site to be up?

http://www.gmmginc.net/

Or maybe its just waiting till the prepaid contract is up.
Yeah...I'm still paying for the site to be up

Matt Murphy, GMMG, Inc, GMMG.

Rise from the ashes, my a$$. He needs to go work at Sears Automotive, or Pep Boys.

Last edited by driver0926; 03-31-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

To bad, I am glad I sold my ZL1 after hearing this.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if i can speak for anyone else? But i would take the Dick Harrell GMMG camaro over any new camaro....or ANY camaro for that matter. It cant get better then how that car looks! I would do anything to own one! RIP GMMG ive always admired them!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^I AGREE.... but GMMG should sell their DH fenders to us. Sad!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

In the end it's sad to see what happened to Matt & GMMG we will never know the whole truth as to what happened there are always two sides to a story (normally the middle is more realistic)

What set apart GMMG from the rest was

1. Availability of the cars (limited number of dealerships)
2. Upgrading cars from stock to different levels
3. 99% of the parts not available to the public (badges, decals, ect..)
4.75%-80% of the parts used were OEM GM parts not aftermarket
5. Some of the most heavily documented 4th Gen Cars on the planet including the Camaro White book Vol.1 & Vol.2

Do I believe these cars will be worth some $$$ down the road YES, they were all limited production, excellent documentation, and the best of that era no questions asked. IMHO if GMMG goes under and is no more this will make the cars even more valuable down the road 10+ years. To compare a GMMG car next to a SLP SS or Firehawk is non-sense they are not even in the same league.

As for the ZL-1 Super Car from GMMG the reason why they were not mentioned in the SLP or GM ZL1advertisising is that the GMMG cars had to carry the “Supercar” name so in reality they were never a true ZL1 in the sense the could bear the name ZL1 alone they had to be called the ZL1 Super Car.

Sean
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put 01pewter2001z28.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I recall a ZL1 going for like 90K or something at barrett jackson a few years back. So they will definitely be worth some cash money in the future
Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Documentation sets these cars apart. These cars are COPO's= GM approved upgrade. Not an aftermarket afterthought. BTW there wouldn't have been a 4thGen SS without Matt. SLP would have originally had to call their cars Z28-SS. It was Matt that got GM upper(Top) management to get the legal department to clear the SS's.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a real shame. So much for doing my phase 2 upgrade.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Smokie87,

If you ever decide to sell your GMMG convertible, please let me know. I currently own a '02 Blackbird, car #32 and would like to add a convertible all original GMMG ragtop to my collection. I agree with everyone that the GMMG cars will uphold their value in the future. How many other cars have car numbers, door dog tags and matching numbers marked on the cylinder heads of the engine. Plus for those that met Matt Murphy and got the original paperwork you will be glad you did. Like they say documentation / paperwork can bring 15% - 35% more money to a true collector.
I dealt with Matt and met him in person and he was very helpful and knowledgeable about his cars. He and his cars will always hold much respect with me. Long live the GMMG car heritage!!

Regards,
Matt Phillips
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FH212
That is a real shame. So much for doing my phase 2 upgrade.
Not a problem, send it to Vengeance Racing. They are doing a 496 stroker motor on my 7000 mile Tom Henry car.

Mike and Ron were the original people at GMMG, there guys now how to make horsepower! Check them out on facebook.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

yea but no paper work stamped heads nothing.... if all we wanted was a fast f-body i think we could have all found a cheaper route... but we got our gmmg cars to be a part of a fortunate few who could get there hands on and upgrade theirs through gmmg so would it keep its value by doin outside upgrades idk to me it becomes just another fast f-body IMO

Quick Reply: -gmmg officially bankrupt-