Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

New car... Slp options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car...Slp options?

I just bought a 2000 Camaro ss w/44000 miles. And I my slp tag in the door is all faded and cant be read. And I want to know what performance options and other options my car came with. Is there another tag somewhere or can I look it up using the vin number?
thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

call SLP with your vin
Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Or easier, just look on the passenger side door jamb. It should have a sticker with all the options installed. It might not be there though if your car got in an accident and got a new door, they usually dont switch em over. But just look there and it will say everything it has, mine has one.

Oops. sorry, didnt read where it was faded

Last edited by brad02somss; 01-23-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: didnt fully read the original post
Old 01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
call SLP with your vin
Just a word of caution - you may or may not get accurate info about your car.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

what do you mean?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:56 PM

e-mail SLP with your vin #.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

does anyone have an email address for slp. I work all day and dont have time to call them during their business hours.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hell'sChariot
does anyone have an email address for slp. I work all day and dont have time to call them during their business hours.
Don't waste your time. Ed Hamburg and Company are out of business as far as SS cars are concerned.

Best bet is to contact the original owner and see if he/she has any original paperwork..ie, window stickers, bill of sale, that list Slp options if any were installed.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

You could just physically check your car to see what options it came with. Most would be easy to recognize. SLP options (off the top of my head):

SS floormats
SS rear deck mat (like a floormat for the area behind the rear seats)
Bilstein shocks
SS-logo front bumper grille
Center mount quad-tip exhaust
SLP Dual/dual exhaust (has two tips on each side)
SLP "blackwing" lid (different from stock airbox assembly)
SS key fob
SS dash plaque

There are probably some more, I just can't think of them at the moment.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good info Firebird and well worth checking. However..........................

How can a new owner recognize the following:
1. Optional rear gear ratios? Three were available.
2. What Posi unit? Two could be had.
3. Bilstein shocks. Infinate adjustables were available.
4. Cat-Back exhaust. Two without headers/ One with headers.

And the list goes on and on. Knowing the right people and you had the $$ could get top shelf stuff with or without a SLP sticker.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Good info Firebird and well worth checking. However..........................

How can a new owner recognize the following:
1. Optional rear gear ratios? Three were available.
2. What Posi unit? Two could be had.
3. Bilstein shocks. Infinate adjustables were available.
4. Cat-Back exhaust. Two without headers/ One with headers.

And the list goes on and on. Knowing the right people and you had the $$ could get top shelf stuff with or without a SLP sticker.
1. SS's came with 3.23 for autos and 3.42's for a 6 speed
2. If you don't have a sticker, pull off the rear cover and look (The optional auburn differentials have an aluminum cover also)
3. There was only 1 type of Bilstein package offered each year, and they were not adjustable.
4. No headers were available as an option. You could have either the base dual tip exhaust, the quad tip exhaust(aka dual/dual), or center mount exhaust in the later year cars
Old 02-01-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I called SLP in late November oe early December and they gave me my build number in like 2 minutes. I have heard of one guy buying a car off of someone and her told the new owner the build number SLP gave him. The new owner than called SLP to confirm and they gave him a different number. So they still will tell you, but i would call a few times durin the week and ask for it and see if you get the same one.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Don't waste your time. Ed Hamburg and Company are out of business as far as SS cars are concerned.

Best bet is to contact the original owner and see if he/she has any original paperwork..ie, window stickers, bill of sale, that list Slp options if any were installed.

Good luck.
Not completely true.I was able to get a complete copy of the build sheet for my car.Wasn't cheap though.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

how much are we talking?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
1. SS's came with 3.23 for autos and 3.42's for a 6 speed
2. If you don't have a sticker, pull off the rear cover and look (The optional auburn differentials have an aluminum cover also)
3. There was only 1 type of Bilstein package offered each year, and they were not adjustable.
4. No headers were available as an option. You could have either the base dual tip exhaust, the quad tip exhaust(aka dual/dual), or center mount exhaust in the later year cars
You are listing the standard features that all 00 SS cars received from the factory. If a person "ordered" a SS and I stress "ordered" thru a knowledgable Chevy dealer, any number of options could be had for the $$. These additional options were installed after the car left the Ste-Therese plant, but still covered under the factory warrenty.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

You are listing the standard features that all 00 SS cars received from the factory. If a person "ordered" a SS and I stress "ordered" thru a knowledgable Chevy dealer, any number of options could be had for the $$. These additional options were installed after the car left the Ste-Therese plant, but still covered under the factory warrenty.
No I'm not. These additional options you speak of were part of rpo Y2Y. All base SS camaros had RPO WU8 which simply included a larger front sway bar with bushings, hood, wheels, spoiler, and a base catback. Y2Y cars were sent to SLP to get additional modifications such as Bilstein suspension, which was not adjustable, 1LE suspension, which included adjustable konis, either a dual/dual catback or center mount exhaust, car cover, floor mats, portfolio, rear deck mat, 345HP package which included one of the catbacks already mentioned and a blackwing lid, chrome wheels, etc. You could not order additional modifications through GM or SLP such as different rear end ratios or headers. Those may have been offered through certain dealerships as aftermarket packages, but were not from GM, nor do they have an RPO code. Trust me, I know all about the available options, as I have all of them on my 2002 SS.

EDIT: If you have an SS, check out your SLP owners manual. It will tell you exactly what could be ordered.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T-rex
Not completely true.I was able to get a complete copy of the build sheet for my car.Wasn't cheap though.
Sounds like you got what is available thru the GM vehicle inquiry system which list a so called build sheet, vehicle component, dealer info, etc. Its good info, but hope you didn't pay too much.

Fourth generation F-bodys didn't come from the factory with a "build sheet" like the early cars. The most detailed 'paper' about a car is called the manifest from Ste-Therese and contains over 120 items pertaining to a specific car. Some of the info is actually in French. Lucky owners have found them in the glove box.

Correct me if I'am wrong please.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

What I have came from SLP not GM.I know there is a difference.I did the same thing with my '99 SS that I had prior to this one.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you got what is available thru the GM vehicle inquiry system which list a so called build sheet, vehicle component, dealer info, etc. Its good info, but hope you didn't pay too much.

Fourth generation F-bodys didn't come from the factory with a "build sheet" like the early cars. The most detailed 'paper' about a car is called the manifest from Ste-Therese and contains over 120 items pertaining to a specific car. Some of the info is actually in French. Lucky owners have found them in the glove box.

Correct me if I'am wrong please.
i have one of those also have the window stickers and original purchase sheet from the original owner.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

What did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ?