Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

01 SS Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 SS Rear End Noise

I am getting quite a bit of noise from the back of my '01 SS over the last month or so and am looking for advice. The car has the factory limited slip (not the optional one from SLP) and has 54,000 mostly highway miles on it. Originally it sounded like tire noise - my rears were very worn - I put new OEM tires (SLP take-off tires and rims) and it made no difference. I knew that the iner rear brake pades were getting preety worn, so I replaced those (didn't mill the calipers), no difference. Last weekend I jacked it up, put jack stands under the axle and ran it through the gears (works better with the traction control off!!), didn't really hear it, had my daughter run it through the gears, didn't really hear it, but when the tires were spinning down (slowing up with the clutch in) I heard a fair amount of scraping, more than I should of had coming from the brake pad and caliper, coming from the left side - I'm wandering if it is the emergency brake on that side - I could turn the left wheel by hand with the e-brake set but could not turn the right wheel. All along I had been thinking the differential was making the noise - with the car not running and still up on jacks when I turn the left wheel by hand the right one doesn't turn - it has been my experience in the past with a limited slip when you turn one wheel, with both jacked up, the other wheel should turn the same way - is something wrong hear? Since I drive the car 95 miles per day the noise is getting annoying and it is drowning out the noise (while cruising) of the new SLP slip fit exhaust I put on last weekend. By the way when driving down the highway the noise still continues if I flip the car in nuetral and shut the engine off at highway speeds - I usually don't hear it until I get above about 30 mph. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Kevin,
I am pretty sure that you have the Torsen differential in your SS. This limited slip does not work like other LSD's. It uses no pre-loaded clutches but rather a series of worm gears. The pre-load on the clutches of an old school LSD is what makes the two tires turn in the same direction while the tires are off the ground. The free spinning gears of the Torsen allow the differential to turn freely as long as both tires have traction. Hence the reason that you can turn one tire without the other turning in the same direction.

As for what is causing your problem, it sounds like a damaged e-brake. You should not be able to turn either rear tire with the e-brake set. Did you're old brake pads have abnormal wear on the left side compared to the right side? If so, it is a sure sign there is something wrong with the caliper or e-brake mechanism. Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 09-26-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Quick question, Do you have any leaks coming from the Rearend? I just had my rearend rebuilt do to a seal blowing out and drained all the lube out. Causing to burn up all the internals to the rear end....If anything drain the pumpkin, and open it up, if it smells burnt, you might wanna take it to a shop and have them replace everything.

It cost me $1042 to have mine COMPLETELY rebuilt. Pinion bear all the way down to every seal.....Maybe breaks, but I would check that just in case. can NEVEr be to causious with something like that...

Quick Reply: 01 SS Rear End Noise