Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Who's modified their WS6 and kept ALL the stock parts?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's modified their WS6 and kept ALL the stock parts?

Thats my plan atleast! I plan on putting headers, SLP lid, Cat-Back, Head Unit, subwoofer, rims, speakers, and more on my car and plan to keep EVERY single stock part for later. Anyone else actually do this then put everything BACK on the car? I'd like to keep it for value, as it is a somewhat rare car. My friends and family are getting mad because I'm modifying "such a fast car already and I shouldn't waste my money on it" but I totally disagree

FYI: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it is a very low mile car it's not going to be worth what you think. Mod the hell out of it and enjoy, it's your car. You have paid/are paying for it and to hell what everyone else thinks.

Just my .02
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Unless it is a very low mile car it's not going to be worth what you think. Mod the hell out of it and enjoy, it's your car. You have paid/are paying for it and to hell what everyone else thinks.

Just my .02
Is 34k miles low? lol
Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idle
Is 34k miles low? lol
I would think 34K is pretty low, for a '99. My '02 WS6 had 31K on it when I bought it 3 years ago, but I've had to use it as a dd, and just rolled 90K....Mod it and enjoy it....
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The unmolested and stock F-body cars (for the most part) will be the more valuable one's. Most people do not like taking on other people's projects... or there may even be modifications that they prefer weren't performed. So yes I think it is a good idea to keep the stock parts. I have all of mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
The unmolested and stock F-body cars (for the most part) will be the more valuable one's. Most people do not like taking on other people's projects... or there may even be modifications that they prefer weren't performed. So yes I think it is a good idea to keep the stock parts. I have all of mine.
But is it practical to think that if you were to sell it with the STOCK parts, that it would fetch more money than with the aftermarket parts? Meaning... you go to sell your car, that you put everything stock back on it (however hard that would be) and you'd get more value out of it.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

either way. putting it back to stock will get you more money in the long run because the mods don't really add value to the car, back to stock and selling the performance parts will get you more money back 9 out of 10 times
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Teching In

It will depend on the future buyer, some like the mods, some don't. A car modded the way you propose seems to fetch the same as a stock car as it just depends on the buyer's preference. Keeping all the stock parts is a great idea, that way you have options and can easily turn it back to stock over a weekend if that is the buyer's preference...
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Man, I've kept all my stock parts and everything is bolt on, but I would hate to have to put her back to stock! I don't see how anyone in their right mind would want my car back to stock. But never know. As I always say,... There's an *** for every seat!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Definately keep all the stock parts. When I first got my 30th TA, I had a LTs, ORY & magnaflow installed. The guy asked what id like to do with the stock exhaust, Thinking it wasnt worth anything, I said throw it out

You will always get more money by returning the car to stock and selling your mods. Thats what Ive done.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I somewhat disagree with the concept of keeping all the stock parts and returning a car to stock and having it be worth more. Unless you've taken the stock parts off the car with no mileage on them, I can't see how they would be worth more. For example, I am building up the suspension on a low mileage (20k) CETA M6 'vert. I took the panhard, torque arm and rear control arms off and replaced with black UMI parts and added subframe connectors. The stock stuff was (is) cheap with surface rust and dry rubber. Why would anybody ever want to put that stuff back on? Twenty years from now someone is going to do a nut and bolt restoration on my car and want the cheesy factory stamped parts (even if they are blasted, painted and have new bushings? I guess crazier things have happened in the collector car world, but the car is just plain better with the aftermarket parts. I do keep my stock parts but I just fail to see why anybody would want my rusty old stock exhaust
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Not neccesarrily worth more returned to stock for just the car, but when you total the two up (selling car stock + selling aftermarket parts) it's worth more most likely than selling the car in modified state. Seeing as when most cars sell in modified state, they bring the same amount of money as a stock car. "Most times" I agree, I'd rather buy my car right now how it sits, than in stock form and have to do it all over again.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I kept all my stock parts, and there are a lot of them no longer on or in the car. You never know.

-Motor
-Diff
-Transmission
-interior, stereo
-suspension
-K member and A arms
-wheels
-hood (I have a light weight WS6 on it.)

I am missing the cat back, though I have the stock manifolds, cats and y pipe.

Otherwise I have modded the carp out of it.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

as an owner of a car with 7553 miles, i AM keeping all of my original parts. i currently have everything off of my car except the original battery and the original dry rotted wiper blades, both of which the original owner tossed out. i am undergoing a rear suspension upgrade along with 4.10 gears. ive also stripped off the body moldings, and painted the trim rings on my a/c vents and done mods in sig. the only thing i cannont re-install is the ram air plates in the hood when the BG ram air kit was installed years ago. i still have the baffles. i don't know if that will eventually take away from the value of my car, or if it will turn into a "nostaligic" part from years past one of these days that won't affect, or may even make the value more (15-20 years later). Very doubtful that will happen, but who knows. but i do think that people in a higher mileage category may not benifit much from the trouble of keeping, and then re-installing used factory pieces, unless they plan on using those aftermarket parts on another project, or they know they can get a good price. one plus in keeping your old parts-you won't have to scour the junkyards and internet looking for all those parts everybody else just threw away (if restoring back to stock). in my experience of selling my own cars, the cars that have been modded even with just minor bolt on-s seems to take AWAY value. only once did it increase the value, and that car wasn't really for sale, but the person knew i had it, knew the work and amount of money i had in it, and knew how i took care of it. he wasn't mechanically inclined and he figured the only way to get a car like that was to pay for it. i named my price and i got it. maybe i just got lucky
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Launching!

2300 miles and kept all my stock parts for sure....never know what these things might be worth one day
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
either way. putting it back to stock will get you more money in the long run because the mods don't really add value to the car, back to stock and selling the performance parts will get you more money back 9 out of 10 times
Thats been my experience also plus I'm a bit of a hoarder and keep everything anyway but performance parts seem to have no value once installed.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had kept all the stock parts on my TTA. When I sold it, the new owner didn't want the stock parts because I was asking $1K more for the car with them included.

I ended up selling all of the stock stuff for about $4500 on ebay and the boards. So I didn't mind
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I have a 2002 Firebird Formula Trans Am with all stock parts except for the WS9 Hood on it and a K&n Air filter, its good to keep it all stock for later years if you want to put it up for auction
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only have the stock 853 heads/cam,ws6 lid,and a/c parts left,everything else is gone,i know i wont sell my car ever!i will prob sell the parts i have left also.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:54 AM
TECH Regular

i threw everything out, thats because im keeping the car till i crash it and it cant be saved anymore... these cars have not kept their value stock or not, like other cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's modified their WS6 and kept ALL the stock parts?