did ss's all come with an slp lid? - LS1TECH

Log In 


Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

did ss's all come with an slp lid?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 952
Default did ss's all come with an slp lid?

im looking at a 2000 ss, and its advertised as an slp.......the only options it has looks to be an slp lid, and a strut tower brace....(but is that an slp option)? i know to look for y2y, but . but how can i tell byy looking at the suspension weather it got any y2y options? i also know too look for the slp option sticker also, but is it possible to be an slp ss without having a door sticker? isnt the door sticker only for additional add ons other than the basic hood, spoiler, and exhaust? so did a non slp ss come with an slp lid?
Floorman279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Coy
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 1,329
Default

No. The 98-01 cars all had a regular lid with baffles. The 02 cars with the 345hp package recieved the Blackwing lid.
Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 952
Default

also bilstein shocks are yellow as opposed to the z28 orange ones right?

o and the baffles were for the "functioning) ram air? because this advertised 2000 slp ss has an slp lid so maybe they got rid of the baffle lid
Floorman279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
 
TransAmWS.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,247
Default

The WU8 code is for SS alteration, the Y2Y will indicate whether or not it has the SLP add on's. If you look at the passenger side door, there should be a sticker on there that breaks down the individual options it has.

In regards to the suspension, the only thing that you could easily see that would indicate an SLP add-on would be the shocks. Also, you could get the SLP "Blackwing" lid on these cars as an option, but they all didn't come with it.
TransAmWS.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
11 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
kenp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati Area
Posts: 758
Default

No they didn't come with an SLP air box lid. There was an optional Blackwing lid.

Every 4th gen SS was an SLP car. There was the base SS package and then there were additional SLP options. Every car went to SLP for the hood, SS rear spoiler, wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, SS badges, etc. SLP owned the SS option on the Camaro at that point and they advertised & promoted it, not GM.

If you want to confirm the car is a real SS, get the serial # & call SLP.
kenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Coy
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 1,329
Default

The baffles I am referring to are the ones behind the stock lid to reduce noise. No SLP car recieved any lid other than the Blackwing, or the regular LS1 air lid.
Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
sepsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa-ish
Posts: 1,004
Default

Can the baffles/ribs be removed to smooth out the stock lid, or would it be a waste of time?

Last edited by sepsis; 01-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
sepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
TECH Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
libertyforall1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 2,104
Default

No, my 2001 SS did not.
libertyforall1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
jimmyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 12,513
Default

Mine didn't, an alleged 335HP option set having only
the CME exhaust. I bought mine retail.
jimmyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Captain Double Post
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Elyria Ohio
Posts: 1,664
Default

Sep that is a fail idea, the baffles are such a restriction
BOBS99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
sepsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa-ish
Posts: 1,004
Default

I thought so but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks.
sepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 21,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp View Post
No they didn't come with an SLP air box lid. There was an optional Blackwing lid.

Every 4th gen SS was an SLP car. There was the base SS package and then there were additional SLP options. Every car went to SLP for the hood, SS rear spoiler, wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, SS badges, etc. SLP owned the SS option on the Camaro at that point and they advertised & promoted it, not GM.

If you want to confirm the car is a real SS, get the serial # & call SLP.
Best post in the thread
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 21,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman279 View Post
so did a non slp ss come with an slp lid?
There is no such thing as a non-SLP SS. Every SS is a product of SLP, which was the GM-contracted source for every SS conversion on every 4th gen Camaro SS.

The "SLP" lid option was a Blackwing lid, and was part of the optional 345hp package. This was not a standard part of the SS package, nor is this the same lid that SLP sells today as an aftermarket part.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
TECH Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
69camaross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 456
Default

Since no one has really answered your question I'll get you the info you need.

1. SLP air lid, NO this was not factory on a 2000. ALL 1998-2000s came with the stock GM air lid.

2. SLP strut bar, NO this was not factory on any Camaro

3. SLP content
A. WU8 SS = hood, spoiler, chrome tips, 10 spoke wheels, SS badges
B. Y2Y SS = all of the WU8 stuff plus whatever optional SLP equipment was ordered by the original owner. As mentioned the sticker on the passenger door will tell you everything you need to know about what Y2Y options were installed.
69camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 1,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Best post in the thread
Well, except this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp
SLP owned the SS option on the Camaro at that point and they advertised & promoted it, not GM.
I don't believe SLP ever "owned" the SS. All advertizing I remember seeing for the SS was from Cheverolet (GM), and the cars were promoted as the "Chevy Camaro SS". They may have referred to SLP in the footnotes of the ad, and SLP may have promoted themselves as the "exclusive contracted company who provides conversion services for the Chevy Camaro SS" or whatever. But "ownership" is another thing altogether.

Now the Firehawk, that is a different story.
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
11 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
kenp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati Area
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
Well, except this part:



I don't believe SLP ever "owned" the SS. All advertizing I remember seeing for the SS was from Cheverolet (GM), and the cars were promoted as the "Chevy Camaro SS". They may have referred to SLP in the footnotes of the ad, and SLP may have promoted themselves as the "exclusive contracted company who provides conversion services for the Chevy Camaro SS" or whatever. But "ownership" is another thing altogether.

Now the Firehawk, that is a different story.
Sorry, but you beliefs are misplaced. I have the original literature and promotional VHS Tape from SLP regarding the 4th Gen SS.

From 1996 through 2002, SLP Engineering had the exclusive erights to modify the base Camaro Z28 and produce the Camaro SS. That is an ownership right.

I'm looking at the Owner's Manual Supplement that came with my 2002 Camaro SS and the 1st page opens up to a photo of an SS with the SLP employees surrounding it. No GM/Chevrolet employees/representatives. The back of the supplement has the SLP Engineering logo and web site. The accompanying letter is not from Chevrolet or even the Performance Division, it is from Ed Hamburger, President, SLP Engineering, Inc. It tells us that since 1996, SLP has worked with Chevrolet to bring us the best Camaro SS, from design, to engineering, assembly, and customer service .... from today's #1 niche vehicle production company.

Under Answers to Commonly Asked Questions: "SLP warrants all SLP installed components for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first....All SLP warranty service must be performed through an authorized Chevrolet dealer."

SLP engaged in development of the 4th Gen SS without any production number guarantees from GM. Slp assumed the risk. SLP marketed the SS, not GM or Chevrolet. As part of the deal, of course, it remained a CHEVROLET CAMARO. Could you buy a 4th Gen SS without a Z28 being manufactured and then shipped to SLP Engineering to be turned into an SS? NO. If you want to authenticate a 4th Gen SS, do you call GM or Chevrolet? NO. SLP has and maintains the records of authentic 4th Gen SS vehicles and the options installed. Every 4th Gen Camaro SS has/had a door manufacturer sticker from SLP Engineering. Every 4th Gen Camaro SS went directly from SLP Engineering to the Chevrolet dealer for delivery, another agreement between SLP and GM to deliver the SS through the dealership network and provide a vehicle for manufacturer warranty.

Did GM/Chevrolet sell the name Camaro or SS or Camaro SS to SLP Engineering? NO. Did SLP have excliusive rights to the production of the Camaro SS? YES.

I'm not going to engage in a Clintonesque debate over what the meaning of "is" is.
kenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
TECH Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
69camaross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp View Post
Sorry, but you beliefs are misplaced. I have the original literature and promotional VHS Tape from SLP regarding the 4th Gen SS.

From 1996 through 2002, SLP Engineering had the exclusive erights to modify the base Camaro Z28 and produce the Camaro SS. That is an ownership right.

I'm looking at the Owner's Manual Supplement that came with my 2002 Camaro SS and the 1st page opens up to a photo of an SS with the SLP employees surrounding it. No GM/Chevrolet employees/representatives. The back of the supplement has the SLP Engineering logo and web site. The accompanying letter is not from Chevrolet or even the Performance Division, it is from Ed Hamburger, President, SLP Engineering, Inc. It tells us that since 1996, SLP has worked with Chevrolet to bring us the best Camaro SS, from design, to engineering, assembly, and customer service .... from today's #1 niche vehicle production company.

Under Answers to Commonly Asked Questions: "SLP warrants all SLP installed components for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first....All SLP warranty service must be performed through an authorized Chevrolet dealer."

SLP engaged in development of the 4th Gen SS without any production number guarantees from GM. Slp assumed the risk. SLP marketed the SS, not GM or Chevrolet. As part of the deal, of course, it remained a CHEVROLET CAMARO. Could you buy a 4th Gen SS without a Z28 being manufactured and then shipped to SLP Engineering to be turned into an SS? NO. If you want to authenticate a 4th Gen SS, do you call GM or Chevrolet? NO. SLP has and maintains the records of authentic 4th Gen SS vehicles and the options installed. Every 4th Gen Camaro SS has/had a door manufacturer sticker from SLP Engineering. Every 4th Gen Camaro SS went directly from SLP Engineering to the Chevrolet dealer for delivery, another agreement between SLP and GM to deliver the SS through the dealership network and provide a vehicle for manufacturer warranty.

Did GM/Chevrolet sell the name Camaro or SS or Camaro SS to SLP Engineering? NO. Did SLP have excliusive rights to the production of the Camaro SS? YES.

I'm not going to engage in a Clintonesque debate over what the meaning of "is" is.
Your information is true up until 2000 when SLP and GM "had it out." All 00-02 SS, unless they had a Y2Y RPO, were void of any SLP indentification.
69camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
35thAnniversaryPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 123
Default

Ok, here we go guys, listen very closely.

1996...GM is still using the LT1 engine, Z28 has 275HP, GM brings back the SS name with SLP, SS has 305HP

1997...Z28 is 275HP, SS is 305HP, SLP introduces the LT4 SS with 330HP.

1998...GM introduces the LS1, Z28 is now 305HP, The SS is now 320HP and SLP offers a high flow exhaust with no advertised HP gain

1999...Same as 1998

2000...Same as 1998

2001...Z28 is now 310HP, SS is now 325HP, SLP offers a 335HP option with the help of a new high flow exhaust

2002...Z28 is 310HP, SS is 325HP, SLP offers a 335HP option with the help of a high flow exhaust, SLP also offers a 345HP option with the same high flow exhaust in combination with a high flow air lid(Blackwing air lid)

2002 is the most powerful year for 4th gen F-bodies.

Last edited by 35thAnniversaryPhil; 02-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.
35thAnniversaryPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How rare is this car? 01stepsideZ71 Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 19 05-22-2015 08:20 PM
Camaro SS SLP...How can you verify? thaemcee2 Special Edition Vehicles 2 08-08-2012 04:54 PM
Y2Y RPO code help 01BlueSS1995 New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 6 05-28-2012 02:03 PM
y2y options sportsaddict_21 Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 7 11-10-2006 03:06 PM


Tags
01, 02, 1998, 2002, camaro, code, engine, hood, lid, options, package, slp, ss, vent, whisper

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.