Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Rear Light Cluster Problem (2000 SS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Light Cluster Problem (2000 SS)

So I just got my 2000 SS convertible, and the token problem with it was that the right rear light lens was cracked open (shopping cart, apparently), and water had gotten inside from rain and car-washing. So tonight I took off the lens and emptied out the collected water, and tested the lights and found that the turn signal and reverse lights were fine, but one of the two brake lights wasn't working. I took all the bulbs out and discovered that the harnesses (I think that's what they're called) on all but the reverse light were wet, and in the case of the dead brake light, the contacts had rusted to hell on the bulb and the harness.

So here are my questions... what kind of bulbs do I need for the various lights? I think I only need to replace that one brake light (the larger of the two), but it'd be nice to know the specs of them all. Also, are there special names for each of the two light bulbs in the brake light, the bigger one and the smaller one? I know one of them is the brake light itself, and the other one comes on with the headlights. Next, if I have to replace the harnesses (due to rust), how would I go about doing that? And are they called harnesses in the first place? Do they have part numbers and the like?

Finally, is there a place where I can go for info like this, newbie tech specs? I'm getting Haynes and Chilton manuals ASAP, but until then I'd like to avoid asking newbie questions if possible. Also, where's the best place to get a hold of an owner's manual, and is there some kind of Chevy factory service manual available?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would be better off copying this post in the Stereo/Electrical forum, since that's where the electrical gurus hang out.
Good Luck.