Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2002 35th Anniversary SS Limited Editions - Check in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What are these worth?

Can you guys help me out and tell me, in your opinion, what these cars are worth today? I am looking to pick up a LE 35th Anniversary SS. Both these cars are bone-stock and in excellent condition, AFAIK.

Car #1: 6 speed, T-tops, Hurst shifter, all available options EXCEPT no SLP options. 47 miles (stored since new). Asking $28,500.

Car #2: Same as car #1 with these differences: 6100 miles (approx.), SLP Blackwing lid, SLP CME exhaust, Bilstein suspension, & upgraded rear differential. Asking $26,000.

Which of these cars is a better deal? I really wanted the SLP options (except the differential, don't care about that), but the other car is basically brand-new, plus it's much closer to me.

OTOH, car # 2 has all the SLP options I wanted, still has very low mileage for a four year old car, and is cheaper. But what if it has been abused? You know that isn't the case with a car that has been stored since new.

Advice, please. TIA!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSS
Car #1: 6 speed, T-tops, Hurst shifter, all available options EXCEPT no SLP options. 47 miles (stored since new). Asking $28,500.

Car #2: Same as car #1 with these differences: 6100 miles (approx.), SLP Blackwing lid, SLP CME exhaust, Bilstein suspension, & upgraded rear differential. Asking $26,000.

Advice, please. TIA!
vert's cost more than t-top cars. I bought mine on ebay, buy it now price was 28k........i offered 24k and payed 24k. Had 3,216 miles on it.(sticker and options original owner paid 44k) My opinion you can work with either of them and see which one will come down on the price. You can get cheeper elsewhere so they should be willing to at least dicuss dropping the price. search ebay - you'll find quite a few there. Both those cars sound very nice, I would have liked to have an m6 car with CME, but am happy with my plain jane a4 vert. Sometimes can find a good deal.

You will find MOST LE owners are fanatics with their cars so wouldn't worry to much about them being abused. I'm the exception, I race the crap out of my car and drive it like it was stolen.......not a garage queen anymore
Old 02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response.

I intend to drive the car, I may even modify it, which I know is sacrilege (sp?) to the true collector.

The $26,000 car (in New Jersey) is sold.

Is the essentially brand-new car (in North Carolina) worth the $28,500 he is asking? It's only got 47 miles on the odometer.

He told me somebody had already offered him $27,000, and he refused it; so if there's any flex in his price it's not much.

I would really like to find a 6 speed, T-top LE with the following SLP options: intake, exhaust, and Bilstein suspension.

Anybody seen one of those around for sale? Preferably low mileage?

TIA for any help!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can it be good for the car to be 4 years old with only 47 miles on it? Is it good for the car to just sit there for so long? Good luck finding what your looking for!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

like travis said, you will hve to do some maintenance on the car you normally wouldn't. PInion seals, rubber gaskets...etc will tend to need replacing (had to do on mine with only 10,000 miles on it. Not to bad to do, just expect it to have a few things mechanicly that need some T.L.C.

There is an a4 t-top car here on island with CME and some other slp options that's for sale. He's selling for any resonable offer. I'll get the number for you so can talk to him and get the details. Shipping on my car from indiana to hawaii was 1900
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by rule 7 ss
like travis said, you will hve to do some maintenance on the car you normally wouldn't. PInion seals, rubber gaskets...etc will tend to need replacing (had to do on mine with only 10,000 miles on it. Not to bad to do, just expect it to have a few things mechanicly that need some T.L.C.

There is an a4 t-top car here on island with CME and some other slp options that's for sale. He's selling for any resonable offer. I'll get the number for you so can talk to him and get the details. Shipping on my car from indiana to hawaii was 1900
I really appreciate your help, but I gotta have a 6 speed. That's non-negotiable.

Tell me this, if the car that has been stored properly, and started up occassionally, it should be OK, right? I wonder if he has changed the fluids? What happens to oil and other fluids if they sit there for four years without being changed?

He said he started the car up fairly regularly, kept the battery on a charger, and put fuel stabilizer in the gas. I'm probably going to go look at it this weekend.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

I bought it today!

Paid $27,500- not bad for a brand-new car. 47 miles on the odometer, still has the new car smell!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

congrats.......register on 35thle.com they keeping a record of all LE's there and LE #'s
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

congrats.......register on 35thle.com they keeping a record of all LE's there and LE #'s
Thanks...and I will register the car on 35thle.com.

Do you guys think it is a bad idea to mod these cars? Aren't they probably worth more bone-stock? I'm really torn on whether or not to modify it.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I said I wouldnt mod mine at all when I got, easier said than done!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

there are two camps for that issue.........one side the collectors who keep their cars in climate controlled garages all original. Then theirs the other camp that thinks it's a waste of a car to just leave it sitting there untouched by a wrench.

I started out leaving it stock then came to my decision to modify and drive the **** out of it.

If you'll be happy with a stock SS then keep her that way. If not, happy wrenching
If you want to wait 30 years for the value to go up then keep it stock.....I couldn't resist the temptation.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Thanks...and I will register the car on 35thle.com.

Do you guys think it is a bad idea to mod these cars? Aren't they probably worth more bone-stock? I'm really torn on whether or not to modify it.

J/K Congratulations! Beautiful car Colin!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

Checkin in...
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

there are two camps for that issue.........one side the collectors who keep their cars in climate controlled garages all original. Then theirs the other camp that thinks it's a waste of a car to just leave it sitting there untouched by a wrench.

I started out leaving it stock then came to my decision to modify and drive the **** out of it.

If you'll be happy with a stock SS then keep her that way. If not, happy wrenching
If you want to wait 30 years for the value to go up then keep it stock.....I couldn't resist the temptation.

I'm going to drive the car...it's not going to be collecting dust in some garage. I'm going to start off with some bolt-ons, but I don't want to mess up what the factory did right- just enhance it, if you know what I mean.

Stock the car rides so much smoother, quieter, and is easier to drive than my 99 which had a 408 and was modded to the hilt. Of course, it isn't as fast and doesn't handle as well, but it is much more pleasant to drive on the street. I don't want to ruin the inherent goodness and reliability the car came with from the factory. Does that make sense?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk

J/K Congratulations! Beautiful car Colin!

Thanks, Becky! I love the car!

I hope I can be more intelligent and patient in my modding approach with this car.

This car will not see anything bigger than a 220/220 114 LSA cam if I mod the engine internals at all. I really don't like all the issues you run into with bigger cams.

Cams I am considering are: LS6 cam, LPE GT2-3 cam, Thunder's "Old man" cam, and the Comp 212/218 114 LSA cam. What I want is an undetectable, stock idle, stock driveability, more power under the curve, and a cam that will work well with stock heads, stock exhaust manifolds, and stock 3.42 gears.

Or I may have Ed Curtis grind me a custom cam for my application.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I want this car to be stealthy and sneaky fast- my last Camaro you could hear coming from a mile away.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, Becky! I love the car!

I hope I can be more intelligent and patient in my modding approach with this car.

This car will not see anything bigger than a 220/220 114 LSA cam if I mod the engine internals at all. I really don't like all the issues you run into with bigger cams.

Cams I am considering are: LS6 cam, LPE GT2-3 cam, Thunder's "Old man" cam, and the Comp 212/218 114 LSA cam. What I want is an undetectable, stock idle, stock driveability, more power under the curve, and a cam that will work well with stock heads, stock exhaust manifolds, and stock 3.42 gears.

Or I may have Ed Curtis grind me a custom cam for my application.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I want this car to be stealthy and sneaky fast- my last Camaro you could hear coming from a mile away.
NL said 255/264, 620/624, 111LSA would be just perfect! Trust me he said!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

But really that "Old man" cam is really a good cam. And get a set of ported stock exhaust manifolds, they will flow as good as the shorty headers do. I made over 380 rwhp with them and a electric cutout, SLP's 2 1/2" Y-pipe. In fact I am thinking about putting that set back on my car.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
But really that "Old man" cam is really a good cam. And get a set of ported stock exhaust manifolds, they will flow as good as the shorty headers do. I made over 380 rwhp with them and a electric cutout, SLP's 2 1/2" Y-pipe. In fact I am thinking about putting that set back on my car.
LOL at NL! Please tell me what you know about the old man cam, Becky. Can't find a lot of info about it on the boards.

Was that 380 you made with the stock heads and cam, or were you running a cam at that point?

What kind of power do you think could be made with the old man cam?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

LOL at NL! Please tell me what you know about the old man cam, Becky. Can't find a lot of info about it on the boards.

Was that 380 you made with the stock heads and cam, or were you running a cam at that point?

What kind of power do you think could be made with the old man cam?
That was with my 230/232 cam I have now, ported TB, ASP pulley, most all bolt-ons, ported manifolds, gutted cats, 2 1/2 y-pipe through open cutout. The car looked stock and was quite with cutout closed.

I did a research a few years ago when I had someone wanting a real "stock" driving car but with a ton of torque. He said he mother might drive it every now and then and wanted it stock feeling for her. But then wanted to be able to go to the track and runs 7s in the 1/8 mile. I came up with the "old man" cam. I don't remember the torque curves or anything on that now, but it was a good choice for what he wanted.

Quick Reply: 2002 35th Anniversary SS Limited Editions - Check in!