Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

gmmg brass id tag dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gmmg brass id tag dimensions

looking for someone who would have the dimensions of the brass tag on the door pillar thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still trying to build that FAKE Tom Henry SS? NOT A GOOD IDEA!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Someone on this site has a real Tom Henry for sale. It’s a very nice car and reasonably priced.

In my opinion, if I was making a clone… I wouldn’t add the brass tag. I think once you start doing that, you leave yourself open to someone misinterpreting your intentions. Someone may confuse your idea of recreating the real thing to trying to fool someone. I’m NOT saying that’s what you’re doing. I’m just saying it may appear that way to other people.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default You're opening up a can or worms!

I agree 100% with Sebring00 & wake00.

Forget about the brass tag - This was a GMMG deal & I'd bet Tom Henry Racing will have something to say about this. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I personally (my opinion) don't think anyone should attempt to build any GMMG 'clone'.

Step up & invest in the real deal. I'd bet you'll have way more money in the 'clone' than if you bought the real deal.

TH #5 & #32 are for sale at this time.

Just my 2 cents. Jim

How do other GMMG owners feel?

Last edited by daytonajim; 11-11-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

first let me say that im not building this car with the intention to sell its for me period! Face facts this car is gonna happen so bitching and moaning about how a car is going to hurt the value of youre real car is a giant waste of time. Its funny how many tributes and cloned cars are out ther includeing yenkos copos nickeys what ever was possible and popular at the time yet muscle car values werent hurt by these clones but by the **** economy. Since i spent my money on the car i have im not going to buy someone elses beat on car period. Its funny how Jim comes from behind to put me under the bus after i have spoken with him multiple times about what im doing and went so far as to provide him with the correct part number to the mirror that gmmg put in the car since he mentioned that one of his cars needed one. Also you die hard gmmg guys if you care about youre cars and there heritage so much has anyone of you stopped and thought gee i wonder how matt is doing after all he has been through? Has anyone tried to contact him and make sure hes ok? i bet not. Yet i have thought about that and went so far as to get his contact info. See to me this is a hobby where fellow camaro lovers as myself should be able to seek a goal set your mind to it and get it done. Theres enough drama in this world right now and the added bullshit from the negative people on here is really not needed and you should get over youre self. So in conclusion i will have my plate by the end of this week and it will go on the car. Also i spoke to tom henry on the phone about what i am doing. He wasnt willing to help with some things but with others maybe. So thats how he feels Jim

Last edited by Bloombox1; 11-16-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wake00
Someone on this site has a real Tom Henry for sale. It’s a very nice car and reasonably priced.

In my opinion, if I was making a clone… I wouldn’t add the brass tag. I think once you start doing that, you leave yourself open to someone misinterpreting your intentions. Someone may confuse your idea of recreating the real thing to trying to fool someone. I’m NOT saying that’s what you’re doing. I’m just saying it may appear that way to other people.
Thanks for voiceing youre opinion and not being a ******* about it. The plate is not a exact piece but is close
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

I think Wake00 said it best! But you have been open with your intentions from the start. I dosen't appear that you are trying to mislead anyone. There are some people who are trying to pass cars off as GMMG's. Jim has told me about at least one occation. The way he got him to tell the truth was to ask to see the door tag. So the door tag might be going too far. On car Domain there is a Trans am a guy is trying to pass off as the real Blackbird #21. Only problem is Blackbird #21 was black and not pewter. I cannot speak for Matt but I believe that was a big reason for the door tag was because of people trying to clone GMMG's and try to pass them off as the real thing. I hope you do get a hold of Matt. I would be interested to hear his thoughts on this. What number are you going to put on the rearview mirror and lower left hand side of the windshield? This could be another sticking point. By the way several GMMG owners have tried to contact Matt over the last couple years with no luck and believe me that has everything to do with Matt!

Year One Blackbird #4 380HP
35th Anniversary Edition #9 380HP

Last edited by jim simon; 11-11-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are/have been several 4th Gen F-Bodies posing as GMMGs. I'am sure there will be more in the future. Most owners of early Yenko clones have admitted it cost as much as or more to clone the car vs buying the real McCoy. This is what wake00 was trying to tell Bloombox1, but I don't think it sunk in. I saw a beautiful example of a GMMG TRIBUTE car at Earnhardt Inc. several years ago. It had color keyed hood and deck stripes, matte black taillight panel, chambered exhaust, GMMG emblems, etc. It did NOT have a door tag and rightfully so. The owner said Matt gave the car his blessing because it was not posing as any specific series and was tastefully done.

Matt added the door tag reminiscent of the Yenkos and to ID the car as GMMG built. It must be decoded properly to make sense. In addition, the engines are marked and keyed to a particular body and series. This holds true for the cars that were upgraded from phase I.

I really can't see Tom Henry giving a non-owner much useful info beyond the obvious visual cues.

I've had a couple of people ask me how to clone a GMMG car. I always tell them the same thing - Don't do it, its not worth the expense and hassle. Instead, build a tastefully done GMMG tribute as described above.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Im not going to pose this car off as the real deal. The tag that will be on the car is different then the real one but is close. The car will have number 33 on the mirror and by the vin. Anyone who knows anything about these cars will know that only 32 were built. 1 arctic white vert with a auto. As far as the tag is concerned whats the point of doing a tastefull tribute car if isnt close to being correct. My car is not a 01 or 02 but is a 98 which looking at the engine is another clue its not a real car. The intake and various other items are different on my car. My airbox lid will be a slp unit painted to look like carbon fiber but not a whisper lid that is carbon fiber like the real cars just one example. Im not trying to start trouble in the world of real gmmg owners. Im just trying to have my own little piece of these cars while enjoying the looks and performance of these cars. As far as being a hassle to do this i for one dont think it is because its a challange to 1 find parts and get them. 2 to do the research to make sure there correct. 3 to meet and talk to new people about them. Also theres many owners of these cars missing emblems and decals that they cant get now or maybe have had a accident with one and need replacement decals. I have found some one local who is able to re produce them. Which could be helpfull to whomever. Thats the fun i have had in doing this project things like that. When the car is 100% done i will post pics and you can have youre own thought on what i have done but for now again im not going to pass it off as the real deal. Also i have no intention of selling this car ever so thats not a concern either.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, if it was me, I'd want to rename the car if I was going through all the trouble. Whenever I get around to building my dream Camaro, I'm going to call it the Brangeta Z28 and have custom door sill plates made as well as an emblem for the rear. It'd be cool if you had the windshield banner say John Doe SS or whatever your name might be and number it 01. Everyone usually cares more about #1 so it'd be a bit more of a conversation piece at car shows.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Bloombox, I have to say I agree with the rest of the guys (Jim, Wake and Sebring).

I think you also took what Jim was respectfully telling you very personal and made a complete a$$ of yourself. Judging by your bad grammar and improper use of words your probably not that old, just have a little respect.

I don't see how a brass tag will help you in any way. Especially not when they have to look past your '98 steering wheel and open the door (with the black mirror) to see the tag. I think you are never going to be happy with a clone and in the long run, maybe (100% positive actually) when your older, you'll say "I should have just bought a real one."

If you did a search you would find threads that were based on trying to find Matt.

Just remeber if you weren't looking for advice and help you wouldn't be posting on the internet in a forum.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlaw380
Bloombox, I have to say I agree with the rest of the guys (Jim, Wake and Sebring).

I think you also took what Jim was respectfully telling you very personal and made a complete a$$ of yourself. Judging by your bad grammar and improper use of words your probably not that old, just have a little respect.

I don't see how a brass tag will help you in any way. Especially not when they have to look past your '98 steering wheel and open the door (with the black mirror) to see the tag. I think you are never going to be happy with a clone and in the long run, maybe (100% positive actually) when your older, you'll say "I should have just bought a real one."

If you did a search you would find threads that were based on trying to find Matt.

Just remeber if you weren't looking for advice and help you wouldn't be posting on the internet in a forum.
Advice and help yes. Negativity no. No worry no one will be looking past a 98 steering wheel or a black mirror! I will be very happy with my car.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bloombox1

Advice and help yes. Negativity no. No worry no one will be looking past a 98 steering wheel or a black mirror! I will be very happy with my car.
Advice isn't always what you want to hear, that's why you look to guys who know what they are talking about. Your going to do what you want and that's fine, but don't expect everyone to agree with you and then throw a fit when they don't.

Question;
So after you buy the wheels and paint them, get the brass badge, the stickers, suspension, brakes, tune, exhaust, lid, shifter, antenna, mirror, etc etc the list goes on...... how much do you really think you would be better off by not buying a real one?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlaw380
Advice isn't always what you want to hear, that's why you look to guys who know what they are talking about. Your going to do what you want and that's fine, but don't expect everyone to agree with you and then throw a fit when they don't.

Question;
So after you buy the wheels and paint them, get the brass badge, the stickers, suspension, brakes, tune, exhaust, lid, shifter, antenna, mirror, etc etc the list goes on...... how much do you really think you would be better off by not buying a real one?
Already have everything except the gauges. I have someone that has 6 extra sets of gmmg gauges for a thss so i will buy one off of him and ill be done. I was also able to get all real gmmg stickers and dash plaque for the car.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion as a "Real" GMMG car owner..........Aahhhh nevermind you wouldnt care anyway. I am sorry but I have NEVER understood the mentality of Clones of anything. Yenko, 69 Z28, GMMG etc. I dont get it. To me, It is black and white.....It either is one or its not! And if its not, do your OWN thing with it.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

It's pointless to add the brass tag as why add that when you obviously are building a clone? For one thing the brass tag has a code on "BOTH SIDES" that only Matt Murphy can decipher so why add this piece of "hidden" authenticity unless you plan to try to pass this off as the real thing? I think that's why everyone is jumping your ****.

I built a SS car in the spirit of a TH car but no where on the car does it say GMMG or TH, instead I used a defunct 60's super car builder's logo and name and made my own.

If I was at a car show and for example saw a 4th gen with Dana Chevrolet info on it, I'd be like "now there's a real Camaro enthusiast as that guy knows his history." Vs. if I saw a 98 cloned to be a 01-02 GMMG car down to the window numbers which I would then immediately see as someone trying to misrepresent their car.

Just buy the basically brand new red 02 TH that's a freaking steal, instead of trying to pass off a tired 98 as one. I would be willing to bet $5000 that that red 02 is in 1000 times better condition than your 98 and well worth the money.

Flame away

Quick Reply: gmmg brass id tag dimensions